Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th August 2009, 22:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I am happy with these brake discs.
Doc, pardon my (and Suman's) insistence, but there's absolutely NO justification for having scored discs like you showed in your pics, in a 2-3 day-old car. With marks like those, the life of your pads will drastically reduce, plus, your braking efficiency will be less than optimal.

Show them the discs. Most likely, your car has run for quite some distance with a little stone chip stuck between the pad and the disc while it was with the dealer.

So go for a change while your car is still brand new. A week later, the dealer won't agree to change, citing normal wear and tear.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 23:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

But does the disc look that bad???
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

sir, i just looked at high res photos of the disc once again, and I assure you, its just superficial. 150 km is a negligible distance to make the reduce the efficiency and potency of the discs. besides the brakes are strong, and absolutely normal. just like the test car i drove, and the other fiesta in my building. No qualms about that. it's worth enough to give the entire issue a rest now. it's fine, and the car is sorted.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

More questions

2 things:
1. Slight dead spot in 2nd gear (as spoken about by many here)
2. Rattles (squeak in driver's seat. One small rattle in the dashboard, and a slight thud on hitting the bumps. Nothing from the suspension.) Will be ironed out in the 1st service.

Question: S owners, not ZXi owners will be better candidates to answer. Mumbai is full of potholes and uneven roads. Is the steering supposed to stay stable, or jiggle (to left and right) when driving over undulated surfaces?
Also, while braking, does one have to hold on to the steering wheel tightly? It still is slipping from my hand, but not much. Methinks I am still not used to the hard suspension and slightly more responsive steering. Troubling me a lot in the head. I am sure it's not a defect in the car. Just a state of mind. Someone please confirm my findings, so I can be a little more secure and enjoy her the way I should.

Last edited by frankmehta : 28th August 2009 at 11:23.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the steering supposed to stay stable, or jiggle (to left and right) when driving over undulated surfaces?
Also, while braking, does one have to hold on to the steering wheel tightly? It still is slipping from my hand, but not much. Methinks I am still not used to the hard suspension and slightly more responsive steering. Troubling me a lot in the head.
I am not Fiesta owner, but drive Baleno more now a days.
About the jiggle, it happens in Baleno too. But I do correct it if necessary.
Next, about braking, I have not seen any drama if I brake hard with lightly holding the steering wheel. Its not slipping out of my hand. But holding the steering wheel tightly prevents any movement that is not necessary.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Frank - one possible reason for the car misbehaving on bad roads could be the tyres. PP2s tend to "tramline" - basically follow the ruts and undulations on the road. It is as if they suddenly pull away on a bad patch of road. I've had this problem, as have others I know. This is generally caused by the tread pattern and tyre width.

It's something you get used to over time. I reflexively grip the steering a little tighter when I hit a bad stretch of tarmac. Don't worry much about this.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More questions

Question: S owners, not ZXi owners will be better candidates to answer. Mumbai is full of potholes and uneven roads. Is the steering supposed to stay stable, or jiggle (to left and right) when driving over undulated surfaces?
Also, while braking, does one have to hold on to the steering wheel tightly? It still is slipping from my hand, but not much. Methinks I am still not used to the hard suspension and slightly more responsive steering. Troubling me a lot in the head. I am sure it's not a defect in the car. Just a state of mind. Someone please confirm my findings, so I can be a little more secure and enjoy her the way I should.
Hydraulic power steering? It will jiggle. It's called feedback and I love it. I like the car talking back to me about what the wheels are doing and feeling.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 18:16   #23
BHPian

Frank even in my car(1.6sxi) the car jiggles when going over bad roads and my tyres are stock so nothing to worry about.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 19:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More questions

2 things:
1. Slight dead spot in 2nd gear (as spoken about by many here)
2. Rattles (squeak in driver's seat. One small rattle in the dashboard, and a slight thud on hitting the bumps. Nothing from the suspension.) Will be ironed out in the 1st service.

Dude, thats absolutely normal! I made some visits to the A.S.S to make sure everything was ok, before I got used to the hard suspension!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not Fiesta owner, but drive Baleno more now a days.
About the jiggle, it happens in Baleno too. But I do correct it if necessary.
Next, about braking, I have not seen any drama if I brake hard with lightly holding the steering wheel. Its not slipping out of my hand. But holding the steering wheel tightly prevents any movement that is not necessary.
Esteem didn't have this trait. Maybe translates to the fact that the Esteem had pretty much, a lifeless steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Frank - one possible reason for the car misbehaving on bad roads could be the tyres. PP2s tend to "tramline" - basically follow the ruts and undulations on the road. It is as if they suddenly pull away on a bad patch of road. I've had this problem, as have others I know. This is generally caused by the tread pattern and tyre width.

It's something you get used to over time. I reflexively grip the steering a little tighter when I hit a bad stretch of tarmac. Don't worry much about this.
Oh man, you have hit the nail on the head. I am most certain it has happened after replacing the tyres. But since it's normal, i am happy. Since the car drives SUPER on those tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Hydraulic power steering? It will jiggle. It's called feedback and I love it. I like the car talking back to me about what the wheels are doing and feeling.
Yes, I will enjoy it too now. WIthout worrying that the car has suspension geometry issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Frank even in my car(1.6sxi) the car jiggles when going over bad roads and my tyres are stock so nothing to worry about.
SXi too? Yes, I haven't driven the SXi over larger distances, so I wouldn't be having an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Dude, thats absolutely normal! I made some visits to the A.S.S to make sure everything was ok, before I got used to the hard suspension!
Good you told me. Sathee confirmed it too today. Happy to hear this from fellow S owners.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:05   #26
BHPian

Default Tata Nano Rust on the under part of the engine

Hi, My Tata Nano is just 4 months old. But, I don't know how long they kept the car in rain and bad weather. Today, I was shocked to see this big patch of rust on the hanging part of the engine. My question is that, they said engine is made of aluminium. Then how can the rust be formed? Also, is there any way to remove rust and prevent them from spreading?
Bottom Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
Today, I was shocked to see this big patch of rust on the hanging part of the engine.
Please post some pics to explain the issue. Can't make out what you're talking about.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:46   #28
BHPian

Hi, I am attaching a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta S - New Car rust and niggling issues: Need advice-tata-nano-engine-rust.jpg  

Bottom Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 23:16   #29
BHPian

I am no expert, but, as far as I know, cast iron is bound to turn like this. This is nothing to worry. Just get it sanded and painted again if you want.
But, just to be on the safe side and not losing something due to a NOOB's (my) advice, get this checked by a service center and then report back with what they say, so that this NOOB inches closer to become an experienced BHPian. I know I sound stupid
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote