Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th September 2009, 13:56   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Swift/ Dzire - "Did You Know?" Series..

Well, better late then never, the series continues:
  1. The odometer in the Swift will show display even without the ignition key for 5 seconds. Just press the reset probe and see what happens!
  2. The brightness of the meter illumination can be controlled in every Swift with the same probe.
  3. The ORVMs in a Swift can be folded on either side, i.e inwards and outwards.
  4. The headlight focussing in a Swift is a breeze. Simply turn the adjuster (povided at the place from where you replace the headlight bulb) clock wise or anticlockwise to raise or dip the beam.
  5. The door shutline (gaps) can be adjusted by rotating the rubber knob located at the bottom of each door in either direction. This applies to the bonnet too.
  6. Rear fog light can be turned on alongwith the headlight with the 'ring' provided on the right control stick lever.
Thanx
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 18:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

akash_m : Good info !

Is these applies to all variants or limited to some ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 18:28   #3
BHPian

The rear fog lamp can only be swtiched on with the head lamp fully on (low/high beam). But once the fog lamp is switched on, you can turn the head lamp to pilot mode. All this using the ring switch provided on the right control stick.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 18:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
akash_m : Good info !

Is these applies to all variants or limited to some ?
Applies to almost all the variants.

Let the info flow in guys
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 19:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, recently my rear axle got damaged (bent) due to bad roads.

The Service people told that, its not possible to repair it and can only replace it. Cost : Close to 9K

So, make sure you slow down considerably in bad roads
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:36   #6
BHPian

Default Squeaks and rattles

You can eaisly eliminate many squeaks and rattles coming out of the dashboard area. Simply follow the following steps:
  • Open the glovebox compartment lid. In the fully open position, grab the lid and try to pull it towards your chest, while being seated on the co-passenger seat.
  • The lid will come out eailsy with two seperate 'clicks'
  • Now you have the access to the inside of the dash area.
  • Simply use a torch to locate & diagnose the probable causes of rattle.
  • Most common cause is the Male-Female plastic electrical joint (present in plenty) in the dash area. Most of the times they are hung loose and create unnecessary noise. Apply cellotape or some packing etc as per the situation.
  • Another cause of rattle is the audio head unit being loose. You cab apply packing accordingly from behind to stop these rattles.
Once finished, you can put the lid back using same procedure (two clicks) & enjoy rattle free drive!!

Old 10th September 2009, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
The ORVMs in a Swift can be folded on either side, i.e inwards and outwards.
That's a very strange find !!

So if folded outwards, passerby's can have a look at them and set their hair etc etc

Anyways, nice information on this thread. I bet some of these things people wouldn't have known despite owning these cars for several months.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

So if folded outwards, passerby's can have a look at them and set their hair etc etc

Anyways, nice information on this thread. I bet some of these things people wouldn't have known despite owning these cars for several months.
Well, I think the idea of ORVM to bend outward is a good thinking. In case of a vehicle in traffic hits your ORVM while overtaking you, this facility might just prevent heavy damage on the ORVM. The ORVM would simply bend outward, which in other case would most likely crack off.
cbzire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzire View Post
Well, I think the idea of ORVM to bend outward is a good thinking. In case of a vehicle in traffic hits your ORVM while overtaking you, this facility might just prevent heavy damage on the ORVM. The ORVM would simply bend outward, which in other case would most likely crack off.
Yep. Thats the whole objective of that setup
Old 10th September 2009, 12:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

I actually use it for styling my hair often after getting off the car!!
Old 10th September 2009, 13:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzire View Post
Exactly! Happened to me couple of times, and the mirror just folds outside. And once the funny part was that Indica hit my mirror, and he was looking at my folded mirror with his broken mirror !
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:04   #12
DRC
BHPian

Interesting!
+1; Hatch can be opened from inside (Zxi) in the absense of battery (an emergency feature)

There is a red light on the rear bumper and a switch to it on the stalk, I have not figured out figured out the purpose of it ;-(

Both back rest and the seat can be removed with out the need of tools to make a huge boot. (we use it to take bycycles out), with out this the boot is really dismal to carry any big luggage.

Swift has a 12V outlet in the boot which easy to miss. comes handy for the rear seat passengers for charging phones and other accesseries (we use it maily for charging camera batteries)
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Those with climate control, the climate control system knows when to open or close the outside air vents based on the temperature difference. If you want to do a quick air refresh, you can turn the right side temperature knob to a high temperature which opens the vent. Turn down the temperature knob and voila the air vents get closed.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:31   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Swift has a 12V outlet in the boot which easy to miss. comes handy for the rear seat passengers for charging phones and other accesseries (we use it maily for charging camera batteries)
Thats nice! Didnt know such a feature existed.

It can also be used to connect a portable vaccum cleaner for cleaning the rear.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thats nice! Didnt know such a feature existed.

It can also be used to connect a portable vaccum cleaner for cleaning the rear.
The 12v outlet is present only in the ZXi.

Watashi,
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.