Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th July 2014, 21:56   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet

Capt. Slow, thank you for appreciating my work, I try my best to do things the right way. Pretty sure many people do the same here as far as using petroleum based grease is concerned. For example Toyota specifies a Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease, but I have heard that some technicians just apply anti-seize instead.

I guess you could get away with wheel bearing grease when the application is metal to metal, after all the seals in the hub are also made of rubber. But for metal to metal and metal to rubber brake caliper applications, I would still use a synthetic Molly or silicone-based grease.

The tube of sil-glyde is around $6 and the bottle off ceramic extreme is around $18. At first I used some cerami-glyde I had this in packet form - these are available at most auto stores and I usually displayed near the checkout. They cost around $1.50 but if you buy them online you can get them for as cheap as $.50.

The ceramic extreme by Permatex (purple) is a superior product with a much higher temperature rating and that is why you will notice the initial application was blue but I went back and took the calipers apart and use the purple stuff.

I am sure with a little bit of searching you will be able to find a silicone-based grease and decent break lube for the pads/calipers.
Attached Thumbnails
Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet-p1100885.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 10:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Changing the Caliper pin doesn't solve anything, the caliper itself is the problem.
Sir, you are partly right. The annulus's diameter does increase but due to wear, the pin size also reduces. So, a new pin will solve the problem, at least for quite some time.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 01:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
Capt. Slow,

The ceramic extreme by Permatex (purple) is a superior product with a much higher temperature rating and that is why you will notice the initial application was blue but I went back and took the calipers apart and use the purple stuff.

I am sure with a little bit of searching you will be able to find a silicone-based grease and decent break lube for the pads/calipers.
Ray, I was doing some research into the caliper noise and I found a couple of interesting things. ->

1) using a the wrong grease on the calipers/brake system can cause premature failure

2) Some grease/greases can also case the rubber bushing and seals to swell up. (causing the caliper/caliper bushes to fail)
Some cars have a caliper pin bushes. If the pin Bushes swell up then your breaks are going to start making all kind of noises.
If the caliper seals swell up then your brake can fail completely!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-failure.html (Brake Caliper Failure)
Here is one such scenario, back then I did not understand as to how a caliper can fail. But I think this was because of a caliper seal gone bad, *(could be due to bad/wrong grease)?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 19:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Ray, I was doing some research into the caliper noise and I found a couple of interesting things. ->

1) using a the wrong grease on the calipers/brake system can cause premature failure

2) Some grease/greases can also case the rubber bushing and seals to swell up. (causing the caliper/caliper bushes to fail)
Some cars have a caliper pin bushes. If the pin Bushes swell up then your breaks are going to start making all kind of noises.
If the caliper seals swell up then your brake can fail completely!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-failure.html (Brake Caliper Failure)
Here is one such scenario, back then I did not understand as to how a caliper can fail. But I think this was because of a caliper seal gone bad, *(could be due to bad/wrong grease)?
Yup! unless you drive a Dacia Sandero, in which case any grease will do.
Ray32825 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote