Team-BHP - Should I replace my battery??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Should I replace my battery?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/65793-should-i-replace-my-battery.html)

I am in desperate need of some urgent advise. I am scheduled to be going on trip to Ooty and K.Gudi during the course of the following week for which I had organised, planned and done the necessary arrangements well in advance. Thanks to fellow Team BHPians and the advise on Team BHP, I have been able to minutely prepare well for the trip including sorting out issues with regard to the route, preparing my car, etc.

I drive a WagonR Lxi which I purchased in October 2005. It has run 52,000 kms without a change in battery. I am informed by fellow BHPians that the average lifespan of a battery is about 3-4 years and it is likely that a battery may fail after this period. My OEM battery does not give me any problems and I checked it to find that all technical parameters are perfect. However, given that I will be taking my family on this trip for a whole week, I am concerned that my OEM battery may have completed or perhaps be completing its life span and may do so during the trip. The dilemma that I face is that my service agent (who has been reliable) tells me not to worry and that I do not need to replace the battery. Based on the above, the advise that I seek of you is as follows:

1. Do I need to change my battery before my trip?
2. If yes, what brand do you suggest? The OEM battery is Amaron. I have been advised Exide Matrix or Exide ATB by some, in case of a change.

Thanks in advance for all your advise.

I would change the battery, it has a high chance of failure after almost four years and 52000 kms. You will be most likely changing it anyway within the next two-three months, so why tempt fate? Particularly since you're travelling with family.
I would also change the belts (if they have not been changed at all) and make sure my tyres are all okay.

I don't see any sense in changing the battery just because its x years old. And yours is about 4 years old... batteries have been known to last much longer than that too. I don't know how your battery has been tested, but if all the tests including a load test checks out, I'd not waste money in replacing the battery, if I were you. Remember, even a new battery can fail anytime... nothing is 100% guaranteed.

As for the brand, if you decide on a replacement, just stay away from the likes of Exide and Amco. Amaron and Base Terminal/Panasonic are the ones to go for.

You have mentioned that you have no problems with your battery, then why change it. See I would advise you to I dont understand why are you so concerned about only your battery, I mean there are so many parts that can fail, I think since you came across this issue recently you are being worried, as the saying goes HE who increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow ! enjoy your Ooty trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1492068)
I don't see any sense in changing the battery just because its x years old. And yours is about 4 years old... batteries have been known to last much longer than that too. I don't know how your battery has been tested, but if all the tests including a load test checks out, I'd not waste money in replacing the battery, if I were you. Remember, even a new battery can fail anytime... nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Hi Raccoon,
You are right. Batteries last longer that 4 yrs.. My Indica OEM battery lasted for 52 months and had clocked more than 58000 kms. Everything was fine and suddenly one day the car refused to start. I understood it was time for replacement. Changed to Amaron and everthing was back to normal

Battery replacement is not necessary, just check availability and keep amaron help number handy. they will give you the assurance required. You can also get it checked up at authorized amaron center if available.
Whatever you decide to do like battery change or servicing the car, always do it like a week before a planned trip to avoid human errors created by the service centers.

If your battery is in good condition there shouldnt be an issue as pointed out by your agent. But if you would be mentally satisfied, get it replaced.

OT :D

I dont replace my battery; I just charge it now and then :D

Sojourner,

I think its best you play it safe and replace the battery. My Santro's OEM Exide (Feb 2005) was changed last week after more than four and a half years and 57,000 kms. The main reason for me to change: I'm planning on taking the car on a long trip and don't want any problems.

The cranking especially in the morning had gotten weak over the past couple of months but otherwise the battery was fine and never gave me any problems since I bought the car.

My advice to you will be to change the battery before the trip and get that peace of mind. Do not go for Exide. Amaron, Bosch and Base Terminal would be the order of preference for you.

Enjoy your drive! :)

Cheers,
gpa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourner (Post 1491660)
My OEM battery does not give me any problems and I checked it to find that all technical parameters are perfect. However, given that I will be taking my family on this trip for a whole week, I am concerned that my OEM battery may have completed or perhaps be completing its life span and may do so during the trip.

1. Do I need to change my battery before my trip?
2. If yes, what brand do you suggest? The OEM battery is Amaron. I have been advised Exide Matrix or Exide ATB by some, in case of a change.

Thanks in advance for all your advise.

Sojourner, good you stopped to think about your battery. You've had a lucky run with the OEM (Exide?) and I personally believe a battery with Sb/Ca chemistry (low maintenance, which is probably what you have) will last about 36-40 months on an average in tropical conditions. It can be more or less depending on what punishment it has endured during its lifetime and how you have maintained it.

If I were going on a long distance trip like you are planning, I would replace a 48 month old battery. My 'funda' is that I treat it as a consumable with a finite life and I certainly never wait for it to die on me (it can happen at the most inopportune time as personal experience has shown).

A new 35AH battery will cost about Rs 4,000 and would equate to peace of mind when embarking on a long distance trip. As for the brand go in for Exide (ATB or Matrix) or Amaron Pro or SF Sonic. Amaron is the fav on TBHP. Tata Green is still untested.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 1492824)
A new 35AH battery will cost about Rs 4,000 and would equate to peace of mind when embarking on a long distance trip.

If price is an issue, you can get a base model of Base Terminal :p for much less than that. Maybe around 3,000 approx, IIRC.

I know some will laugh at this suggestion, but I'm mentioning what I did in a similar situation. My 1999 Esteem LX had the OEM Exide battery that gave me no trouble at all till the date I sold it off in Dec 2004 after clocking 1.2L on it.

In the month of August '04 I had to go to Jaipur with family for two days and the same doubts about the battery troubled me. While debating whether to change or not to change the battery, I went to my FNG for a check-up. I mentioned my dilemma to him and he provided me a solution. He called up his battery guy and in a neat cardboard box gave me a service battery. he said that I could use this in the event of a battery failure. The battery guy would charge Rs.100 a day for the battery for the number of days I would keep.

It saved me the blues and I payed Rs.300 after my return that was extended by a day. I didn't have to use the service battery. But for that 300 rupees the peace of mind was worth it.

^^^ Interesting idea. Some battery dealers also keep service batteries. The battery dealer I went for recharging last time charges Rs. 50/day for a service battery. I didn't go for it though... just didn't use the car that day. Personally, I'm not inclined towards all this hassle... if the battery checks out in all tests, I'd stop worrying about it.

Lately, I have been having startup problems with my accent. Have an exide ( OEM ?? ) red top one.

Problem description
When I start the car in the parking lot in the morning and evening, no problem. Cold start works fine.
When I switch off the car during a ride, like at a signal, the car sometimes takes quite a few groaning twists to start. Kinda like those ole Amby starting noises that we grew up with. Warm startup is becoming quite an issue.

Story so far.
Had checked the battery some months ago, when I got a startup problem and the exide guys told me the structure is weak and gravity is low. My mechanic tightened the terminal connections and it seemed fine. I said " ok. till next times. Anyway when the car runs, battery charges plus my music runs fine and the AC also" That was a few months ago.

Today, I went to the Hyundai dealership for a complete checkup before the long drive on the 18th to Rajasthan. With 3500 kms ahead, no pint in taking chances.
The service engineer tells me battery is dead and asks me if he should put in a new exide. I said "no.Hold your horses. let me get it checked with an exide-walla and then let you know."

after reading some more posts on TBHP, i am beginning to realize the following:
1. The problem may not just be battery, could be the starter also.
2. Battery lasts 3-4 years. Mine is around 8 years (assuming OEM??) So definitely replace
3. Go for Amaron/Panasonic/Bosch but not exide.

Would be wonderful what my fellow bhp-ians think and advise me on next steps.

Well, you have got it right... what would you like advise on?

As for batteries lasting 3 - 4 years, this really depends on the battery quality and your pattern of use and your charging system. I would not put a 3 - 4 year life on it, like many do. They can and do last longer and even lesser. The fact that your OEM battery lasted 8 years itself lends credence to my statement. :)

Get your charging system checked before the replacement and go for Amaron / Base Terminal / Panasonic / BOSCH. If you cant find BT/Panasonic, just contact BT thru their website. They may even home deliver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1567402)
Well, you have got it right... what would you like advise on?

As for batteries lasting 3 - 4 years, this really depends on the battery quality and your pattern of use and your charging system. I would not put a 3 - 4 year life on it, like many do. They can and do last longer and even lesser. The fact that your OEM battery lasted 8 years itself lends credence to my statement. :)

Get your charging system checked before the replacement and go for Amaron / Base Terminal / Panasonic / BOSCH. If you cant find BT/Panasonic, just contact BT thru their website. They may even home deliver.

Thanks mate. will check it out.