Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 00:42   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy Swift Dzire (Vxi) - 4th gear vibrations

Hi All,

I have a Swift Dizire(Vxi) which is 1000Kms old. I am going to take it for servicing tomorrow. However before that I wanted an advice from experts on a problem I am facing.

In 4th gear, the gear lever vibrates a little which is annoying. It does not vibrate in any other gear, but just the 4th gear. The vibrations do make any sound, but if I put my palm on the lever, I can clearly feel those abnormal vibrations.

Is this expected?. What could be the problem ?

Thanks in advance !!

_Vishal
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:20   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Again,

I just returned from M.A.S.S. They are saying that this is common to all dzire/swifts and cannot be corrected. To be precise the words were - "This is how the system is designed in all the vehicles Sir".

Question to other Dzire/Swift (Petrol) owners - Is this true?. We cannot get rid of 4th gear vibrations on the gear lever ?.

Thanks

Regards
_Vishal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzire View Post
Hi All,

I have a Swift Dizire(Vxi) which is 1000Kms old. I am going to take it for servicing tomorrow. However before that I wanted an advice from experts on a problem I am facing.

In 4th gear, the gear lever vibrates a little which is annoying. It does not vibrate in any other gear, but just the 4th gear. The vibrations do NOT make any sound, but if I put my palm on the lever, I can clearly feel those abnormal vibrations.

Is this expected?. What could be the problem ?

Thanks in advance !!

_Vishal
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:47   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,773
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

The mechanic is obviously feeding you wrong info. There is no such vibrations associated with the Dzire or Swift.

Some gear lever/knob vibrations are common when the car is new as all the components slowly bed in. Just cover a few more miles and this should stop once you near the 4,000 kms mark. If the vibrations still persit, you will have to get the car checked.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:53   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks a lot for your advice GPA.

I would then wait for a few more months and see how does it behave!. Thanks again

_Vishal


Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The mechanic is obviously feeding you wrong info. There is no such vibrations associated with the Dzire or Swift.

Some gear lever/knob vibrations are common when the car is new as all the components slowly bed in. Just cover a few more miles and this should stop once you near the 4,000 kms mark. If the vibrations still persit, you will have to get the car checked.
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:19   #5
BHPian
 
sharma_sanjeevi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 570
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzire View Post
I just returned from M.A.S.S. They are saying that this is common to all dzire/swifts and cannot be corrected. To be precise the words were - "This is how the system is designed in all the vehicles Sir".

Question to other Dzire/Swift (Petrol) owners - Is this true?. We cannot get rid of 4th gear vibrations on the gear lever ?
Hi,

I own a Swift Dzire-VXI from June-2008 till date, i cant feel any vibrations in the gear lever, the M.A.S.S mechanics are definitely making stories that all Swift's / Dzire's have this problem.

Get it checked thoroughly with the M.A.S.S guys.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 17:04   #6
BHPian
 
athalaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 112
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzire View Post
Hi Again,

I just returned from M.A.S.S. They are saying that this is common to all dzire/swifts and cannot be corrected. To be precise the words were - "This is how the system is designed in all the vehicles Sir".

Question to other Dzire/Swift (Petrol) owners - Is this true?. We cannot get rid of 4th gear vibrations on the gear lever ?.

Thanks

Regards
_Vishal
Does this occur at all rpms or is there a particular rpm band at which this occurs.
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:44   #7
jav
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Drive another dzire to check whether the vibrations are there in the 4th gear.

Last edited by jav : 10th August 2009 at 18:46.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 21:22   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Drive another dzire to check whether the vibrations are there in the 4th gear.
absolutely right;it could be that you are shifting into fourth at a low speed and that could be resulting in engine vibrations and consequently some GB vibration.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 10:46   #9
BHPian
 
athalaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 112
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

"absolutely right;it could be that you are shifting into fourth at a low speed and that could be resulting in engine vibrations and consequently some GB vibration."
Precisely why I asked abt the rpm.
"Does this occur at all rpms or is there a particular rpm band at which this occurs."
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:30   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I checked the vibrations yesterday carefully. I dont think this is is due to changing to 4th gear at low speed. The vibration on the gear lever comes only when I press accelerator in 4th gear. The vibration persist in all speeds as long as I in 4th gear. i.e, even @60-70kmph. As soon as I plug out my leg off the accelerator, the vibration vanishes.

As I am in run-in period, following Team-BHP advice, I try not to go beyond 2500rpm on any gear.

I have to check if I can get hold of another dzire to check this out. My friend has a Swift VXI and he too said that there should not be any vibrations. I will call up MASS again.

_Vishal


Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
absolutely right;it could be that you are shifting into fourth at a low speed and that could be resulting in engine vibrations and consequently some GB vibration.
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 12:53   #11
BHPian
 
athalaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 112
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

This should definately not be happening then, get it checked ASAP
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 13:31   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I just talked to MASS executive. He was starting the same story, but I insisted and several of friends confirmed that there was no such problem with their petrol Swift/Dzire. He then said that he would check other dzire's as well and get back.

In any case, I am most likely going to take my car to MASS this weekend (its far from home) and talk to mechanic directly.

_Vishal
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 13:47   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Let me know on the progress of your case. My colleagues Ritz also passes on heavy vibrations only in 3rd gear at whatever speed he drives. Other gears there are no issues.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 16:24   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Sure Vineeth. I will keep this thread posted.

But what does MASS say about the RITZ 3rd gear vibrations ?. Any explanations given ?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Let me know on the progress of your case. My colleagues Ritz also passes on heavy vibrations only in 3rd gear at whatever speed he drives. Other gears there are no issues.
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 15:09   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 213
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Swift Dzire (Vxi) - 4th gear vibrations

Did any one get to the root cause of the issue, I am seeing similar vibration on my Swift Zxi done 25000 kms. The lever vibrates in 4th gear.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi dZired Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 14th July 2014 11:39
Got my Dzire Sovereign Blue VXI on 4th June 2008 sharma_sanjeevi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 5th February 2011 20:48
Swift Dzire Petrol Vs. Swift Dzire Diesel reveal_da_zeal The Indian Car Scene 2 4th April 2008 21:52
Swift DZire HU to Swift VXI.... yayaati In-Car Entertainment 9 28th March 2008 23:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks