Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 17:36   #31
BHPian
 
Berry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 129
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy

If your drive is a 530d, get the space saver and the jack set from your BMW dealer. 5er has a space saver available through the parts counter at the dealerships.
Thanks mate ! Just spoke to the sales guy who assisted me, they call it "the donut tire ".
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 18:14   #32
BHPian
 
Berry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 129
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Just spoke to the sales guy at the dealership, the donut tire is a full sized tire costing about Rs. 18,000 for the tire only and the MRP for the original alloy rim. I will not go for this tire but will certainly go for the space saver available online for the F10.
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 19:51   #33
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 774
Thanked: 672 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Run Flats could go Flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This is the final condition of tire - what started with a small cut on wall
That's the sadomasochistic pleasure of owning a car with a 'run flat'. These tyre's aren't made for India. What ever be the long legs of your car, you need guts to take it on the highway, could completely ruin your planned long drive. My stock MRF has flattened just twice in it's 6 year life and have spent less than Rs. 500 in repairing these goes to stay that if would be better to stick with tubeless tyres.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 29th January 2012 at 20:14.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 20:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,203
Thanked: 2,956 Times
Default Re: Run Flats could go Flat

Quote:
I found out that the two front tires had BURSTand the third rear tire had a huge bulge ready to burst any time.
Berry

You must have hit some deep pothole , I recollect having damaged 2 tires of my X6 on Rampur - Kashipur stretch , there were large craters on the road at that time . Maybe the regular Tires could have taken the hit but really can't blame Goodyear for this . RFTs are supposed to have stronger sidewall which is prone to damage in such cases .

Quote:
I am driving to my hotel (which was 55kms far from that spot)
So did you drove this distance with both front tires in this condition ?

Quote:
Your pick up truck reached my hotel at 2230 hrs
If you consider the fact that you were about 5-6 hours away from Delhi & arranging pickup crane on Holiday , your Dealer has done fairly good job .

Quote:
These tyre's aren't made for India.
I will differ , RFTs have pros & cons , think if Berry had got both front tires damaged running regular tires , would it have been possible for him to drive 50 Kms ? Though chances of getting 2 flat tires at one go are very less but this is possible .

Its time that BMW India starts giving space savers at least .

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th January 2012 at 20:27.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 20:46   #35
BHPian
 
Berry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 129
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator


You must have hit some deep pothole , I recollect having damaged 2 tires of my X6 on Rampur - Kashipur stretch , there were large craters on the road at that time . Maybe the regular Tires could have taken the hit but really can't blame Goodyear for this . RFTs are supposed to have stronger sidewall which is prone to damage in such cases .
- i was driving at a mere 40 kmph and can still recall the pothole that probably has caused the crack but trust me it wasn't a severe bump, I got to know about it only when the alignment went out and I pulled over.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator
So did you drove this distance with both front tires in this condition ?
- yes I drove with left front completely flat and the right front partially flat. But the the job that RFTs did was commendable as I could reach the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator
If you consider the fact that you were about 5-6 hours away from Delhi & arranging pickup crane on Holiday , your Dealer has done fairly good job .
- Considering the fact that I had made the first call for the pick up at noon and the trucker told me that he started from Delhi at 5 pm. Isn't that irritating. Dealer has got nothing to do with this actually as the truck is owned by Allianz guys and the call center is operated by Mondial services (I may have heard the name wrongly over the phone but it sounded like this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator
I will differ , RFTs have pros & cons , think if Berry had got both front tires damaged running regular tires , would it have been possible for him to drive 50 Kms ? Though chances of getting 2 flat tires at one go are very less but this is possible .
- Correct ! I appreciate that these tires could withstand so much abuse of 55 kms of the Thakurdwara to Corbett road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator
Its time that BMW India starts giving space savers at least .
- Yes , but there should be space made for the spare tire in the boot as other cars have.
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 18:46   #36
BHPian
 
dr_anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 103
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Run Flats could go Flat

Tubeless tires are a better option on Indian roads IMO. I would also advise all to carry a good quality 12 volt air compressor in the trunk. If the puncture on the tubeless is not too big, a refill of air lasts a lot many miles. You could refill again if you are not inclined to change tires.
dr_anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 16:50   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Run Flats could go Flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Considering the fact that I had made the first call for the pick up at noon and the trucker told me that he started from Delhi at 5 pm. Isn't that irritating. Dealer has got nothing to do with this actually as the truck is owned by Allianz guys and the call center is operated by Mondial services (I may have heard the name wrongly over the phone but it sounded like this).
Did someone respond to your mail at all?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dilemma - BMW X5 - No spare wheel & Run-flats ackyash Luxury, Imports & Niche 25 24th July 2012 01:56
Run-Flat tyre dealers in Mumbai? Sahil Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 25 13th July 2010 15:15
BMW X5 - 255/55/18 - From Run Flats to Conventional x5india Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 24th October 2009 01:17
Need advice on selling bmw x5 run flat tires (then getting new ones) x5india Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 13 6th June 2008 21:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks