Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2009, 13:04   #1
BHPian

Default Getz Power Steering problem

I need one info
Power steering of my Getz was giving some kat kat sound and at full turn (Max you can turn) it gives some sound
Shown to Trident and it is issue with some shaft for power steering. Car comes under extended warranty. As per trident it needs to be changed
My question is power steering shaft comes under extended warranty.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:14   #2
gpa
Senior - BHPian

^^Why don't you read the fine print of the extended warranty booklet. It will be mentioned there under the components that are covered. AFAIK, steering components are covered under the extended warranty scheme. I replaced a steering component on my Esteem in 2003 under the extended warranty of two years that i had then.

Regards,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
^^Why don't you read the fine print of the extended warranty booklet. It will be mentioned there under the components that are covered. AFAIK, steering components are covered under the extended warranty scheme. I replaced a steering component on my Esteem in 2003 under the extended warranty of two years that i had then.

Regards,
gpa
Today I will read it and as per Trident it must be there but they need to check with Hyundai.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:15   #4
BHPian

gpa one more question is all labour cost and other consumable(oil etc) are covered in extended warranty
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:06   #5
BHPian

i think there is a problem with the drive shaft.
honda3938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'd be closely monitoring this thread as my zen too has experiencing some kit kat sound when I take a full right. I got the PS checked. But nothing surfaced. So they did not go for an overhaul at MASS.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:25   #7
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
gpa one more question is all labour cost and other consumable(oil etc) are covered in extended warranty
IIRC, only the defective component is covered under an extended warranty scheme. You will have to pay for labor and consumables that are part of the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I'd be closely monitoring this thread as my zen too has experiencing some kit kat sound when I take a full right. I got the PS checked. But nothing surfaced. So they did not go for an overhaul at MASS.
If you got the PS checked and it is not the problem, then it could be with the drive shaft to the right wheel which is why you hear a soft kat kat kat noise when you take a full right turn. By the by, is your Zen the one with the electronic PS if I'm not mistaken? EPS systems are not prone to fail that easily.

Last edited by gpa : 3rd September 2009 at 10:27.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you got the PS checked and it is not the problem, then it could be with the drive shaft to the right wheel which is why you hear a soft kat kat kat noise when you take a full right turn. By the by, is your Zen the one with the electronic PS if I'm not mistaken? EPS systems are not prone to fail that easily.
Guess what he said the same thing about the EPS. Do I still need to check the drive shaft now ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:02   #9
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Guess what he said the same thing about the EPS. Do I still need to check the drive shaft now ?
He is right. An EPS system is far more robust and less prone to fail when compared to a hydraulic system. Yup, a check of both drive shafts is a good idea.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, a check of both drive shafts is a good idea.
Alrighty then, I know where to go on this weekend. @aka_iitd. Hoped this helped and sorry for hijacking/carjacking your thread.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:50   #11
BHPian

In my car kat kat sound comes as soon as ignition is on and on seeing the engine bay it is suspected it is due to Power steering.
Also if you turn the steering extreme right or left large noise comes. Is it driver shaft issue
Trident yet to come back. They are waiting for an email from Hyundai

Last edited by aka_iitd : 3rd September 2009 at 11:51.
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:01   #12
BHPian

I have the similar issue on my santro too, when i turn the steering completely, i hear a click on each complete rotation, I thought it is the turn signal canceler switch. Is it serious? No other sounds or heavy steering though.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I have the similar issue on my santro too, when i turn the steering completely, i hear a click on each complete rotation, I thought it is the turn signal canceler switch. Is it serious? No other sounds or heavy steering though.
Click may be OK but I hear screeching noise without setting the indicator.
If it is coming without setting indicator then you can show it in next service.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:31   #14
BHPian

Similar issue is noticed on my friends new i10 as well. The service senter has agreed to change the faulty component under extended warranty.However the labour has to be paid by the owner.
S5157 is offline   Reply With Quote