Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2009, 22:56   #1

Angry Magnum Optra 2.0 LT Clutch woes

I have a 2007 Magnum Optra 2.0 LT which has done approx 25k km till date.

The car was a dream to drive, but all that changed recently when I realised that after a routine service visit to the workshop the engine was racing without speed pickup.

Assuming a clutch problem I sent the car in to Regent Motors, Okhla.

To my dismay the verdict came back as an overheated clutch with bust clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel.

The repair charges was estimated at 46k and the reason given was that the clutch was ridden often.

That sounded ridiculous with the same driver having driven the Scorpio and then this car - all with over 5-7 years driving on Delhi roads. My contention was that if the clutch had to fail due to driven "ridden", it should have failed long ago.

The service manager countered saying that these clutches have no adjustment whatsoever so it couldnt be something wrong done during service.

After my rants, GM agreed to foot the replacement cost for the flywheel and I had to cough up the rest.

SO now the driver is under strict instruction to pussyfoot around on the streets of Delhi and I strain to look whether he has his feet needlessly on the clutch and whether the engine is racing when it shouldnt!!

Woe is me - the joy has gone out of driving.

My reason to write all this - are there other Magum Optra owners who have had this problem? Is this something I should take up further with GM to perhaps investigate other reasons for failure?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
onyxgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GM to perhaps investigate other reasons for failure
IMHO, the only reason for the clutch failure at 25K kms is the Magnum's nasty turbo lag. Your driver had probably been slipping the clutch, more so recently on an incline perhaps? No comparison to the Scorpio. It has minimal lag while Mahindra clutches are generally heavy duty.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 14:08   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Magnum Optra 2.0 LT Clutch woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, the only reason for the clutch failure at 25K kms is the Magnum's nasty turbo lag.
Hi GTO,

I need your advise on a similar issue.

My Optra Magnum 2.0 LT has done 1,33,696KM. The clutch plate was changed at 57,000 KM. The service adviser told me get the clutch plates (and related parts including fly wheel) changed every 45,000 KM. Is this a compulsory rule? As of now my clutch is absolutely fine. Can I continue till it starts causing trouble?
chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 14:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
Hi GTO,

I need your advise on a similar issue.

My Optra Magnum 2.0 LT has done 1,33,696KM. The clutch plate was changed at 57,000 KM. The service adviser told me get the clutch plates (and related parts including fly wheel) changed every 45,000 KM. Is this a compulsory rule? As of now my clutch is absolutely fine. Can I continue till it starts causing trouble?
See, these kind of service stations need to make their monies from recommending unnecessary changes. Some of the Maruti one's do the same. "SAAR, has run 50 thousand kilometers, clutch change kare", "SAAR, your car has run 1 lakh kilometers, entire steering assembly change karna padega".

To answer your question directly, No car needs a change of clutch at any specific intervals, it needs a change when your vehicle shows signs that it needs change, for example

1) Clutch slippage --> Could be a worn out clutch plate or an oil seal which has ruptured inside the gearbox assembly leading to the clutch fluid flowing inside the clutch. Either ways, clutch needs a replacement.

2) Hard clutch pedal--> Could be a simple thing as a clutch bleed, to a little complicated thing as a master/slave cylinder needing replacement, to the actual thing of a clutch needing replacement. Morever if it's just hard and the gear shifts are fine and u don't mind the hard clutch pedal, u don't need to change anything

3) Gear shifting hard--> Could be air in the system, master cylinder, slave cylinder needs a change as they are leaking, the gear linkages need adjustment/lubrication, the bush at the gearbox end has dislodged itself/worn out, synchronizers are an issue, release bearing is an issue or it really is the clutch.

In your case, if everything is fine and the clutch is 45000 kilometers old, nothing needs a change. The only change that is needed is the service advisor who recommended you this or if you have a second option, the service station itself.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 15:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
See, these kind of service stations need to make their monies from recommending unnecessary changes. Some of the Maruti one's do the same. "SAAR, has run 50 thousand kilometers, clutch change kare", "SAAR, your car has run 1 lakh kilometers, entire steering assembly change karna padega".

To answer your question directly, No car needs a change of clutch at any specific intervals, it needs a change when your vehicle shows signs that it needs change, for example

1) Clutch slippage --> Could be a worn out clutch plate or an oil seal which has ruptured inside the gearbox assembly leading to the clutch fluid flowing inside the clutch. Either ways, clutch needs a replacement.

2) Hard clutch pedal--> Could be a simple thing as a clutch bleed, to a little complicated thing as a master/slave cylinder needing replacement, to the actual thing of a clutch needing replacement. Morever if it's just hard and the gear shifts are fine and u don't mind the hard clutch pedal, u don't need to change anything

3) Gear shifting hard--> Could be air in the system, master cylinder, slave cylinder needs a change as they are leaking, the gear linkages need adjustment/lubrication, the bush at the gearbox end has dislodged itself/worn out, synchronizers are an issue, release bearing is an issue or it really is the clutch.

In your case, if everything is fine and the clutch is 45000 kilometers old, nothing needs a change. The only change that is needed is the service advisor who recommended you this or if you have a second option, the service station itself.
Thanks a lot for the great information. You are spot on many things including the service center. Here in Hyderbad all the Chevrolet A.S.S are filled with absolutely incompetent service advisers/managers though the mechanics are mediocre. This is why if there is any important work I get it done in Kropex Chevrolet Bangalore which is brilliant.

My clutch is slightly hard (I dont have any prob with it), there is no slippage and gears are butter smooth. So I have nothing to worry about. Today I had gone to Kun Chevrolet (Hafizpet) for general servicing as I am leaving for Kerala tomorrow and this guy made me guilty as I am always craving to keep my car in best shape. He was saying "your driving must be good thats why your clutch is working even after 70,000KM but it may breakdown any time"! And the total cost he was quoting was over Rs. 75,000.

Thanks for calming my nerves. I can drive happily tomorrow.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 02:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
Thanks a lot for the great information. You are spot on many things including the service center. Here in Hyderbad all the Chevrolet A.S.S are filled with absolutely incompetent service advisers/managers though the mechanics are mediocre. This is why if there is any important work I get it done in Kropex Chevrolet Bangalore which is brilliant.

My clutch is slightly hard (I dont have any prob with it), there is no slippage and gears are butter smooth. So I have nothing to worry about. Today I had gone to Kun Chevrolet (Hafizpet) for general servicing as I am leaving for Kerala tomorrow and this guy made me guilty as I am always craving to keep my car in best shape. He was saying "your driving must be good thats why your clutch is working even after 70,000KM but it may breakdown any time"! And the total cost he was quoting was over Rs. 75,000.

Thanks for calming my nerves. I can drive happily tomorrow.
Enjoy your drive. Your car is absolutely fine and clutch just won't fail. It will show you ample warnings before the car becomes immobile. Secondly, diesel clutch/pressure plate last longer than petrol ones because they are beefier in design to handle the additional torque and sudden turbo kicks that our cars have.

I ll tell you an antidote which happened some days back with me. The clutch of my Swift Diesel is around 60 thousand kilometers since the last change now. I am a very careful driver and I use the clutch with the atmost idea of babying it, like I baby my car too. Seeing how light the clutch was, the service advisor told me 'lagta hai, clutch ka kaam abhi kiye ho aap' . Imagine if he knew it was 60 thousand kilometers old, I would have got a 'Sir time to change the clutch' statement anytime soon
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:01   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Rebuild Cost and Materials for Optra - Is the price accurate?

I got the clutch kit damaged for my Optra Magnum 2.0 diesel and the quotation I got from Trident Chevy in Bangalore is approx 30k. Is that the right cost or are they over charging?
The service advisor said that they need to get a new clutch kit from chevy and then overhaul it. Need expert opinion on this!

Thanks
CrankShaft05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 16:29   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Rebuild Cost and Materials for Optra - Is the price accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
I got the clutch kit damaged for my Optra Magnum 2.0 diesel and the quotation I got from Trident Chevy in Bangalore is approx 30k. Is that the right cost or are they over charging?
The service advisor said that they need to get a new clutch kit from chevy and then overhaul it. Need expert opinion on this!

Thanks
I don't know what guidelines they use for quoting prices to a customer. Trident Chevrolet Bangalore gave me a quote of 79k for changing the clutch assembly of my Magnum where as a FNG where I usually take my car to service quoted 15k including Valeo clutch + pressure plates and release bearings. Day light looting is what this is.
aravind511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 22:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

30k is actually about right for a OEM clutch kit + labour + consumables for the Optra/Cruze.

While you are very right about the looting bit, do confirm with your FNG the authenticity of the clutch they are offering. Frankly in these inflationary days, 15k for a heavy duty 2.0 diesel engine's clutch kit sounds too good to be true.

But I hope I am eventually wrong and you are right!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 15:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
30k is actually about right for a OEM clutch kit + labour + consumables for the Optra/Cruze.

While you are very right about the looting bit, do confirm with your FNG the authenticity of the clutch they are offering. Frankly in these inflationary days, 15k for a heavy duty 2.0 diesel engine's clutch kit sounds too good to be true.

But I hope I am eventually wrong and you are right!
Gave my Magnum to the FNG for the clutch replacement. Price for Valeo plates and bearings seems to be a bit less than 15k as it is listed on some online websites as well. I negotiated ahowing this to the FNG guy and he has offered me quite a good discount as well.

But the problem now is that the flywheel also needs to be replaced as there is some play and noise from it and is going to be a costly affair. The whole job is going to be around 25k including the labour I guess. I have given him a go ahead as the guy has been maintaining my car since I bought it in Jan 2016.
aravind511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 16:55   #11
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Magnum Optra 2.0 LT Clutch woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
Gave my Magnum to the FNG for the clutch replacement. Price for Valeo plates and bearings seems to be a bit less than 15k as it is listed on some online websites as well. I negotiated ahowing this to the FNG guy and he has offered me quite a good discount as well.

But the problem now is that the flywheel also needs to be replaced as there is some play and noise from it and is going to be a costly affair. The whole job is going to be around 25k including the labour I guess. I have given him a go ahead as the guy has been maintaining my car since I bought it in Jan 2016.
Post some pictures of the old and the new parts, side by side comparison if possible. And also the WIP pictures if you can. It will be very useful for people looking out for similar stuff on the forum, not only Optra owners, but other car owners as well, since the basic underlying principles and methods are the same for most cars.
Rohit_Quad is offline   Reply With Quote