Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th September 2009, 18:54   #1
BHPian

Default Swift - Claustrophobic or Safe?

Hi,

Many say that swift in claustrophobic for the rear seat guys.
But an acquaintance (who is a car enthu to the extend of owning a Morris, and also has auto garage) says that lesser window area results in a safer car - of course with respect to the fact that the same car would have been bit more unsafe if the window size was more.

Safe during side impact.

Any thoughts?

Do not drag abs, ab etc in this debate. Just stick to the fact that out of the two - swift-with-larger-wins (hyphotetical swift) and current-swift, which would be safer?
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if it makes that much of a difference. The side impact beam does the job, not the extra metal on the doors.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 19:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with McLaren here. The safety factor is the side impact beam. In case of an impact, the windows break down into pieces while the metal gets crumbled. I am don't see how this relates to the safety of the car.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 20:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

And on the other hand, a bigger window would mean more squeeze out area when required...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 06:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

the window size has no relation to safety unless of course the car door locks are jammed and it is on fire and one is trying to get out of it (god forbid)

the side impact beams, rounded designs inside and overall crumple zone design of the suzuki vehicles in general protect consumers from the worst of a crash.

the cockpit cabin styling of the swift in my opinion is rather attractive, resulting in a mean-ish looking sporty car.- i only wish that maruti had the tyres of the Zxi as standard across all variants.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 08:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

You have metal increasing the waistline height of the car. It could be relatively more protective than just having glass in that area.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 10:06   #7
BHPian

How abt virtual safety? I mean less "exposed" area means lesser ogling if you hv gals in the back seat?
Or perhaps the "external" person doesnt get a good view of the stuffs you might have (eg laptop etc) which would be kept on the rear seat.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 23:16   #8
BHPian

Some more metal on sides may improve safety only minutely. Again this is effective for very low intensity side impact. All depends upon the quality of side impact beams and crumple zones. So, a merc or a volvo will be much much better than Swift even if it has less metal. Again the technology plays major part here, not only metal.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 00:31   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

+1 Smaller windows don't make the car safe.

Maybe, I can think of 1 scenario. People throwing bricks at the car, more window, more bricks.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote