Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st August 2009, 19:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Ambassador Spares

Just the other day I received an email from my friend Mr Richard Monk,who is based in Surrey U.K.. He owns a workshop and is the Spares Secretary of our Morris Cowley, Oxford and Issis Owner's Club, Oxford, UK. Incidentally, Rich owns Morris Oxfords Series II's (Landmaster for us) and Ambassadors that have been imported from India.
He wants to sell one 2004 MPFI Amb ISZ 1800 there. Unfortunately its ignition amplifier was not available to him (he had even called Austin Distributors, Kolkata ,who are HM dealers who said they did not have one).So he requested me to look into the matter here. Firstly, I never knew that there's this thing called ignition amplifier (IA) between the ignition coil and the distributor.And to my horror was told that the car does not start at all if this IA is defective.
I very, very luckily found one such IA ( a moron of a spare) from a local spares dealer. The cost was Rs 2850=00. Before that I went to another spare dealer who said there's a great shortage of the IA in the market and any kind of rates upto Rs 4500=00 are being asked by dealers.That dealer said I have to place an order and that he will charge only Rs 4000=00.
Now comes the mailing part. First went to some private couriers who asked for something between Rs 1000 to Rs 1500.Then I went to the good ol' (but very bureaucratic) Speed Post Centre and they said it will cost me Rs 815=00 after weighing. They got me to fill in two doddering, yellow paged forms in duplicate (called declaration forms). One copy remains with the P.O. and the other goes with the package.Now the parcel is on its westward journey.
Name:  amb_ign.jpg
Views: 2129
Size:  413.9 KB
Name:  amb_ign2.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  414.3 KB
The moron spare which can stall any Amby 1.8 ISZ MPFI (mostly moves politicians and bureaucrats in our country)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st August 2009 at 20:03.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!! that's crazy. but...what is it's function??
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
The best that I could follow was that its facilitates the ignition process. But the fact that the Ambassador is nothing without it, is news!
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, the ignition amplifier is necessary, especially in MPFi engines to facilitate better combustion and better AFR.

Carb engines can do without them!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Amby which needed this IA has a contact breaker system in the distributor, and this little box does away with the sparking/arcing that used to burn out the CB points every once in a while (the condenser inside the distributor which reduced this arcing is also gone now). IA also boosts the spark voltage, and maintains the accuracy of the spark cycle after cycle. Breakerless distributors don't need this gadget IIRC.

But then, wouldn't Mr. Monk have managed to fit any IA to replace the faulty one? Or did he want to maintain originality?

PS: Is this the same Monk who sold his Ferrari? (To buy an Amby???)

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 31st August 2009 at 21:39.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 17:40   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Ambassador Spares

Can anybody please suggest good Ambassador spare parts dealers in Hyderabad/ Secundrabad.I am in need for rubber parts for doors and door glass channels.

Thanks
mituadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 16:03   #7
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Ambassador Grand front bench seat

I need an Ambassador Grand front bench seat assembly. The later model with the 60:40 split, reclining and front-back movement. Does anyone know where I can source one? Thanks!
noelravin is offline   Reply With Quote