Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 23:27   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 739
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

In Linea, I think you can go for 16" rims and lower profile tyres (55 or 50).
Or even same profile can do (60) ... but you have to see if there's sufficient space in the wheel arches to accomodate the extra radius.

This would raise GC by 10mm or so I believe.
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 00:13   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
even i own a i20 crdi asta o and i want to increase my cars ground clearence. will you please tell me what is the spec of the tyre u have upgraded to and is it causing any other problem such as touching the wheel arches etc.
185/70 R 14 instead of 185/65 R 14.

Zero problems.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th October 2009 at 00:15.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 01:35   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

@AbhiJ

Are you using them? What price did you get for the originals and how much for the new ones?
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:09   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
@AbhiJ

Are you using them? What price did you get for the originals and how much for the new ones?
Yup, using them happily. No issues whatever.

I drive on some insanely bad roads.

I swapped my apollo acceleres with XM1+. Cost around 6k incl. balancing.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th October 2009 at 02:11.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 23:21   #20
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

.
Since you have said that the car would be delivered in a few days, which means that you are not facing the problem with your own car.
Instead you faced this problem in the Test Drive car which you drove.

To get it into the right prospective, I would like to know how many people were sitting in the TD car during the Test-Drive?? And there is always a chance of under inflated tires in the TD cars as they are misused / abused on a daily basis by both the prospective buyers and the showroom drivers. I would suggest then you wait for your car to arrive and then arrive at a conclusion.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 23:36   #21
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default linea ground clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
.
Since you have said that the car would be delivered in a few days, which means that you are not facing the problem with your own car.
Instead you faced this problem in the Test Drive car which you drove.

To get it into the right prospective, I would like to know how many people were sitting in the TD car during the Test-Drive?? And there is always a chance of under inflated tires in the TD cars as they are misused / abused on a daily basis by both the prospective buyers and the showroom drivers. I would suggest then you wait for your car to arrive and then arrive at a conclusion.
i agree with maglev's comment. but i cant understand one thing, why would the company keep the tyres under inflated? as this affects the pickup and breaking ability of the car.

regards
singh
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 03:30   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Singh

I can see you've not mentioned air pressure in tyre at all. What is the air pressure in tyres of the car you had driven?

Reason I'm asking is because I had taken Linea on real bad kinda off-roads which can not even be called roads off Lonavala. There were big stones, very big on the roads. Still Linea never scratched. GC is not great but its also not so bad either. can not see any other reason than Air pressure in tyres & load in the vehicle
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 07:22   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Singh

I can see you've not mentioned air pressure in tyre at all. What is the air pressure in tyres of the car you had driven?

Reason I'm asking is because I had taken Linea on real bad kinda off-roads which can not even be called roads off Lonavala. There were big stones, very big on the roads. Still Linea never scratched. GC is not great but its also not so bad either. can not see any other reason than Air pressure in tyres & load in the vehicle
I would beg to disagree. I have a Punto and I would assume that GC is same for both. On bad roads, the underbelly definitely scrapes, now I know why there is a sump guard. My sump guard already has couple of scratches on it.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 01:51   #24
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
i agree with maglev's comment. but i cant understand one thing, why would the company keep the tyres under inflated? as this affects the pickup and breaking ability of the car.

regards
singh

Veeray,

The company does NOT intend to keep the tires under-inflated but the fact is that since Your Experience is Currently based on the Test Drive vehicle and it is very common for these cars to be driven very very roughly, not only by the showroom drivers but buy the prospective customers who may or may not buy the car. These cars go in for multiple test drives a day, which means that they are being driven hard through out the day and add to this the fact that most people tend to go on for Test Drives with there entire family, the tires are bound to be wrongly inflated and also take into account the dilapidated or weakened state of the suspension system due to the sheer number and extent of test drives taking place in one day.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 11:36   #25
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default linea gc

veeray,
thats soo true, now lets see what the real truth is. getting the car delivered on 15th of this month. lets hope for the best.

regards
singh
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 14:30   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Just remember, if you need to get the tyres swapped. Do it within a day or so of taking delivery of your vehicle... otherwise you ll get poor value for your oem tyres..
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 18:02   #27
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

yea, i would prefer to do that. but i dont think that i'll have to swap the tyres. if i face problem with the GC, then only i'll get the tyres swapped or else the stock tyres are good!!
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 08:14   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

There are a few ways to increase GC..

1. You could go with a bigger sized Rim. I don't know the size of rims on a Linea. If its a 15", you could go for a 16" rim, long as you have a space between your tire and fender. If the space is too small, you will have to stiffen your suspension, but it makes your ride harder. In that case, you probably would not want to head that way
2. Lifting - the amount of lift must take into consideration length of shockers and brakelines, suspension angles etc. Its normally easy to add a 1" lift to your suspension.
3. You could add a tire with a bigger wall.. can be done cheap if you exchange your stock tires in new condition. That will prob add 5mm, although a small increase in GC, helps sometimes.

I have friends who have done some of these on their Jeep Wranglers, so take this with a grain of salt.

Congrats on your new car and happy driving!
pradeepkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 10:25   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Singh Ji, congratulations on your new car!

Like others said, probably test drive car did not have right air pressure. I hope you are not facing any GC issues with your new car. Nothing worse than the sound of a brand new car scraping the speed breakers! If Linea has gc issues in your area, then you should probably be seeing honda civics doing see-saw on the same speedbreakers
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 11:47   #30
BHPian
 
kodivasanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
veeray,
thats soo true, now lets see what the real truth is. getting the car delivered on 15th of this month. lets hope for the best.

regards
singh
How is your car doing and are you facing the low GC issue in your car too?
kodivasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Optimum ground clearance of a Car? & how it is measured... skamb Technical Stuff 84 17th May 2017 22:36
Official ground clearance upgrade package for Linea/Punto @ Rs. 10,000 akshay4587 Technical Stuff 101 1st February 2016 12:40
Raising a Tata Marina's Ground Clearance vivek.singh.73 Modifications & Accessories 27 8th September 2013 21:43
Please Help!!! Ground clearance of Fiat Petra 1.6 gets reduced deepgautam_qa The Indian Car Scene 6 22nd May 2008 12:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks