Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th September 2009, 20:12   #46
BHPian

Default my i20 had it as well

I have seen the panel gaps in my i20 as well sometimes but after delivery. But soemehow it dissappeared all together and it is fine now.

I enquired with the Hyundai guys when I went for service and they say that the hood rubber running along it gets heated up with sunlight and expands so it gets raised but comes back to normal once it is cooled.

He said it would not happen in normal driving temperature but when the vehicles are stocked in the yard under the sun continuously you might see some.

When I asked him that it was not a good thing, he said that there is an additional rubber coating other then the normal to keep the NVH levels very very low hence the problem. But they dont think it should be an issue.

Dont know how much it is true!
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 21:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

I've TD'd an i20 CRDI last week and found a similar gap on the dash near the ICE, but another car beside it did not have it. I don't think you need to be worried on that count---just my opinion though.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 21:36   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
I totally agree with AbhiJ. This has been repainted and the remnants of the paint can be seen.
That's exactly my problem. With the bumper, it's not uneven panel gaps. It's the paint dried in the gap, a clear sign of repaint or overcoat.

It's with the interior dash panel that the problem of uneven panel gap due to improper fitting / tampering comes up. I suppose the thread title isn't 100% clear.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 23:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
he said that there is an additional rubber coating other then the normal to keep the NVH levels very very low hence the problem.
Wow this sounds interesting to me I would love to see it.
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 23:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I enquired with the Hyundai guys when I went for service and they say that the hood rubber running along it gets heated up with sunlight and expands so it gets raised but comes back to normal once it is cooled.

Please elaborate what hood rubber they are talking about?? The gaskets?
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 23:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Please elaborate what hood rubber they are talking about?? The gaskets?
i'm not sure what they meant by it and I had a great language barrier with him as he spoke a lot of Tamil. Will check with someone else again this time.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 00:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hey akshay really sad to hear about all this,i20 itself is a fatastic car i would suggest you back off from shreenath and get the car from another dealer,but yess the surprise gift for your bro's birthday is spilled thanks to them,the lady there is real rude i have dealth with her when i warned about cancelling my Getz deilevery then and there if they tried giving me a getz with beige interiors All the best..!!!
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 00:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i'm not sure what they meant by it and I had a great language barrier with him as he spoke a lot of Tamil. Will check with someone else again this time.
Do that...

Because the any rubber gasket/insulation will expand only 2-3% of its thickness due to heat. That is usually in fractions of a mm.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 00:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi Flyingspur,

Sorry to read about your travails with another incompetent dealer.

1. Collect your money ASAP.
2. Write to them (after you have money safely in your bank) - why you should not be compensated for deficiency in service as defined in the Consumer Protection Act.
3. Write to Hyundai
4. Go to another dealer
5. Get an immaculate car

If you have noted the names of the sales persons and the senior person who spoke rudely to you - mention them by name in all correspondence. The pictures are very clear - the car was defective and the dealer was trying to pass it off to you.

As a consumer you have a right to reject any product which you suspect is sub-standard or repaired. Having taken money for booking a car, the dealer is bound to deliver a perfect car to you.

My take on this - if that guy is rude to me, why should I make him rich via. the commission he gets on my car? I would definitely take my business elsewhere.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 10:19   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, thought I should update this thread. Thank you all for your support and opinions, I have finally (managed to) collect my refund from the dealership yesterday. Never mind what I might have lost on interest etc. Really don't have time to think of nitty gritties like that. Got the full refund without any cancellation charges. Collection itself wasn't a very smooth process either, with some resistence and lack of communication between cashier and accounts department. Anyway, expecting my car from another dealership next week.

Once again, thanks for your support, Team-BHP.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

I do not know if congratulations are really in order but, I am glad you have achieved some resolution never mind the loss of interest, time and the pain of dealing with idiots who happen to be crooked.

Wish you all the best with your new car.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:09   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I do not know if congratulations are really in order but, I am glad you have achieved some resolution never mind the loss of interest, time and the pain of dealing with idiots who happen to be crooked.

Wish you all the best with your new car.

Cheers,
As long as I got my money back, I really don't have the time or the effort to invest in sorting out such issues. The i is coming home next week through another dealer. I wasn't without a car in the interim. That's all that matters.

Old 6th December 2009, 22:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hey flyingspur

Today I did the PRI of my i20 and clicked a pic of the centre console!!

It looks like there's a lil' gap on the left side!?(or is it just my imagination)

What're your views regarding this?

EDIT - I couldn't wait till the car was cleaned! :P(dirt)
Attached Thumbnails
Uneven panel gaps on Hyundai i20. Should I take delivery?-abcd0017.jpg  

Last edited by sohail99 : 6th December 2009 at 22:37.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote