Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th September 2009, 17:02   #1
Default Tappet noise correction - leave the car overnight?

Need to fix the tappet noise issue in my Esteem. However, the service centre person tells me to leave that car at the centre in the evening so that the engine will be cold the next morning.

Is it ok if I go there at about 7 am in the morning so that by 10 am the engine would have reasonably well cooled off? Does it need to be ice-cold to fix it?

I cannot leave work early enough though on a Saturday morning, I can reach the service centre by 7 am
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 17:10   #2

Yes, perfectly possible in single day, no need to leave car overnight at service station. Did that for santro last saturday; left car at 8 am and picked it up by 5 pm on same day. And in the same time frame, also completed 30K servicing for santro that included change of all fluids.

Last edited by sukiwa : 25th September 2009 at 17:11.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 17:23   #3

The engine needs 3+ hours to cool down (the actual job just takes 30 minutes).

I'm told that adjusting tappets on a hot engine isn't nearly as precise as when the job is done on a cold engine. But the service manual does specify the clearances for both hot and cold - why don't people set them using the clearance's mentioned for hot engines ?

You could leave it there first thing in the morning and pick it up later the same day.
CrackedHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dont leave the car overnight. Instead, drop the car at around 10 am in the morning so that the car is ready by evening.
To the best of my knowledge, some cars do allow warm engine tappet setting, some allow both cold/warm but most of them have cold engine setting. I came to know about this when I was searching for service guide for Baleno.

The G series engine I think, both G13B and G16B have cold engine tappet setting.
Leaving the car overnight should be done as a last resort.

PS : Correct me if I am wrong in my points of cold and warm engine tappet setting.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote