Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2009, 14:21   #31
Team-BHP Support

Won't get the car back today. Pressing for a replacement car for my drive back !
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

DUDE, before u even run the car and unevenly wear off the clutch plates because of the uneven flywheel, replace the flywheel ! Some kilometers driven and the clutch plate will wear off unevenly and u ll have to replace the entire set again.

Read my thread on my ordeal because they did not replace the entire set together, which ulimately they had to.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:55   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thanks humyum. I have refused to take delivery of the car and told them to have a look at the flywheel.

Any idea of the approximate cost and warranty status ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:18   #34
Team-BHP Support

Update: They are changing the flywheel and checking now !
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:36   #35
Team-BHP Support

Update:

Got the car back. I am still not 100% convinced. Can detect a slight judder. Or maybe its my imagination at work ? Will drive tomorrow and check.

But otherwise: they have changed the flywheel & the clutch. No reason there should be a vibration na ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

There shouldn't be any vibration unless one of your mounts is gone. But I doubt that should have happened, drive it for a couple of days and see how it goes.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:46   #37
Team-BHP Support

In the worst case scenario, how serious is that ? complexity and money wise ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Not too much, it ain't a major thing and its not unheard of on diesels due to higher weight & vibrations from the engine. But, it shouldn't happen so soon on your car.

Cost should 1.5-2k per mounting I think (wild guess).
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:52   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... more than the money my concern is that every time a car goes to MASS for repair, they fix up one thing and may spoil two others, especially if its a complex task.

Where exactly is the mount and how is it replaced ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

After the clutch set change including the flywheel, even i had a mild judder at the start which vanished after running it for 2 to 3 thousand km and after totally running the clutch for 4 nd half thousand km it again comes back a little sometimes, I would not worry much about it as most of the swift diesels face this.

I understand when u said earlier that on the old clutch u never had the judder, even i never did but since everything involved in the clutch is replaced, so i guess u should just run it for sometime and see.

Mountings yes with all that torque can be shot, they changed my rear engine mounting at 15 thousand km under warranty since the service advisor doubted that it has gone weak which i found surprising since it is a rubber part and should not come under warranty.

I doubt at 50 thousand km even if its shot, yours will be changed under warranty because of the high running. Never the less the entire set of mounts should set you back by 2 to 3 k, not sure though.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 23:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
In the worst case scenario, how serious is that ? complexity and money wise ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Not too much, it ain't a major thing and its not unheard of on diesels due to higher weight & vibrations from the engine.
Cost should 1.5-2k per mounting I think (wild guess).
Check out this link for engine mounting replacement done on my Viva CRDi.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1172726-post21.html. The price included parts + labour at a non-Hyundai garage, but with genuine Hyundai spares. Swift mounting replacement should be the same or cheaper.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 12:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

Its not engine mounts am quite certain, just drive around and once the car and driver gets used to the new clutch feel, things will be fine. This is a pain in DDIS!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 23:18   #43
Team-BHP Support

Have driven the car around for 200-300 kms now and the car is still shuddering. This did not happen earlier and I plan to get it rectified.

Have lodged a complaint with Maruti helpline. Plan to write to them tonight / tmrw. Any pointers on email IDs that I can write to ?
Old 10th September 2009, 02:00   #44
SLK
Senior - BHPian

My experience with replaced clutches from MASS has been that, they judder.

I think, the replacement clutch quality is bad, or they somehow manage to fit a similar sized but wrong model clutch. [would swift petrol fit?]

I have this on my Alto Vxi since the clutch has been replaced.

Also, i got my WagonR's clutch replaced as a preventive measure and found out that the original 80k used clutch was smoother than the new one. Have driven 7-8k on the new clutch, it's still bad when cold.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 09:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
My experience with replaced clutches from MASS has been that, they judder.
MASS are not alone in this, I have similar experiences with Toyota and Ford ***. The bottom line is, once the Transmission assembly is opened it is always difficult to assemble everything back to the OEM precision. There are two reasons for this - Lack of training/experience and overcrowded service bays.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote