Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st October 2009, 16:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

sorry dude but it looks like you just got taken for a solid chukker by the seller.
however, having said that you probably didnt pay top dollar for this old car and it is true that it will develop signs of fatigue and show its age - after all it is 10 years old.

Im equally sure that all these problems can be identified and slowly sorted by a good garage - even a private garage so take the time and trouble to nurse the car back to good health since you've spent the money to buy it in the first place.

and - Enjoy the ride!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 17:31   #17
BHPian

of course the car can be restored. the first thing i'd suggest you do is check engine compression just to make sure that her heart is alright.

if that's ok and you make sure that oil and coolant leakages if any are checked and corrected, do a water pump and timing belt replacement and she should run like good for pretty long with regular oil and coolant changes. also check on the condition of the fuel pump. all other problems would probably prove to be minor niggles.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 18:02   #18
BHPian

I would say have patience. 95K on the odo in India is a lot of mileage and can not be compared to 95K abroad. The sheer amount of wear and tear that a car has to undergo in a country like ours is exponential compared to developed countries. Since you payed a relatively decent amount for the 10 year old car, you can't blame the machine. Yes you should have waited a little more and seen the condition before investing in alloys and the works. Anyway, there is noting that can not be changed, so be ready for a little expensive spares and get it repaired completely once and for all. I believe you are already thinking on those lines.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 20:59   #19
BHPian

Hi Guys!

Thank you all for the replies.

@pramod: You're right about the scenario in Dubai. Mileage usually does not dictate a car's age there like it does here. I'm happy that the car has proven reliabel to you. I like the part where you mentioned 5 redbulls Where do you usually get your car serviced?

I could not go to the service center today. But have decided not to drive it till a full checkup is complete.

The car needs a full refurb, and lots of parts are on the replacement list. A paintjob will follow. I believe for the price I paid, this is the least I could've expected. But touchwood, the engine is running fine.

I spoke to the A.S.S and they suggested a minor service and get a major service done at 100k on the odo. But I've decided to go ahead with the major one right away since I feel its best to start afresh than wait for more surprises to come my way!

I'm having the engine oil, transmission oil, timing belt and other regular replacement components as per the 100k service, replaced. I'm also having a full electrical check done for any earthing issues/leakages. Along with a battery replacement. Somebody suggested I get a battery meant for the diesel version since it should stand the increased load from the ampl and ballasts. Frankly I wasnt aware that ballasts put a high load on the battery.

Is there anything else I should let the service guys have a look at?

Thanks again guys.

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 22:22   #20
BHPian

>> Is there anything else I should let the service guys have a look at?

* refer to my previous post
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 22:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Frankly I wasnt aware that ballasts put a high load on the battery.
They don't. HIDs draw less power than their equivalent halogen bulbs (35w compared to 55w or more) and provide nearly triple the usable light when proper optics are used (projectors or designed for HID reflectors) with much less heat output (higher efficiency).
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 23:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi Guys!

@pramod: Where do you usually get your car serviced?

Tassem.
When in Hyderabad i used to take her to suraksha (local mitsu A S S). I just relocated to kerala 6 months back just got a oil change done outside(not really satisfied) I think A S S is the only best option but best bet is not to let them know you want everyting in order and you just brought the car, there is a fair chance that they might take you for a ride, IMHO these are fleecing techniques where in first they say "sir, its not a big issue can be fixed by tightening the bolt, no need for replacement" . Just get fixed what needs to be fixed, remember she is 10 years old, she can be reliable but not new.

As far as the reliability is concerned, this is what i did, i took my old esteem for non stop long drives for say 200-300KMS, and found out if there were any signs of smallest possible issues, then i was confident enough to take it out on really long drives.

I also had the same gear problems as mentioned by you in my Lancer, it would not go into reverse no matter what, i always used to slot it into the 4th gear, slowly i learned the trick, now its 100% effortless. It takes you at least 10k KMS to befriend each other then she will definitely become extremely dependable.

People have a huge misconception about lancers, mostly because of hearsay, all these people who speak negative about lancers have not owned one/ or even known anyone who has owned one, you have a very rare bread of original Japanese car fully assembled here, it is a gem, almost rattle free, take care of her like a rightful owner and she will take care of you.

IMHO the thread title is little misleading probably u should change it

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 1st October 2009 at 23:05.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:46   #23
BHPian

I just returned here to see how it all started off! Its kind of surreal that this car is a dream to drive now!!

@mods: How can I change the name of the thread to "99 Lancer SLXi - Prelude to a dream."
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:41   #24
BHPian

lancer is good car, its not much costlier in maintenance. My lancer GLXd is also 1999 batch. my odo reading is 4,25,000 kms. I did not have much problems, though i bought it as used one.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 00:02   #25
BANNED

Quote:
I just returned here to see how it all started off! Its kind of surreal that this car is a dream to drive now!!

@mods: How can I change the name of the thread to "99 Lancer SLXi - Prelude to a dream."

Good to know your travails.

Congrats on the fixed car. Wishing you a looooong term happy ownership.

BTW, where do you plan to get the car painted ?

And will you be kind enough in putting up the pics.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 09:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:

That's a great news that the car is in great shape after service. It will really helpful for other owners if you can put up a list of activities done and of course the cost also. It will also help out any one planning to buy a used Lancer to list up things to check during inspection. Also put up pics of your Lancer. Happy revving
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 18:27   #27
BHPian

@rajivanoj: 4,25,000?! Wow! I had no idea these cars were good for that long! Mine has done 101,000 now.

@Pavan: Thanks bro. The car is already painted. Its the same as you saw in my garage. You can find the post on painting here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bangalore.html (Lancer Paint Job - Bangalore)

I'll be clicking more pics hopefully this weekend. I want to get the interiors done up before I go ahead with it though.

@bhp_maniac: Thanks! The car is a dream now. And looks great! There are a couple of pics in the link I provided above.

I had a host of things replaced in the car. Apart from the Alloys, Tyres and Audio Here's a list of things that come to mind immediately. Bear in mind that the list is only indicative of what may be wrong with a used car. I figured that I might as well get it done while at it.

Necessary Service
Full Service with all consumable replaced as below
All Fluids and Filters. (Engine, Transmission, Power Steering, Clutch, Brake etc.)
Clutch Pressure Plates and Master Cylinder
Oil Sump
Rear End Oil Seal
Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends
Linkage Rods – Front and Rear
Stabilizer Bar - Front
Timing Belt
Alternator Belt
Power Steering Belt
Belt Tensioners
All Warning Indicators checked for proper functioning.
Wiper assembly and blades replaced.
Battery
Fuse Box
All around Brake Pads
All Bulbs replaced (They were all working - but just as a precaution)
A/C Serviced (Thermostat Hose Replaced)

Feel Good Service
Full Respray in Jet Black (Metallic Gloss with minimal grain)
3M Treatment
High Security Number Plates
Remote Locking and Security (Xenos with Lifetime warranty)
6000K Ultrabright 6 LED Parking Light
6000K 35W Xenon High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps
3400K 55W Driving Lamps (Stock Location)
20 Spoke Alloys R15
Maxxis MA-Z1 205/50 R15
ART Leather Seats and Full Interior Servicing

I dont have a detailed price breakup unfortunately. But all together it came up to a li'l over a lakh I guess. Thats excluding the Audio Setup. A complete interior redo is planned this month if time permits.

Most lancers wont have so much work. But I wanted the car to feel like new as much as possible and this accomplised that.

Do feel free to ask any questions.

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 4th August 2010 at 18:30. Reason: Removed HTML Tags
Old 4th August 2010, 19:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

What plans do you have for the interiors as you mentioned ? Dash painting Stan seats ? Something like that? I too am interested in getting my interiors done. Do you have interior pics wit you ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:29   #29
BHPian

Prince,

I want to get the entire interiors done. The seat covers are already there. I plan on replacing the entire door panel - I believe this would involve painting a part of it as well. I'm hoping to get the entire dash redone. I will be going for a beige/black combo. I know its cliched But I feel it would look best on the lancer. The roof lining will be in beige.

I'm going to try and get a leather/velvet wrap on the dash near the demister vents. It will be in matt black so that reflections on the windscreen wont be a problem.

Dont have any pics of the interior. But they're stock lancer. There's nothing wrong with the interiors as such and they pretty much look like new. But the door pads have a few scuffs. It appears that the previous owner had stuck something there with cheap adhesives and later removed it.

I'm looking at Stanley and Ceralli for the leather work. A lot of members seem to be leaning towards Stanley. But I'll give both a lookover. The painting work, so far I've seen pics only from KitUp! But a drive to Coimbatore is not on the cards for a while.

Do let me know of your plans.

Thanks!

Tassem.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Cool! I am looking for seat covers and a dash re paint. Possibly a dampening treatment as well. Get yours done fast so that I can take cues
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote