Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd April 2011, 13:36   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Coolant Leakage in Esteem VX-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You really do not need more than a litre of coolant for the esteem. The rest should be water.
Is it? He did pour the entire 2 litres in front of me. It's all holding up good as of now.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 15:12   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You really do not need more than a litre of coolant for the esteem. The rest should be water.
Dilution ratios of different types and brands of coolants vary. Some are "use-as-it-is", with no addition of water required. Others are coolant concentrates, and the dilution can vary. For 1 part coolant, anything between 1 to 4 parts of water may need to be added. Please recheck what was used, and throw out the lot and fill new coolant at the next service if there is any doubt.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 01:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Is it? He did pour the entire 2 litres in front of me. It's all holding up good as of now.
AFAIK, the esteem radiator along with the overflow will not take more than 1.5L. If you are happy, all is well. Leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Dilution ratios of different types and brands of coolants vary. Some are "use-as-it-is", with no addition of water required. Others are coolant concentrates, and the dilution can vary. For 1 part coolant, anything between 1 to 4 parts of water may need to be added. Please recheck what was used, and throw out the lot and fill new coolant at the next service if there is any doubt.
I don' think that is true in the context of times, all coolants will say "use-it-as-it-is" in the instructions on the bottle, but it is the user preference, if you know what is required for your vehicle, you do not have to follow the printed "general" instructions which are made to make you buy more.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 18:05   #64
BHPian

There should be no problem running the car. I have a 50-50 mix of coolant and water running without any problem in my Esteem. I have been planning to change it for about a year now, but am too lazy to get to the FNG and convince the guy why I want to change it!

OT, the capacity for the coolant including the reservior tank is 4.5 liters as per the manual.
dashoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 10:55   #65
BHPian

These radiator woes never seem to end. Based on everyone's opinions I had decided to wait for a few more weeks so that I could get the coolant replaced at the scheduled service. Now, from the last 4-5 days, I noticed that the AC had been working erratically. The compressor cuts off randomly and it just stops cooling anymore. I though the gas needs recharging as it had been 2yrs since it was done last. Then, I just happened to glance at the temp gauge and I was shocked to see the needle above the halfway mark. And then I realized that it was somewhere around this mark that the compressor switches itself off(some safety Mechanism I presume to prevent further overheating). And as I watched, it started rising and was hovering after the last marking.
I assumed the inferior quality coolant to be the suspect and went for the service immediately yesterday. Got the coolant changed to Castrol Golden something. But today, the problem re-appeared. What could it be? I checked the fan, it is working. Could it be the turbulators that the radiator mechanic guys removed that is causing this? If so, where could I get new ones from?
But has the Delhi heat got something to do with. It is almost kissing 45 degrees everyday.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 11:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
These radiator woes never seem to end. Based on everyone's opinions I had decided to wait for a few more weeks so that I could get the coolant replaced at the scheduled service. Now, from the last 4-5 days, I noticed that th........ elhi heat got something to do with. It is almost kissing 45 degrees everyday.
Sinner, i think its time for a MASS visit, and some slightly major expenses....
you may need replacements.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 21:50   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Have the AC condenser coils and radiator fins pressure washed. Get an AC mech to see if the gas in the system is reduced or not - charge gas if required. Check if both AC and radiator fans run at proper rpm. Remove the thermostat valve if your radiator mech hadn't already done it. If nothing works, you need a new radiator.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 22:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Is your engine overheating in spite of the radiator being full or is the radiator still leaking ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 23:02   #69
BHPian

Just a couple of points :

1. Did you get the cooling system cleaned? There is a bend where all the muck tends to accumulate - should be near the top hose connects to the engine. OT, my friends 800 had the same problem and we discovered that the flow to the radiator was restricted because of the muck deposits at this place. Get this checked at a FNG because MASS would just recommend to change the radiator.

2. Check the water pump belt - is the play OK? The manual recommends replacement at 60 KKms.

I would have recommended my FNG which happens to be a MASS for this. Unfortunately, it has closed down. Seems the real estate oppurtunity was far more lucrative!

Last edited by dashoin : 18th May 2011 at 23:03.
dashoin is offline   Reply With Quote