Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th June 2005, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Question engin oil for swift

hi,

maruti is suggesting 20w50 oil for swift. i guess 20w50 oils are for old engins. is this esteem engin really that old. i belive all these mpfi etc etc engins requir thinner oil.

what oil can i safly put in my swift.

i like mobil 1 can. so i want to put that. is it safe?
rahulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 15:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Do not change your engine oil now. Use the same (what Maruti suggest) for 5-6k km. Change to Mobil1 or such full synthetic type after that. Your engine needs to set in (read free) before you put any synthetic oil. Also your warrenty may affect because of using synthetic oil.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 15:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem engine G13B is atleast 15 years old now. It had been through various re-whatevers, but in essence, the block is the same thing.

Stick to the mineral oils that Maruti recommends for the first 10,000 km. After that, you could try and change to synthetic. NEVER mix mineral and synthetic oils.

Put up some pics of your Swift!!!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 16:03   #4
BHPian

Default picture

taking care of black is tough in bangalore
Old 30th June 2005, 18:58   #5
BHPian

Cool... Put on some tints... i have llumar steel 50. Goes really well with black.
Even the 14 inchers looks small on this car.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 19:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv
hi,

maruti is suggesting 20w50 oil for swift. i guess 20w50 oils are for old engins. is this esteem engin really that old.
:
who has told you that 20w50 is for old engines.
stick to whatever maruti gives you for atleast 5-6 k kms.
to be safe,wait till your second service at 10k kms.
you can go for a fully synthetic engine oil after that.

Quote:
i belive all these mpfi etc etc engins requir thinner oil.
maruti uses same engine oil in its mpfi and carb cars.
your belief is wierd.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya

maruti uses same engine oil in its mpfi and carb cars.
your belief is wierd.

its not. if the machining quality is up to present norms, you will not need a 20w50 oil. my belief is not wierd
Old 4th July 2005, 11:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

see this diagram may help you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/entrypoint.html?menu.html&engineoil_bible.html

The API/ACEA ratings only refer to an oil's quality. For grade, you need to look at the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings. These describe the oil's function and viscosity standard. Viscosity means the substance and clinging properties of the lubricant. When cold, oil can become like treacle so it is important that any lube is kept as thin as possible. It's cold performance is denoted by the letter 'W', meaning 'winter'. At the other end of the scale, a scorching hot oil can be as thin as water and about as useful too. So it needs to be as thick as possible when warm. Thin when cold but thick when warm? That's where MultiGrade oil comes in. For ages, good old 20W/50 was the oil to have. But as engines progressed and tolerances decreased, a lighter, thinner oil was required, especially when cold. Thus 15W/50, 15W/40 and even 15W/30 oils are now commonplace. Synthetics can go down as far as 5W which seemed unbeatable until Castrol came up with SLX - a 0W30 formulation! 'Free flowing' just doesn't describe it! It's predominantly a workshop oil retailing at around 10 ($15) a litre, but recommended for use in places like Canada in the winter. The latest offering to this 0W30 engineering miracle comes from AMSOIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv
i belive all these mpfi etc etc engins requir thinner oil.
so as long as the engine parts are the same ,u need not use separate oil just becasue its mpfi or a carb.

yeah ,using fully synthetic oil does help.but it would be better if you stick to whatever maruti gives till atleast 10k kms.

Last edited by speedsatya : 4th July 2005 at 11:41.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote