Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 17:29   #1
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Coolant Leakage in Esteem VX-2001

Hello Gurus,

I'm requesting for help for the very first time. I searched the previous discussions, but not able to find any details on this. Hence, starting a new topic.

@ MODS: Please merge this thread, if topic already exists.

Yesterday, when checking my car, I found some greenish liquid under driver's seat mattress (cockpit). Then, I checked under passenger's seat mattress and found the same thing.
Now, one thing to mention here is that, the liquid was not in a small volume. It took about 2 big cloths to soak it out.
My car was idle for 3 days (not in use), and in between these 3 days, I checked the car, and nothing was there.
I opened the bonnet, and found that, the coolant and water reseviour were completely empty.
Tried to locate any leakage under hood and in cockpit, but was not able to locate it.
My question is, how this coolant came to car's cockpit, there isn't any pipe running?? Or Am I wrong?
How should I locate the leakage?? Is it fine, if I pour water in coolant and water reserviour, just to reach my mechanic. If, he find the leakage, how can I drain the water from coolant reserviour??


I'm new to driving, just 1500 KM of experience. So, please guide me with this issue, so that it could be resolved without much difficulty.

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Looks like the heater core for the A/C might have ruptured or the pipe connecting to it in the passenger cabin might have burst.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
My question is, how this coolant came to car's cockpit, there isn't any pipe running?? Or Am I wrong?
How should I locate the leakage?? Is it fine, if I pour water in coolant and water reserviour, just to reach my mechanic. If, he find the leakage, how can I drain the water from coolant reserviour??


I'm new to driving, just 1500 KM of experience. So, please guide me with this issue, so that it could be resolved without much difficulty.

Regards,
Dev_Kudle
As Psycho said,it could be either the heater coil or the pipe.

Take it to a good A/C mechanic;to reach there it is fine if you just put water in and watch your temperature gauge-don't exceed 75% of the gauge range in any case.

In case it is the heater core,it might be expensive to fix.Since you are a Bhau in Mumbai, and Mumbai doesn't get cooooold,I'd recommend you to bypass the heater core and plug the open ends.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:33   #4
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Thanks for the reply seniors.
But, one more thing, will it affect my AC performace if I do as suggested by 'vigsom' ('bypass the heater core and plug the open ends') incase I heater coil is the culprit?I guess, I will not be able to use 'heater', but, will it affect normal AC functioning??
And yes, I did felt low AC cooling few days before this happened.

Awaiting replies

Dev_Kudle
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default

I will suggest add a good radiator sealant and let the engine warm up. May be drive for 5-10km. If it is a leak in the metallic parts it will seal up (almost) for good.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:59   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

^^^
I'm yet to come across any good ones. Could you please suggest a couple of brands that are available in India.

Would also be a handy thing to carry on a roadtrip in the middle of nowhere.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 01:57   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

this is a serious problem. as loosing coolant is not a good thing.

First check that the rubber inlet and fibre hose of coolant to the heater coil is not leaking (unlikely)

get it repaired. If you are not using the heater (being in mumbai) seal off the T on the coolant pipe with a good welder. as replacing the heater coil may be costly.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 02:07   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 269
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Why not get it looked into at a good mechanic before attempting all this DIY? Simple.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 09:26   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
But, one more thing, will it affect my AC performace if I do as suggested by 'vigsom' ('bypass the heater core and plug the open ends') incase I heater coil is the culprit?I guess, I will not be able to use 'heater', but, will it affect normal AC functioning??
And yes, I did felt low AC cooling few days before this happened.

Awaiting replies

Dev_Kudle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will suggest add a good radiator sealant and let the engine warm up. May be drive for 5-10km. If it is a leak in the metallic parts it will seal up (almost) for good.
It won't affect the AC functioning.
I suggest you try out what boss SGIITK has to say here.This is a no-risk proposition.Even after that if the leak persists,I'd suggest you visit a good mechanic and bypass the heater.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 09:41   #10
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Thanks for the reply seniors.
But, one more thing, will it affect my AC performace if I do as suggested by 'vigsom' ('bypass the heater core and plug the open ends') incase I heater coil is the culprit?I guess, I will not be able to use 'heater', but, will it affect normal AC functioning??
And yes, I did felt low AC cooling few days before this happened.

Awaiting replies

Dev_Kudle
Please confirm that you have both cooling and heating system in your vehicle as some models have only the A/C and not the heating. Anyway if have heating and you plug the circulation connections, it won't affect your A/C as long as you keep the setting in the blue range.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 09:49   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

As far as I know, the Esteem came with the HVAC(Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) ever since it was launched in 1994;same with all other models of Maruti upwards of Zen

All these cars come with a Air Intake Lever(for fresh air/closed circulation),a heater coil and an evaporator coil( commonly called the cooling coil)

There is a lever which moves from a red zone(heating) to a blue zone(a/c)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:29   #12
BHPian
 
dev_kudle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
It won't affect the AC functioning.
I suggest you try out what boss SGIITK has to say here.This is a no-risk proposition.Even after that if the leak persists,I'd suggest you visit a good mechanic and bypass the heater.

Thanks Seniors for the replies

I did as suggested. Filled the coolant and water reserviour with water and dragged the car to the nearest mechanic (1 Km). He chekced the coolant intake pipe. No leakage there. No leakage in the reserviour too. He said, the heater coil must be the culprit and suggested me to cut the coolant intake pipe for heater coil and connect it back to the outgoing.
Aggreed to this, as this was suggestedby you guys too.

He cut the pipe, connected it to outgoing. Poured new coolant in 1:2 ratio. Kept idling for 5 min...smoke started coming out. He said, the pipe was a bit soft. He cut the soft portion and again reconnected. Coolant for dripping till the trapped air was released.
Now, since last 24 hours, there is no leakage in cockpit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One small question though: Do the need to seal (weld) the inlet from which the mechanic disconnected the coolant intake pipe??

dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 19:47   #13
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

[quote=vigsom;

There is a lever which moves from a red zone(heating) to a blue zone(a/c)[/quote]

I have a Deluxe (1987) Maruthi Suzuki 800 which came with Aircondiyioning as standard. The Knob for controlling the Temperature with the Red and Blue zone appears to be is just "Dummy" . As per the A/C Mechanics:- "The Temperature is controlled by a bypass valve in the Evaporator. When the temp reaches around 5*C the Bypass valve opens and diverts the freon back to the compressor " till. Can any knowledgable BHPian confirm this is case with the Maruthi-800?.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 21:25   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I have a Deluxe (1987) Maruthi Suzuki 800 which came with Aircondiyioning as standard. The Knob for controlling the Temperature with the Red and Blue zone appears to be is just "Dummy"
As far as I know,Maruti 800s those days used to come only with A/C - no heaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
As per the A/C Mechanics:- "The Temperature is controlled by a bypass valve in the Evaporator. When the temp reaches around 5*C the Bypass valve opens and diverts the freon back to the compressor " till. Can any knowledgable BHPian confirm this is case with the Maruthi-800?.
No idea about this.All I know is that there is an expansion valve just ahead of the evaporator which causes the high pressure liquid refrigerant to expand/flash and that is how the chilling takes place.that chill is then transferred by the blower air to the car.At approx 11 deg.C grill temperature,the a/c compressor cuts off and then when the temperature again rises,the compressor cuts on.That is how the A/C works.

Any Car A/C specialists who can enlighten us further?
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 21:33   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
One small question though: Do the need to seal (weld) the inlet from which the mechanic disconnected the coolant intake pipe??

Not needed.Just keep a watch on the coolant level and teh temperature gauge.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Santro: Coolant Leakage from a strange location ghpk Technical Stuff 19 25th March 2015 07:29
Alto - Coolant Leakage - How to take my car to Service? Karim Bhai Technical Stuff 19 20th June 2010 13:47
Hyundai Accent coolant leakage problem livyodream Technical Stuff 3 16th June 2010 13:05
Coolant liquid leakage wanderlustindia Technical Stuff 18 21st April 2009 11:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks