Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th November 2009, 11:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

I feel this GC & speed breaker scrapping issue is mostly with cars running in Bangalore.
Had a horrid time when i drove down to Bangalore jumped 6 speedbreakers in 2 days
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 13:49   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I feel this GC & speed breaker scrapping issue is mostly with cars running in Bangalore.
Had a horrid time when i drove down to Bangalore jumped 6 speedbreakers in 2 days
Quite true. This is what happened to my car, when it jumped an unmarked "car-breaker" with load. I was also looking at some not-so-expensive solutions to this issue on this thread.

UnderbodyDamage
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 13:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quite true. This is what happened to my car, when it jumped an unmarked "car-breaker" with load. I was also looking at some not-so-expensive solutions to this issue on this thread.

UnderbodyDamage
Damn!
Huge damage there.
AFAIK Most of the car breakers in Bangalore are over-night creations and mostly unmarked. I doubt if we can have any solution for this madness other than driving really slow so that we can stop in time.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 16:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Damn!
Huge damage there.
AFAIK Most of the car breakers in Bangalore are over-night creations and mostly unmarked. I doubt if we can have any solution for this madness other than driving really slow so that we can stop in time.
Bad damage it has caused in your car, bennsb!
Ya, driving slow is the way to go. However, sometimes when you are going fast thinking the road is good, that one unwarned car-breaker can spoil it all for you. hence i was seriously considering the spacer.
In fact, a friend of mine has fitter spacers in the rear on his accent and seems to be really happy with it. He says he has felt no discernable difference in the handling esp. since the spacers are at the back. I guess that would increase the load on the front suspension and tyres though. In such a case, timely rotation of tyres would gain more importance as well.
I checked out the spacer - they are about an inch thick aluminium ring with a radius of around 3 inches which sit on top of the strut spring assembly thereby increasing the height.
harsha.cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 13:04   #35
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,
As discussed on our call, i checked the prices for new shocks for the rear. A brand called excel power or XL power was retailing for Rs. 1500 per piece in Car Automobiles. Hyundai gave me a shock that the cost of shocks in the A.S.S was Rs. 3400 each! I had told you Hyundai spares were shockingly expensive!

Anyway, I am looking for Monroe shocks - apparantly they are manufactured in Hosur by Reknowned Auto Products Manufaturers Limited in association with Tenneco Inc. (the makers of Monroe shocks worldwide). Will seek the distributors and change the shocks anyway since they have done quite some time. Diff mechs are saying diff things on whether the shocks have softened up or not - looks like it is in the grey area.

As you told me, no point servicing the shocks with change of shock up fluid - it will leave me worse off than where i stand!

In the meanwhile if any of you have leads on getting original Monroe shocks for a good price, please let me know. thanks.

Cheers,
Harsha
Old 27th November 2009, 17:13   #36
Team-BHP Support

Which is the Hyundai OE make, get the same from outiside if the the price is more at the dealer. But so much of difference!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Which is the Hyundai OE make, get the same from outiside if the the price is more at the dealer. But so much of difference!
Ya, I am getting Monroe. I think they are the they are the OEM and in any case, they are very reputed. Monroe would cost me around 1225 per piece. They are gas shocks.
I thought I could take my car first to the Hyundai *** and let them decide if the shocks need to be changed. In case they say they do, then i will take the car to a mech and get it done outside. If i change to gas shocks, then i will not bother with the spacers at present and will get them fitted, if needed, in the future. That way, if the trouble can be solved without compromising on the controls, it would be great. If they say shocks are fine and still my car bottoms out, i will go in for spacers.
Anyway, the shocks are 9 years old and change will help.
my mech would gladly buy the old shocks and fit them in old taxi indicas
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very interesting topic

What i would suggest:
  • Higher side profile tire - A one size upsize helps with minimal effect on handling and improves the ride. Though the crispness of handling might suffer, also if the car already has a soft suspension (Hyundai Verna egs) it can further hamper the high speed handling. So in such case either upsize the rims and go for taller but lower profile tires (again one size bigger) if not read below mentioned.
  • Better/Stiffer shock/spring combo - Try an after market shock which will not really sag when loaded. Low speed ride might suffer a bit, but if one opts for reputed brands which has variable/staged damping, this can be controlled.
Also if modifying (stiffer shock) always do it on all four wheels, otherwise it can result in serious handling issues and disasters!

Personally i wont recommend spacers since there are very few shops in India who can execute these jobs well. Most often its just add few inches under the shocks, which will play havoc with cars handling.

Lift kits on the other hand are for specific purpose like offroading/show car etc and will work best in such situation, might not deliver the best results when it comes to normal roads especially at higher speed. Remember the thumb rule; higher the speed = lower C of G.

Its quite normal for suspension parts to age with kms and no of years, so simplest and most straight forward job is to do regular servicing of parts (say every 40k kms) and complete replacement (say at 80-100k kms). Which will do wonders to the car handling and GC.

Last but not least, lil bit of patience and modifying your driving style while approaching speed breakers should help.
Hi Jaggu, at last I found a great thread on which I could post some suspension issues regarding my Scorpio 2004 model ! The beast has done 85K kms. The shocks have'nt been replaced ever, and I feel the ride is a bit bouncy. If you do suggest a change of all the shocks, do you know of any aftermarket shocks for the 2004 model Scorpio (non CRDE), which can reduce the bouncy nature of the ride? Alternatively, I wonder if the shocks of the latest Scorpio models (engineered with the help of Lotus Suspension, I think) can be fitted on my ride? Thanks and cheers !
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:48   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hi mooza,

You will need to check with M&M workshop if the newer model shocks are a direct fit. Also you need to get the vehicle inspected by a competent mechanic to know if the suspenion/shocks are in shape.

Though we have heard of suspension wear and tear on scorpio, shock failures are rarely reported. Yes 85k kms is a good mileage for a check up, especially in our indian condition. Also how old are the tires? Older tires = hard = bouncy ride.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hi mooza,

You will need to check with M&M workshop if the newer model shocks are a direct fit. Also you need to get the vehicle inspected by a competent mechanic to know if the suspenion/shocks are in shape.

Though we have heard of suspension wear and tear on scorpio, shock failures are rarely reported. Yes 85k kms is a good mileage for a check up, especially in our indian condition. Also how old are the tires? Older tires = hard = bouncy ride.
The new gen scorp has much much better suspension. The issue i remember has been detailed on another thread. If you can manage getting the suspension of your the new gen scorp under your beast, it would be great for you.

Hi Jaggu, update on my car, instead of spacers etc. i have bought new monroe gas shocks directly from the distributor. I will get those fitted and that should raise the car by a bit for sure. I will then decide on whether to go for spacers or not, depending on how the result of the new struts are.
Cheers and thanks for your support, friends!
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Agreed that 205/45R/16 is overkill,

However will adding spacers make a difference ? Even if temporary ?
Will the tyres still scrape the wheel arch ?
Dude adding spaces would make the ride scary, I had spacers on my esteem..

Pros:
Good ground clearance
Vehicle looks macho (esteem 185/70/r13 looked real fat)

Cons:
Ride would be harsh and scary
Premature suspension wear out
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Dude adding spaces would make the ride scary, I had spacers on my esteem..

Pros:
Good ground clearance
Vehicle looks macho (esteem 185/70/r13 looked real fat)

Cons:
Ride would be harsh and scary
Premature suspension wear out
Hey Beany,
Thanks for your feedback, buddy.
In your esteem, did you have spacers only at the rear or at the front as well?
I understand that if i add spacers only for the rear suspension, handling will not be compromised. Right or wrong?
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot, Jaggu and Harsha.
I did some bounce checks for the suspension (at standstill). The front part of the Scorpio took longer to settle back (maybe 3 to 4 oscillations). The rear part (when bounced) settled almost instantly. So maybe the front shocks are not damping as well as the rear ones.
Bouncing from the sides revealed rolling oscillations which subsided only after 5 cycles!
I will check up with the best M & M workshops in Bangalore, and try to get the best for the beast. My tyres have run around 40K, so as Jaggu suggested I may need to look into that aspect as well.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:11   #44
BHPian

as for mine, many mechs are telling that my shocks are ok. i do see my car's rear sag a bit. that is the distance between the tyre and the arch is lesser than normal. one mech says it is the issue with the spring and not the struts! and they say that the spacer will raise it a bit.
but i believe that with the spacer, to avoid it being bouncy, new gas struts should ensure that the bounced is dampened well. what say?
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Give it a try, as long as you keep the spacer height within the specs (to compensate for the sag). As i mentioned earlier, it seems the heavy boot has taken its toll on the springs. new springs will definitely help but eventually sag over the years.