Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th September 2009, 15:19   #1
BHPian

Default Low growling sound in Swift - A/c Compressor replacement.

My Swift VXI is showing some puzzling symptoms. While driving with A/c on a sound is emanating when the A/c button is switched off. The sound is like a dog growling in a low voice which then tapers off. ( looks like when a motor rotors come to a stop). This noise also arises when the A/c is on and the clutch pedal is floored (but this happens not always). Cooling seems to be O.K.

Any guesses reg. the problem !!

would be taking it to MASS when I find time soon.

Last edited by emkay456 : 7th September 2009 at 15:20.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:45   #2
BHPian

Get the AC blower cleaned. I also got such noises while blower fan was operating, but was fixed during service. MASS guys mentioned this as 'AC blower cleaning'.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 16:26   #3
BHPian

It has nothing to do with the blower. I did not say that the sound is permanent when the A/c and blower are working. Sound comes on only when either switching OFF the A/c manually (with even blower button on). At that time the blower is on.
Secondly the clutch-a/c combination is interesting.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:20   #4
BHPian

Quite surprising to see that none of our experts has yet viewed and commented yet on my problem.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

What you are explaining sounds like a bearing problem but am unable to comprehend the connection with the clutch.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 16:02   #6
BHPian

my guess is that a/c must be cutting off sometimes when the clutch is floored i.e the sound must be triggered by some mechanical process on a/c switch (cut) off .
Old 9th September 2009, 17:22   #7
BHPian

Hi
Your compressor is about to be konk off. I had this problem in my zen. by the way how much on odo?
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:35   #8
BHPian

The Odo is 16K+ only. There has not been any perceptable cooling drop in the A/c working. Now compressor conking off is scary news. Need to rush the vehicle to MASS this weekend.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

It could be that it is just the evaporator clearing off the last of the liquid from the line. Check the refrigerant level.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:56   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

IMO, your compressor is fine, especially since you mentioned that this noise occurs when the a/c is sitched off.

Sometimes debris like leaves, twigs stuck inside the circular blower fan and hit the turning blades and resonate and create the low drone/growl that you are referring to. Get the a/c blower motor open and check and clean any debris that might be there and this noise should stop.

I had this problem in my M800 as well. The culprit was the recirculating flap that allows leaves and other crud to fall into the blower assembly when opened.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 03:53   #11
BHPian

I too hear that sound sometimes in my Swift when I switch the AC off. I thought that was normal! The cooling is perfect since the last one year.

emkay, if you are going to MASS and find it as a problem, pls post here. Thank you!
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 14:33   #12
BHPian

i went to 2 local A/c repair shops today. It is now diagnosed as a A/c Clutch assembly failure. ( A/c clutch a electrogmagnetic assembly connected to the Compressor ). As they needed 4-5 hrs time and had to source the assembly unit, I have postponed the change to another holiday.
The problem meanwhile continues and whenever the computer controlled thermostat cuts off, the sound emanates.
Ill post the costs involved when I go for the replacement.

Btw the Maruti Swift A/c is a Sanden make one and is similar to those in Alto etc.
Old 18th September 2009, 15:52   #13
BHPian

Default Now the A/c problem ends in disaster. Compressor gone !!

Continuing from my last post, where the A/c wallahs told me that you can use the A/c as it is working only that the clutch action may be poor. The car was getting cooled properly and I took it to M/s Automttive today with A/c running. The customer service being too poor there as I was made to wait 20 mts without any attention, I left to return back to New Panvel. Half way on the highway, there was a hissing sound and immediately felt some disaster. I switched off the A/c and then switched on but no more hssing sound but the A/c cooling now becomes zero !!
I rushed to the nearest MASS at Panvel "Gangal Motors". Demonstrated the growling sound and no cooling. They showed me oil leak below the Compressor and stated that compressor has lost oil. As they were removing the bumper for further inspection, their A/c expert came and to see for himself started the A/c. All were shocked to hear mechanical grating sound. At that moment I realised I had it.
Now MASS says that once compressor is damaged, they also have to replace condensor as metal particles and oil may have reached the whole conduit and even new compressor will run a risk of damage if those are not changed. Listing below the likely estimates for parts :
Compressor Assembly Rs 11381
Condensor Rs. 4637
Expansion Valve Rs. 2633
Evaporator Rs 2200 ( may likely be spared )

Over and above these , gas refill , labour charges.
I am likely to be set back by minimum Rs 28 K after labour and VAT. After getting costs, contacted another non MASS A/c shop. They say at max they can give an estimate of Rs. 2000 less and only on inspection can they decide whether condensor needs to be replaced. According to them if very small particles in condensor, chemical treatment would suffice.
But at this stage not inclined to take risks with piecemeal approach.
All involved are surprised that I could be so unlucky with a relatively less used Swift.

Last edited by emkay456 : 18th September 2009 at 16:06.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:25   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

emkay456,

This is very unfortunate. Get the entire system checked thoroughly before you start any work to clearly ascertain the extent of the damage. However, I don't think any major damage has been done to your a/c system.

People at MASS tend to blow things out of proportion at times and that's probably what's happened in your case. Get the entire system inspected by an outside dealer and get his opinion on the same.

Last edited by gpa : 18th September 2009 at 16:28.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 18:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
emkay456,

People at MASS tend to blow things out of proportion at times and that's probably what's happened in your case.
You are right. MASS guys do not have much idea about the a/c issues.

The evening status is that they removed the compressor and found the remaining oil in it still dripping in green color. In the afternoon I had infact told them that considerig the oil coming out to be green, i doubt any mechanical parts would have been damaged yet But those guys (talking through their hat) told me that the green color was the coolant first and then said it was the a/c gas which which is colored green. I swallowed all this with total cynicism.
Now it has been decided that it is worth while trying to again fill some oil into the compressor and restart the process with gas refilling and see how it behaves. If it succeeds then I save the costs of parts else second hope is that just the compressor needs replacement in which case I end up with costs upto Rs. 16K. instead of 25K.