Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 05:39   #61
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lagos Nigeria
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

@turbo head

I have just booked a Superb 1.8TSI. I am sure in my place they do not sell 95RON. could you please share the copy of the letter you got from Skoda regarding the use of fuel?

appreciate your response.

Regards
Harishwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:53   #62
BHPian
 
i<3turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai/Philadel
Posts: 406
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

our cars here at audi on the brochure say 95 also, but i did take a note how they only put regular fuel in all our petrol cars, the cars run fine but do under perform compared to my car (which only see's octane boosters with 97). i am definately goin to bring this matter up with my management. i doubt it can hurt the engine since its turbo'ed and the ecu will just adjust the air and fuel mixture accordingly. now if your car is a high compression car, then you would have to be worried. for example my civic si which has a k20z3, required 91 aka premium fuel, if i put regular fuel in like this one idiot put in at a petrol pump, i would develop knocks in the engine.
i<3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:34   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,453
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

Your car did not have knocking sensors?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:48   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,739
Thanked: 89,320 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harishwar View Post
@turbo head

I have just booked a Superb 1.8TSI.
As you have booked a 1.8 TSI, don't worry (his car is a 3.6 V6). The Superb 1.8 runs just alright on regular petrol, though for optimum performance (say, the fastest 0 - 100 time), it will need high octane fuel.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:57   #65
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,760
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As you have booked a 1.8 TSI, don't worry (his car is a 3.6 V6). The Superb 1.8 runs just alright on regular petrol, though for optimum performance (say, the fastest 0 - 100 time), it will need high octane fuel.
Im starting to wonder whether the thread starter had a one off issue. Because I have a couple of friends with 3.6 Superbs and im damn sure they use normal petrol, but they havent had any issues.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:30   #66
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Im starting to wonder whether the thread starter had a one off issue. Because I have a couple of friends with 3.6 Superbs and im damn sure they use normal petrol, but they havent had any issues.
yes there will be no issues, the ecu retards the ignition automatically, these are common with modern ecus which are present in most german cars like bmw,merc, audi etc, but the performance will drop abit for sure..

cheers..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 12:25   #67
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

@akshay & Berj79 : The issue was not that whether the car runs on normal fuel or not, the concern was that Skoda voids all sorts of warranties on the product if used with normal fuel.

In order to retain the warranty of the new vehicle you essentially need to run it on RON95/97 fuel which was sadly not available in that particular city (not even in nearby cities as well). So how could they sell the product through their respective dealership, when there is no availability of the required fuel, also as mentioned earlier the same would be out of warranty if used with normal fuel.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 13:39   #68
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
@akshay & Berj79 : The issue was not that whether the car runs on normal fuel or not, the concern was that Skoda voids all sorts of warranties on the product if used with normal fuel.

In order to retain the warranty of the new vehicle you essentially need to run it on RON95/97 fuel which was sadly not available in that particular city (not even in nearby cities as well). So how could they sell the product through their respective dealership, when there is no availability of the required fuel, also as mentioned earlier the same would be out of warranty if used with normal fuel.
hmmn agreed, very bad move my skoda, dont know what they were thinking, the 3.6 petrol superbs should only be sold in euro3 cities

cheers..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 10:16   #69
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

I know that this is an old discussion, but just wanted to highlight, 95 RON (Research Octane Number) is equivalent to 91 Octane available at our petrol pumps.
Capt. Shyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 10:36   #70
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,760
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default Re: Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shyam View Post
I know that this is an old discussion, but just wanted to highlight, 95 RON (Research Octane Number) is equivalent to 91 Octane available at our petrol pumps.
FYI what we get in India is ron, and not octane. So we actually get 91 ron at our pumps.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 05:01   #71
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 889 Times
Default Superb 3.6 FSI & Octane requirements

Hello All,

I know this is an old topic. We recently picked up a well kept Superb 3.6 (Nov - 2010 and 62000 KMs on the ODO). Coming back to the recommended fuel grades, I had enquired around and understood that many of the 3.6s in the country are being run on regular 91 octane fuel without any problems

While the sticker on the fuel lid on our car shows a recommendation of minimum 95 octane, I found out something specific in the technical data included in the owner's manual.

Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol-screenshot-bs4.jpg

If you notice the highlighted regions of the attachment, there are separate technical specifications for a BS4 rated version of the 3.6L VR6 engine. The fuel consumption figures in urban/highway/overall categories are higher for the BS4 variant of the engine. CO2 emissions also are higher for the BS4 variant.

Now my understanding is, if there is a specific BS4 variant, the same would have been tested with 91 octane fuel. Hope someone who might be interested to pick one in the used market find this information useful.

Regards,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Czech sleeper: Pre-owned Skoda Superb 3.6 FSI 4x4 avinash_clt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 53 7th September 2017 14:34
Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe Abhinav667 The International Automotive Scene 59 15th January 2014 21:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks