Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:39   #1
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 266
Thanked: 151 Times
Default 1964 W110 mercedes benz cluch problem

i had completely restored my car and had just started to use it a few months back.Now, its not a regular driver but a weekend driver.
ok so this morning, just to look cool and get some attention, i decided al drive to work in the old benz and i fired her up and everything sounded rite, all the bangs and knocks were rite n time and I set off. The road is about 50 meters away from my garage so i always keep her in 1st gear and crawl until i enter the road. i got onto the road and when i wanted to shift to 2nd and i disengaged the clutch, something went wrong the clutch just went down in the usual manner but never came back up. But the clutch engaged back by itself in a few seconds. i pulled over quickly to see whats up with the clutch and i had nothin. i had to pull the clutch back to normal position. now, the car was in neutral with the engine running and i have nothin from the pedal and i cant engage into any gear. thank fully i had'nt got too far away from my house so i walked home and got some people to push her back in my house.
now guys, what do u think went wrong. i'm familiar with the term "sticky clutch" but then it does'nt behave like this. this is 'no clutch' atall with the 'sticky clutch'. everytme i push the clutch nothing happens and it stays down.

is it a stuck clutch cylinder/s?
is it a clogged clutch hose?
or what else?

please guys gimmi ur advise and tell me what you think.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,448
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: 1964 W110 mercedes benz cluch problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
i had completely restored my car and had just started to use it a few months back.Now, its not a regular driver but a weekend driver.
ok so this morning, just to look cool and get some attention, i decided al drive to work in the old benz and i fired her up and everything sounded rite, all the bangs and knocks were rite n time and I set off. The road is about 50 meters away from my garage so i always keep her in 1st gear and crawl until i enter the road. i got onto the road and when i wanted to shift to 2nd and i disengaged the clutch, something went wrong the clutch just went down in the usual manner but never came back up. But the clutch engaged back by itself in a few seconds. i pulled over quickly to see whats up with the clutch and i had nothin. i had to pull the clutch back to normal position. now, the car was in neutral with the engine running and i have nothin from the pedal and i cant engage into any gear. thank fully i had'nt got too far away from my house so i walked home and got some people to push her back in my house.
now guys, what do u think went wrong. i'm familiar with the term "sticky clutch" but then it does'nt behave like this. this is 'no clutch' atall with the 'sticky clutch'. everytme i push the clutch nothing happens and it stays down.

is it a stuck clutch cylinder/s?
is it a clogged clutch hose?
or what else?

please guys gimmi ur advise and tell me what you think.
I had a similar issue with my W201 's clutch , I bleeded the clutch with the help of my friend who is a workshop technician at Kuwait and ofcourse some youtube clutch bleeding videos for W201 helped.

The more likely reasons are the one which you have listed above plus the below ones.

air buble / no proper overhaul of the clutch

Can you let me know the current status ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 15:25   #3
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: 1964 W110 mercedes benz cluch problem

Clutch Pedal Staying down is either of the reasons; starting from most easiest

1. The Pedal adjustment /return spring.. oil and check
2. Bleed the entire clutch fluid
3. Check for Oil leakage from Master; If this goes kaput the clutch would stay in..look for wetness near your pedal area, below carpet etc
4. Slave: This will rarely give you this symptom; but worth a check
5. Lastly Clutch release bearing [Very Very Rare]


Other than the above; nothing else..
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 17:13   #4
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 266
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: 1964 W110 mercedes benz cluch problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I had a similar issue with my W201 's clutch , I bleeded the clutch with the help of my friend who is a workshop technician at Kuwait and ofcourse some youtube clutch bleeding videos for W201 helped.

The more likely reasons are the one which you have listed above plus the below ones.

air buble / no proper overhaul of the clutch

Can you let me know the current status ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Clutch Pedal Staying down is either of the reasons; starting from most easiest

1. The Pedal adjustment /return spring.. oil and check
2. Bleed the entire clutch fluid
3. Check for Oil leakage from Master; If this goes kaput the clutch would stay in..look for wetness near your pedal area, below carpet etc
4. Slave: This will rarely give you this symptom; but worth a check
5. Lastly Clutch release bearing [Very Very Rare]


Other than the above; nothing else..
Deepak Menon's point 3 was the exact reason. The clutch master cylinder failed. I couldn't find a replacement master cylinder, i tried the one that came in the w123 but still no hope as the fitment brackets were different.
Finally my mechanic decided to open the master cylinder and analyse the damage, we all knew the seals would be perished as the part itself was about more than a decade old.
Once he got the master cylinder disassembled he noticed the main piston was slightly worn hence the bad clutch, but for some reason he had a smile on his face. I was surprised at his reaction, he then rushed into his office and after about 10 minutes he came back with a similar looking part, it was a part that belonged to the brake slave cylinder of our Hindustan Ambassador. It was a simple piece of rubber that looked like the cap of a coke bottle. He assembled the master cylinder with the new part and bled the system and while bleeding the clutch itself he said its working fine.
Overall parts cost was Rs.50/- and labour was lunch for the mechanic and his apprentice and after I insisted he took 300.
Btw this happened about 4 years ago.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 17:32   #5
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: 1964 W110 mercedes benz cluch problem

Hahah never looked at the date :(:(
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk ITALIANO!! My vespa 1964. chanu Post-War 105 4th July 2017 23:31
Use Cluch or Brake Carafooz Technical Stuff 4 27th January 2013 23:46
1964 Willys CJ3B diesel_maniac 4x4 Vehicles 46 29th August 2010 10:28
1964 Porsche 356C chevelle Beyond Borders 8 31st May 2009 02:14
1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe Stratos The International Automotive Scene 7 30th July 2004 11:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks