Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 09:24   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Not needed.Just keep a watch on the coolant level and teh temperature gauge.
i say thats not smart. He himself is saying the amount of coolant that he cleaned from cabin is not a small quantity. It has to be a drop in the level, unless he is carrying a spare bottle in the cabin that got ruptured.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 12:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,759 Times
Default

I have only got them abroad. I have used Bar's Leak and the Holts sealant. I am sure Bardahl and others should have a good product. I know many people in the UK add a bottle/can to the coolant as a mater of course.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:39   #18
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i say thats not smart. He himself is saying the amount of coolant that he cleaned from cabin is not a small quantity. It has to be a drop in the level, unless he is carrying a spare bottle in the cabin that got ruptured.
Hello Seniors,

I thought the issue was reolved now, but unfortunately it's not.

Yesterday, I observed that, the coolant reserviour is full ie upto the level, but the water reserviour is dry . I filled it up with water. Drove about 4-5 Kms. then checked, the coolant was infact sucked from coolant reserviour, but the water reserviour level was too low, negligible. Filled up water again.
After 5 Hours, when the engin was cool, checked the coolant and water reserviour levels. Coolant level was upto the mark, but water reserviour was again dry..

Again filled up the water level, checked for any pipe leak. No leakage of coolant in cockpit or anywhere. Still the water reserviour tends to remain DRY.

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:54   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 156
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

This type of problem i faced with my car in Australia , the culprit was a small crack / hole ( due to age as my car was 1984 model and i was studying in 2002/2003 ) in Air Pipe - which runs underneath the dashboard - the mechanic told me to pull out the dashboard and put in new pipes - since i was on student budget i told him i needed a fix it type of solution - he told me to put a solution named as - CHEMIWELD in raditor - and keep the car running for 20 mins and wola after 20min no leakage - now the point is do we get CHEMIWELD in India ?
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:35   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hello Seniors,

I thought the issue was reolved now, but unfortunately it's not.

Yesterday, I observed that, the coolant reserviour is full ie upto the level, but the water reserviour is dry . I filled it up with water. Drove about 4-5 Kms. then checked, the coolant was infact sucked from coolant reserviour, but the water reserviour level was too low, negligible. Filled up water again.
After 5 Hours, when the engin was cool, checked the coolant and water reserviour levels. Coolant level was upto the mark, but water reserviour was again dry..

Again filled up the water level, checked for any pipe leak. No leakage of coolant in cockpit or anywhere. Still the water reserviour tends to remain DRY.

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
Can't understand what the coolant reservoir is and what the water reservoir is?there is a white container which is located in teh engine bay - that is teh expansion bottle.There is a black reservoir which is approx 1.5 ft wide and it has a cap on it - this is the radiator.

Which is full and which is empty?
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:54   #21
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Can't understand what the coolant reservoir is and what the water reservoir is?there is a white container which is located in teh engine bay - that is teh expansion bottle.There is a black reservoir which is approx 1.5 ft wide and it has a cap on it - this is the radiator.

Which is full and which is empty?

Sorry for the confusion created .
By Water reserviour, I mean to sya ' 'Radiator' is fully dry. The coolant reserviour (white container) is upto the level.

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 09:59   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

When the water heats up when engine runs,the radiator cap spring lifts to release some of the pressure created - this quantity released is very less and goes to the expansion bottle

Similarly when the engine is turned off and the sysetm begins to cool,the radiator tends to go into vacuum.The radiator cap has a small ring at the bottom - this is a vacuum relief valve and this allows fluid from the expansion bottle to get sucked back to the radiator to maintain level.

If radiator is losing level with teh expansion bottle level rising/remaining constant,it is a sure shot case of a leak

Please check
  1. radiator connections - any leaks?
  2. radiator body - any leaks
  3. radiator cap - are both pressure release system and vacuum relief systems working?
  4. hose from the radiator to the expansion bottle - is it cracked/loose?
  5. is there any other leak from where air could be ingressing?

Last edited by vigsom : 27th September 2009 at 09:59. Reason: additions
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 12:15   #23
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

If radiator is losing level with teh expansion bottle level rising/remaining constant,it is a sure shot case of a leak

Hi,

Then, you mean to say, in cool engine condition, ideally the radiator level should be full and expansion bottle level should reduce as compared to hot engine condition???

Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 14:57   #24
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
When the water heats up when engine runs,the radiator cap spring lifts to release some of the pressure created - this quantity released is very less and goes to the expansion bottle

Similarly when the engine is turned off and the sysetm begins to cool,the radiator tends to go into vacuum.The radiator cap has a small ring at the bottom - this is a vacuum relief valve and this allows fluid from the expansion bottle to get sucked back to the radiator to maintain level.

If radiator is losing level with teh expansion bottle level rising/remaining constant,it is a sure shot case of a leak

Please check
  1. radiator connections - any leaks?
  2. radiator body - any leaks
  3. radiator cap - are both pressure release system and vacuum relief systems working?
  4. hose from the radiator to the expansion bottle - is it cracked/loose?
  5. is there any other leak from where air could be ingressing?
Most probably the culprit is the Radiator cap. I had this problem with my Maruthi-800 a few years back. I replaced the caps a couple of times without any effect. Because of the wear and tear on the Radiator filler neck, the Caps won't seal properly the expanded coolant escapes from the cap instead of returning to the Reservoir Bottle. Since it was not possible to repair the filler neck, replacing the Radiator was the only solution. No problems after replacing the radiator.
The level in the radiator would go low but never dry unless you have a heavy leak in the radiator or the coolant pipes.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 21:55   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hi,

Then, you mean to say, in cool engine condition, ideally the radiator level should be full and expansion bottle level should reduce as compared to hot engine condition???

Dev_Kudle
Initial state - cold engine:Radiator full and expansion bottle level upto the maximum mark

Intermediate state - engine at operating temperature - some coolant(a very small quantity) would expand and release to the expansion bottle - that would mean a very small increase in level of the expansion bottle

Final state - engine shut off and cooling - the radiator would begin going into vacuum and gradually all coolant which was released to the expansion bottle would be sucked back into the radiator through the radiator cap vacuum relief valve - finally levels would return to initial state.

Over a period of time,say 4-6 months, some water which is lost as water vapour through the expansion bottle would result in a slight drop in level in the bottle - that would need a top up to bring the level back to max.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:12   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
  1. radiator - any leaks?
Will fixing leak with Mseal can hold up in a 4 yrs old radiator?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 22:45   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

m seal can hold low pressure - no guarantee that it can withstand the 0.9kg/cm2 in a radiator,but can be tried
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 15:33   #28
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Hello Gurus,

Checked the car with local mechanic. The coolant is dripping somewhere in the line of engine. I found the coolant dripping below the engine.
According to mechanic, the pump, which is connected to engine (I'm not sure what this pump is called ) is leak and needs to be changed.
I guess it's called water pump??
Should I change it or is there anything I can check??

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 15:56   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Its called the water pump - How old is the car and how many Km's has it run. Replacing it is labor intensive as several things need to be moved out of the way (timing belt, belt cover, etc.)

Go ahead and get the pump changed (after verifying that it indeed is the source of the leak).

If the car has done more than 50K km or is 6+ years old then you should also get the timing belt and tensioner pulley replaced (if never done before). This is preventive maintenance and you might as well do it when the parts are being opened up to replace the water pump.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 18:02   #30
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Its called the water pump - How old is the car and how many Km's has it run. Replacing it is labor intensive as several things need to be moved out of the way (timing belt, belt cover, etc.)

If the car has done more than 50K km or is 6+ years old then you should also get the timing belt and tensioner pulley replaced (if never done before).
Hi,

Yes, it's 2001 Esteem VX, and run 52000 Km till now. My mechanic is also suggesting to replace the timing belt as well.

Could you please let me know about the approx cost for 'Water pump and timing belt'. So, that, I will be prepared during this work.

Thanks for your response.

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Santro: Coolant Leakage from a strange location ghpk Technical Stuff 19 25th March 2015 07:29
Alto - Coolant Leakage - How to take my car to Service? Karim Bhai Technical Stuff 19 20th June 2010 13:47
Hyundai Accent coolant leakage problem livyodream Technical Stuff 3 16th June 2010 13:05
Coolant liquid leakage wanderlustindia Technical Stuff 18 21st April 2009 11:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks