Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th August 2009, 21:47   #1
BHPian

Default Optra need help - Poor Pickup & Noise

Hi Folks
I have two problems with my Optra 1.6 Elite:
1. Poor Pickup in 1st and 2nd gear. If i rev in lower gears (about 2000 the noise is very high.
2. High level of noise in the cabin

I do not know how to approach this. So i was thinking if you could help me on this. You see i plan to put a high end ICE system soon (just waiting for the money pool to build up). But now when i drive at 60kmph or above the noise is so loud in the car that i have turn up the volume to hear music. I dont want that.

Took the car to the service center and their answer to the problems were:
1. Sorry thats how the Optra is, very poor pickup in low gears.
2. Part of the problem is due to Power Steering pump but the rest of the noise is standard. Nothing can be done about that.

So guys what do you say. My research on this forum has led to conflicting results:
1. To increase pickup/power replace Air Filter with K&N or Green Cotton and add a FFE. But both of these contribute to an increase in noise.
2. Replace tyres with Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 to have maximum reduction in road noise caused by Tyres.
3. Couldnt find any recommendation to reduce engine noise.

Some questions:
1. Is it possible to increase pickup without increase noise
2. How do i reduce engine noise
3. Do the wheel rims contribute towards noise. meaning would putting alloy wheels reduce noise as compared to stock rims.
So folks what do you recommend i do.

Thanks in advance
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 22:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Never heard of a stock Optra which is so noisy that you need to turn up the volume, the response of the service centre is really pathetic.

I have owned an Optra for about 3.5 years now and done some 55k kms on it, I've never found lower gears sluggish (Can't call it racy, but sluggish, definitely no.)

How many kilometres has the car run?
What kind of noise do you get?
How good are your tyres? (is it tyre noise or is it something else?)
Putting alloys IMHO has nothing to do with in cabin noise reduction.

I suggest you get it checked at another dealer and get a second opinion.

Regards,
Hari.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 23:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Put stock replacement filter from K&N or Green's should give you slightly better performance, though they might require some specialized cleaning. Apart from that, tune the car well and you shouldnt have much trouble. Yes 1.6 lit is lil less powerful but it aint a slouch.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 23:19   #4
BHPian

--> 35000 Km

--> At low gears typical reving sound when rpm is around 2-2.5k, something i used to associate with Diesel vehicles. At high speeds above 60kmph a kind of pulsating roaring sound.

How good are your tyres? (is it tyre noise or is it something else?).
--> Treads are showing signs of wear but not that much. They are the original tyres got with the car (2006).

The sound I feel has worsened since the 30000 Servicing when they changed some belt, but then i could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Never heard of a stock Optra which is so noisy that you need to turn up the volume, the response of the service centre is really pathetic.

I have owned an Optra for about 3.5 years now and done some 55k kms on it, I've never found lower gears sluggish (Can't call it racy, but sluggish, definitely no.)

How good are your tyres? (is it tyre noise or is it something else?)
Putting alloys IMHO has nothing to do with in cabin noise reduction.

I suggest you get it checked at another dealer and get a second opinion.

Regards,
Hari.
Old 15th August 2009, 23:24   #5
BHPian

Wont this increase the noise level ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Put stock replacement filter from K&N or Green's should give you slightly better performance, though they might require some specialized cleaning. Apart from that, tune the car well and you shouldnt have much trouble. Yes 1.6 lit is lil less powerful but it aint a slouch.
Old 15th August 2009, 23:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you end up changing the tyres, the Michelin XM1+ are quiter than the ER 60s...
(I own both)
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 23:49   #7
BHPian

^ Thanks will keep that in mind
Old 17th August 2009, 12:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Hi Folks
1. Poor Pickup in 1st and 2nd gear. If i rev in lower gears (about 2000 the noise is very high.

I do not know how to approach this. So i was thinking if you could help me on this. You see i plan to put a high end ICE system soon (just waiting for the money pool to build up). But now when i drive at 60kmph or above the noise is so loud in the car that i have turn up the volume to hear music. I dont want that.

Took the car to the service center and their answer to the problems were:
1. Sorry thats how the Optra is, very poor pickup in low gears.
2. Part of the problem is due to Power Steering pump but the rest of the noise is standard. Nothing can be done about that.

So guys what do you say. My research on this forum has led to conflicting results:
1. To increase pickup/power replace Air Filter with K&N or Green Cotton and add a FFE. But both of these contribute to an increase in noise.
2. Replace tyres with Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 to have maximum reduction in road noise caused by Tyres.
3. Couldnt find any recommendation to reduce engine noise.

Some questions:
1. Is it possible to increase pickup without increase noise
3. Do the wheel rims contribute towards noise. meaning would putting alloy wheels reduce noise as compared to stock rims.
So folks what do you recommend i do.

Thanks in advance
hi ,
i had a 2005 optra 1.6.
> the pick up was a bit of a problem in the lower gears. but the noise level was never a problem.
>if you are using the stock tyres goodyear NCT5, then you should change them to michellin asap as those tyres make a lot of noise. (trust me the road noise level will come down by atleast 80%)
> i had put in a k&n filter(stock replacement) gives you a marginal difference. nothing in the sound. but i would not recommend, instead put in a new OEM air filter.
> at 35000kms do get a de-carbonisation job done, replace your spark plugs with ngk (oem stock) also get a good tune up job done with a good service station but not GM A.S.S. and put in good quality engine oil such as castrol magnatec or may be a synthetic oil(depends on your budget) i had put 5w-50 mobil1 the performance was superb trust me i could go upto 195-200kms on expressway and with the car being stable at that hight speed.
>also get your fuel filter changed and your accesory belt(V-belt changed)
>also the stock optra rims are very much prone to bends i would recommend you get them straighten, if bent at a good tyrewala .
>and lastly check if all your noise damping liners are in place as optra uses a superb noise damping technology. may be it is missing somewhere.
and optra is a very good car to drive and very tough too. tkc cheers

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 17th August 2009 at 12:44.
mdesai_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks
Service Center people are right uptill some extent, Optra do suffer with poor pickup but not that much.
Untill and unless Revvs are more then 4-4.5 K, No revvs audible inside cabin.

Some questions:
1. Is it possible to increase pickup without increase noise.
Clean Air-filter, spark plugs, throttle body regulary. De-carbonize engine if ain't done till now. These things should add to helping in increasing pickup. If you are still unsatisfied from the same how about a ECU remap.

Start using Synthetic Oils, it will make engine revs smoothly

No, it certainly is myth.
Answers added in bold
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 13:51   #10
BHPian

thanks folks.
1. Spark plugs were changed at 25000 KM from the Auth Service Centre
2. Belt was changed at 30000KM from the Auth Service Centre
3. How many litres does the Optra require for a full change of fuel
4. Mihir know any reliable Service station in Mumbai, preferably close to Mulund. ?

Now planning to get the following done:
1. Change oil for Synthetic
2. Change tyres to Michellin Primacy LC
3. Replace air filter with Stock ones
4. Replace PS pump

Except for point 4 I will need to get the rest done from some other place, but still looking for a reliable Service Station.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. How many litres does the Optra require for a full change of fuel
3.5 ltr Engine Oil, Do change oil after a Engine Flush only.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 15:02   #12
BHPian

Point to Ponder for
A. Poor Pickup:
1. Since Spark Plugs were recently changed, Replace engine oil & all filters (Air, Petrol/Diesel, Oil)
2. Check Health of the clutch of your car. (Has your mileage also dropped? If yes one sign of worn out clutch)
B. Road Noise in Cabin
1. Ask your service centre to replace all the tyres of your car with some other car. If the Road noise drops, tyres are the culprit. If not wheel bearings can be causing the noise.
2. If the car is more than 4-5 yrs old and has always been exposed to natural elements (Lack of covered parking), replace door beads (Note: do this only after Pt 1 above)
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 16:09   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the tips Malgudi:
1. Oil and filter changed just recently 2 weeks back. But i guess i need to try synthetic.
2. No drop in Mileage still gives me about 11-12Kmpl
3. Car is only 3 years old.
4. I dont think my authorized service centre will do it i.e. switch my car tyres with somebody else, even if he does it will be with the same Optra stock tyres so that might not help.
Old 17th August 2009, 23:14   #14
BHPian

check engine foundations, also check beading around the doors. Optra has a very low noise level inside the cabin, except for tyre noise no noise from engine, suspension or body is audible inside the cabin.
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Malgudi:
1. Oil and filter changed just recently 2 weeks back. But i guess i need to try synthetic.
2. No drop in Mileage still gives me about 11-12Kmpl
3. Car is only 3 years old.
4. I dont think my authorized service centre will do it i.e. switch my car tyres with somebody else, even if he does it will be with the same Optra stock tyres so that might not help.
i think you should change the tyres to michellin
and as ASK77 says check your door beading and all.
i know a good mechanic but he is in borivali so if u can come here he can get it done in front of you it will all take maximum 1 day for all the stuff(he is open on sundays too).
i was a little too caring for my optra so he exactly knows about this 1.6 vgis engine car. if u want his contact u can pm me. and he has castrol dealership so he has castrol edge 5w-40 engine oil just incase u want it also he has all the necessary engine flush and all. tkc
mdesai_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote