Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th September 2009, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Default Fuel Average for Baleno 6.5KMPL

I'm having some strange mileage issue since last 3-4 months. There is no issue in pick up or any abnormality in car i'm facing.

Only thing is i always do a tank fill and since last couple of months my car usage is less. Some times i fill tank in a month.

Is it that petrol is some how getting lost due to vapour or anything due to this?

Need expert suggestion here.

PS: BTW previously i was getting milege of 8.5-9 and now it's 6.5-7.5

Last edited by akas_chauhan : 14th September 2009 at 14:17.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:43   #2
BHPian

No takers here. Come on guys i thought you guys will be poring suggetions.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get the car serviced/tuned up and check for fuel leaks.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I had my Accent garaged for almost 1-1/2 months. Not much of a dent in the fuel consumption at the next fill. I will suspect - fuel loss (leakage) from the line/filter/somewhere.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

How much has the car done? How often do you take the car out and do you start and idle the car during the in between rest days?

Anyways good idea to do an engine tune up and filter checks along with ruling out any fuel leakages.

Most important is it parked safe? hope no one is sharing the fuel from your car for his/her vehicle
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How much has the car done? How often do you take the car out and do you start and idle the car during the in between rest days?

Anyways good idea to do an engine tune up and filter checks along with ruling out any fuel leakages.

Most important is it parked safe? hope no one is sharing the fuel from your car for his/her vehicle
Car has done 21K. Not often i take it out mostly 2-3 times in a week and each time around 18-20KM on an average, so around 200KM per month. I do not think it's leaking oil and yes it's in apartment basement parking lot. So don't think anybody stealing it.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:55   #7
DRC
BHPian

Akas, I have a Fiat petra 1.6 may be I have a answer to the problem you are facing.

My car has done 85K kms, I consistently get 9kmpl in Bangalore city, 12-14 kmpl on highway. However, from past few months, every afternoon, 1.5 + 1.5 kms in absolutely no traffic is the only travel my car does. You know what mileage I get, 6.5 kmpl. Please see if your usage pattern is any similar.

I strongly suspect failure to achive the operating temperature is the issue. Once I had to get the PUC done quickly, I started the car first thing in the morning and drove directly to the PUC centre which is nearly a KM. Well It almost failed the PUC test.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 19:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Ok since you do 18-20 kms at a stretch it cant be termed as short stints, if so i would be getting even less mileage on my regular usage car

Do a complete check up/tune up and clean those filters, should sort out the issue. See i have had 3 cars (diff make and model) in the last 6 months, which are being used even lesser compared to your usage, and have no issue with mileage. So this definitely is not normal.

Vapor loss will not account for such a big loss, also since its parked inside an apartment basement.

ps: Apartment basement parking doesnt mean that stealing can be ruled out, one way to figure out is to look for any residue mark near the fuel filter area on the floor. Petrol will leave some marks if somebody is playing the fool.

I recently saw my colleague's driver flicking fuel at our office car park! and reported it to my colleague, who was wondering why a brand new ANHC returning 8 kmpl

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th September 2009 at 19:32.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 19:34   #9
BHPian

Is Adultered fuel is playing spoilsport here?
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 19:36   #10
BHPian

All I can think is fuel theft. Baleno should not return such low figures.

My office is only 6kms away. Regular mileage of 10.5kmpl.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 19:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
All I can think is fuel theft. Baleno should not return such low figures.

My office is only 6kms away. Regular mileage of 10.5kmpl.
dude. you don't count! you don't own a baleno!
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote