Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th August 2009, 18:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Interesting post. Mileage freaks can try clogging their air filters for improved FE
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 19:45   #17

I still remember a top brand of air filters advertising the rise in fuel economy.
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
@gpa - every month! Good for you. I make sure I do it every three months, and am more fussy about the turbo diesel engine, where the filter processes huge amounts of air. But its free, so monthly is fine if you are able to do it. A suggestion - clean it by blowing air from inside out, against the direction in which air passes through it. That will dislodge more dust particles, than the other way, which will embed some of them into the filter material. What works well is taking it to the closest tyre shop and running the compressed air jet against the air flow direction of the filter.

I at times tend to venture into some really dusty zones. With the METRO rail being constructed and BLR's low humidity levels, the air is filled with dust (a nightmare for those with asthma). Hence I remove the filter and clean it every month and use the same inside-out process that you mentioned.

Last edited by gpa : 28th August 2009 at 11:06.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 02:30   #19

Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Why don't guys change it for a newer one every service ? Hardly costs anything.
My Alto Lxi has clocked 10000 km - I bought stock air filter from Maruti Genuine showroom (Popular Automobiles) for MRP 175 Rupees and fitted it myself today. Have a look at the attached photo, the color difference between the 10000 km old air filter and the new one is evident. (The old air filter was vaccum dusted at the service center for 3rd service last week, but still it looked some what clogged, hence I bought the new one.)Yet to try out K&N air filter, I plan to try after I reach the 20000 km mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Effect of Air Filter condition on Vehicle fuel economy.-airfilterclogged.jpg  

jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 22:45   #20
Default Re: Effect of Air Filter condition on Vehicle fuel economy.

Hit the nail on its head.

Does one need to be more fussy about cleaning air filters on a turbo-charged diesel? I just cleaned mine now after getting myself a T25 (Ford Figo Tdci 2010) and will see how it responds tomorrow on my long(ish) drive.

Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Yup it can be true.

If you're used to a cruising speed of say 100kmph, with a clogged air filter, the engine will consume less fuel for a given throttle position (since less air is entering through the filter).

But in order to maintain 100kmph with a clogged filter, you will need to use a bit more throttle than you would with a good filter. So finally, you end up spending the same amount of fuel from point A to point B.

But on the downside, the engine will feel un-responsive and rate of acc will also be slower.

enkash is offline   Reply With Quote