Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2009, 10:21   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Fiat Uno: Brake Problem

Hi All,

Recently I started having problems with the brakes of my Uno. The brake pedal has gone soft and the brakes, although working, don't have their bite. So sudden stops are out of the question.

The garage cannot diagnose the problem correctly. The things that I have replace/tried:

- Got the brake booster replaced.
- Topped up brake fluid.
- The rear wheel brake shoes with cylinders have been replaced.
- Replaced the rear brake drums but since there was no change, removed the new ones and put the old ones back.

Now, the garage guy is saying that we can try changing the front disks. I am somehow now convinced and am looking for someone who can shed some insight to the problem.

Any suggestions/ideas on what the problem could be would greatly help.
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 12:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Hi All,

Recently I started having problems with the brakes of my Uno. The brake pedal has gone soft and the brakes, although working, don't have their bite. So sudden stops are out of the question.

The garage cannot diagnose the problem correctly. The things that I have replace/tried:

- Topped up brake fluid.
- Replaced the rear brake drums but since there was no change, removed the new ones and put the old ones back.

Now, the garage guy is saying that we can try changing the front disks. I am somehow now convinced and am looking for someone who can shed some insight to the problem.

Loss of bite is normally caused by uneven drums, discs and hard liners & pads. If possible get the drums 'cut' and discs shaved to remove undulations etc. If you cannot find a good place to cut the drums and discs - replace them. Brake liners and pads get hard with time and need to be replaced even if they are not worn to the bone.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 17:43   #3
BHPian

I had this similar problem and was resolved by shaving the discs and cleaning the pads. Also get the pipe leading into the pad. There is a valve there that causes loss of bite if it is bad. I had to change that pipe completely, it is a funny curvy pipe.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 23:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...problems with the brakes of my Uno. The brake pedal has gone soft and the brakes, although working, don't have their bite.
- Topped up brake fluid.
The Uno has a small brake force distribution valve situated in the underbody, forward of the rear left wheel, which is prone to failure. If it fails, the symptoms you describe appear, along with a lot of brake dust accumulating on the front wheels.

Check and replace if necessary.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 23:27   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your replies NutsNBolts and Ravveendrra.

I have already got the pipe (funny curvy one) changed. The front discs are the only parts that I havent gotten replaced. Will try this on Monday and get back. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by prateekswarup : 29th August 2009 at 23:27. Reason: spelling
Old 29th August 2009, 23:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any other suggestions are welcome.
Please check the suggestion above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Uno has a small brake force distribution valve situated in the underbody, forward of the rear left wheel, which is prone to failure. If it fails, the symptoms you describe appear, along with a lot of brake dust accumulating on the front wheels.

Check and replace if necessary.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 03:38   #7
BHPian

@prateekswarup
i had a diesel uno and right from day 1 i had issues with brakes. you wouldnt believe i took the care around 12 times for brake service.
i don't think that your problem and mine are similar anyways just some info which might be helpful.
1.don't go for disc shaving as ravendra says if done wrong you have to change the discs so twice the expense.mine was done by the dealer and results were horrible the disc became uneven, finally the dealer approved to change it free of cost which was around 6k back in 99
2.if the tires lock and still the car doesnt stop check the shock absorbs.
this was the actual prob in my car which i detected at 30k kms after about 3years of usage. until then they tried everything which didnt work.
3.the tubes are one of the important factor if the brakes becomes soft, sometimes the oil clot up in the sensor so it doesnt warn you on oil lose,it happen to my cousin's uno there was a leak in the rear brake the oil has drained but since there was some dried up oil on the sensor it didnt warn him, anyways since you have already replaced the tubes no worries
fuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 15:31   #8
BHPian

@ SS - Traveller

Sorry, had not refreshed the page or something, so was not able to see your post. I shall have that checked in the first place tomorrow. I hope that valve is the culprit.

@ fuhrer
Thanks for the info. I am also getting the disks tomorrow. Will change it as a last resort. Till now, I have feeling that this is more of a fluid distribution problem than the disks. Lets see what happens.

Breakup of cost incurred till now: :(
- Brake booster - Rs. 4900
- Rear Drums (which I returned) - Rs. 3300
- Front disks (Getting tomorrow) - Rs 2500
- Rear brake shoes, cylinder, brake oil and labour charges - Rs. 2200 approx.