Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2009, 15:00   #31
Team-BHP Support

Good point check the electrical's and charging also. Throttle body cleaning and checking all the spark plug leads and coils also are advised ie if they are weak

EDIT: if you havent done valve/tappet settings in a while, go ahead and do this. Ask them to check the valve springs when they are opening the cover. Just a hunch.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd September 2009 at 15:10.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

1) Inspect entire clutch assy (friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing)
2) Inspect engine mountings
3) Inspect drive shaft, link rods (do tyres show abnormal wear? This can cause stress on engine)
4) Why say engine noise, Did you check gear box? Get it thoroughly checked (gear box bearing noise can cause shudder/judder)

Edit

5) Who does water service for your car? Wrong pressure washing can cause water to enter spark plug distribution box (its a black box, dont know the name) and cause very weak spark.
6) A/c -- are these symptoms with AC or without it? Get it checked too
7) Check ALL FAN BELTS. Do you get any screetchhh noise?

Edit Edit

8) Get the fuel tank checked and pressure washed. Get the float cleaned. Replace ALL fuel pipes.
9) Clean ALL Injectors and Replace Fuel filter.
10) Check Exhaust system thoroughly. Clean muffler, silencer, Catalytic Convertor.
11) Try to get a De-carbonizing done.

End...

Last edited by svsantosh : 2nd September 2009 at 15:35.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:19   #33
BHPian

I feel this is due to the clutch issue, check whether its worn out. It would be better if you take it to the good MASS.
tabrez02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
May be off track...three years old car. When was battery replaced? Is it original? Do you have any troubles starting?
Still original battery. My Swift starts in a fraction of second. So battery is all good.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:40   #35
BHPian

This may sound stupid, but check if the car behaves good on cool days and bad on hot days, also check if the heat gauge rises when the car is behaving badly. My Amby is definetely different on cool days and hot days, my Amby gets all rough on hot days, and is butter smooth on cool days.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:12   #36
BANNED

There is this other thing i ve noticed in my car , when its being redlined at around 5k rpm it suddenly feels like there is something in the engine thats preventing it from revving freely it feels like somethin is chocking. but the engine keeps revving but there is a loss of acceleration which can be felt. This happens sometimes around 4k rpm also there is no defnite point when it happens but i know it shouldn be happening because after a day when the car has not been used all this disappears.
But i ve been observing that she performs really well during a cold day never shows these problems.
Dark_Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

Also check the fuel circuit and ignition completely and thoroughly.

Fuel system: Filter, lines, fuel pump, the wiring/fuse for fuel pump, injector rail, connectors, throttle body, sensors in throttle body and air flow sensors
Ignition: Coil, coil wires, plugs and all the electrical groundings of the system

Have you checked the car using the tech 2 scanner for any residual error in the system, ideally soon after you face this issue again.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
There is this other thing i ve noticed in my car , when its being redlined at around 5k rpm it suddenly feels like there is something in the engine thats preventing it from revving freely it feels like somethin is chocking. but the engine keeps revving but there is a loss of acceleration which can be felt.....
When you are redlining the rev-limiter cuts in and the engine starts missing to prevent over-reving...is this what you are describing? This is normal and a safety feature.
This however should not be happening at RPM below redline.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:24   #39
BANNED

The rev limit is past 6k in a swift petrol i am talking at around 5k or sometimes 4k it happens.
One thing is that all this weird effect has reduced once i changed to fully synth oil but i can still feel it everytime the ghost steps in.
Dark_Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
This may sound stupid, but check if the car behaves good on cool days and bad on hot days....
This does not seem to be the problem. It has been smooth as silk in a Chennai summer and at single digit temperatures in Ooty and Kodai. I too had thought that ambient temperature may be affecting the car, but it does not seem to. Even premium fuel does not guarantee smooth performance. This is some sort of gremlin nobody seems to be able to locate, much less get rid of.
Last couple of days I have been revving harder and shifting to a higher gear only beyond 2500RPM. This seems to help a bit. FE is not really compromised.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:49   #41
BHPian

Today, she is back to ultra smooth mode......no engine noise and great pickup. It rained a bit last night....what a pity I am trying to get all sorts of clues..
Old 4th September 2009, 14:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

ooh, same story i am hearing from one more person. i was plagued by this riddle very much for my alto. it still runs smooth on certain days and harsh on odd days.

well this is all due to atmospheric conditions, the temperature outside, kind or air dry/humid etc. i know that the fuel condition is not affecting this behavior. even my car is perfect mechanically. drive in cold temperatures and car is damn smooth. drive in city with pollution and the engine becomes a bit coarse. drive through the roads with tree canopys and car is again smooth and fast.

i suggest you to get this bug out of your head. waste of time. i have bugged maruti guys a lot. did many tech2 tests. IAT readings change at different times and days and so do other parameters.
i hope you get my point.
still if you want to check this, catch hold of MASS. daily hook in a tech2 and see yourself there are many parameters which change. so does the engine behave differently.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 19:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
I feel this is due to the clutch issue, check whether its worn out. It would be better if you take it to the good MASS.
Did you ever felt that the clutch and gearshift have become hard during the Bad Spell. If yes check your Clutch assembly and Flywheel.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 20:53   #44
BHPian

My swift was having some suspension noise as well. So, over the weekend , I got MASS to replace caliper assembly costing some 3.7 K. Fortunately it was covered under extended warranty.

The main problem of erratic behaviour - As it always happen with me, my Swift behaved like a perfectly smooth car with great pickup and no engine noise in cabin. I was cursing my fate like anything the whole sunday....
It was again "stupid problem of a stupid customer" kinda faces of MASS guys that I have face....

I am going to bear with the problem for some more months as my Swift always lets me down when I took her to MASS. Or I will try new MASS centre in the area...
Old 8th September 2009, 21:11   #45
BHPian

I have also felt my Swift VXI, which runs smoothly most of the times, bit hard on some days. I have started thinking that up-shifting ONLY at around 2.5K RPM in the first few minutes of drive might be making a difference - just a wild guess, really!
naren_gs1 is offline   Reply With Quote