Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st August 2009, 03:58   #1
Default Need help for my old zen carburetor

Hi all,

Am new to team BHP but i know about this very well. I have a maruti zen(model : 1995).I have a problem with its carburetor. Out of the 2 needle nozles that spray fuel into the carburetor venturi when starting the car, one is blocked and it is not starting. I had a cold start problem and spent 4000 rupees in mytvs-chennai(East Tambaram) and it went worst and finally after spending 1500 rupees in maruti abt(chennai-guindy), one nozle is fine.the other is blocked.not cold start problem is almost fixed but engine will crank atleast 4 to 5 times to start. I want out team BHP gurus' advice in how to go about cleaning the other nozle that is completely blocked.Is there any cleaner liquid i can use or is there any other way to clean it or is the only option is replace the carburetor assembly? please help..Thanks in advance...
satish_tns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 17:22   #2

Can't help you, but can empathize. I have a 2001 model Zen, and it's had a cold start problem for as long as we've owned it. It cranks fine, but I often have to run it with the choke for a few minutes at starting, or it'll stall when idling.

Various MASS and local mechanics have had gos at the carburetor over the years, but to no avail. We've decided it's not worth attempting to fix it given the age of the car. If you manage to get your problem sorted out, do let me know!
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just find a mechanic in your area who is an expert on Carburetter, He will dismantle it completely and clean each things.

Dunno down south but mumbai has one Mr. Panchal who is an expert in carbs.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 22:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

buy a second hand esteem carb and clean it before you fix it.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 23:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well you could either change the needle valve or you could get the carb opened and get it washed thoroughly with petrol and then fit it back it may open up or you just might have to change the valve.Second hand carb is not a good option it will save your money for the time being but lkater you would have problems with it.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote