Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st August 2009, 12:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default @ greenhorn - no guarantee mate !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
question. How to know if your airbags will deploy?
Well, while starting the car, the airbag sign should light up for a few seconds and then go off, which should indicate that the airbag system is fine. BUT - thats not a guarantee that airbags are gonna deploy. The light only ensures you of the fact that the total airbag system is ok.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

@blackasta
So in that case, the seatbelt light also lights up and goes off when you fasten the seatblet. Does it mean the seat belt is also working fine??

These kinda things are unpredictable. But IMO, seatbelts fail much less than the ABS or the airbags.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
@blackasta
So in that case, the seatbelt light also lights up and goes off when you fasten the seatblet. Does it mean the seat belt is also working fine??

These kinda things are unpredictable. But IMO, seatbelts fail much less than the ABS or the airbags.

I guess the seatbelt sign is a reminder for the driver/passenger to fasten the seatbelt. I do not think it has anything to do with seatbelt/pretensioner functioning properly. On the other hand the airbag indicator light is directly related to checking that the airbag deployment system (accelerometers - ECU - Airbags) is on.
Airbag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Airbags and seatbelts have been around for decades now. Almost every failure condition in these systems have been found and addressed. Stop worrying about these things and enjoy the drive.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 13:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Thank you for replying and giving your inputs.

Most of you guys have suggested to give it a "fast tug" forward and see if it gets stuck. But as already mentioned in the first post, on giving it a tug it does gets stuck

But when i jerk my upper body forward (towards the steering wheel, stimulating an accident like situation) the seat belt does not hold my upper torso back.

Can you guys check that in your car and reply if it happens in your car seat belts too? If it does, then is the seat belt faulty? Or how else can we check? Is hand tugging the only way to check the seat belts?
I was in same dilemma, one month back, out of curiosity I asked the Service Manager and he showed me how it works by applying immediate jerk (same as mentioned by others). He explained, when somebody meets with accident there is sudden braking or sudden impact which gives the sudden force in forward direction, which results in locking (tightening) of seat belt.
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Thank you for replying and giving your inputs.

Most of you guys have suggested to give it a "fast tug" forward and see if it gets stuck. But as already mentioned in the first post, on giving it a tug it does gets stuck

But when i jerk my upper body forward (towards the steering wheel, stimulating an accident like situation) the seat belt does not hold my upper torso back.

Can you guys check that in your car and reply if it happens in your car seat belts too? If it does, then is the seat belt faulty? Or how else can we check? Is hand tugging the only way to check the seat belts?
If you can move your body at the same speed as when you tug the seat belt, then the seat belt will hold you from moving forward. It is practically not possible to move your body at the "Tug" speed. Try it and see.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Read about ELRs, pretensioners and load limiters :

The Hindu Business Line : Seat belts for dummies

Seat belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote