Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 06:46   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: shenzen
Posts: 154
Thanked: 23 Times
Unhappy Suspension problems Skoda Octavia Combi

hi
i have skoda octavia combi 1.8tsi manuel
is new car 6 months old
i change new shocks koni fsd also change tires from 16 to 17 inches
now will driving in high speeds i get vibration after 120 kmp
but only on smooth and straigh road
so question is what can be wrong are the shocks bad or faulty fitting can anybody help
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 07:47   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ERNAKULAM
Posts: 947
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Its the tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by narry View Post
hi
i have skoda octavia combi 1.8tsi manuel
is new car 6 months old
i change new shocks koni fsd also change tires from 16 to 17 inches
now will driving in high speeds i get vibration after 120 kmp
but only on smooth and straigh road
so question is what can be wrong are the shocks bad or faulty fitting can anybody help
narry

If its even vibrations then the culprit definitely is the new tires that you have bought. Get them checked for very mild bulges in the tread area. You can check this by looking at the tires from the sides when it is is being rotated on the Wheel balancing machine. If you continue with these non uniform tires your Koni's will bite the dust in about 5000km.
By any chance did you buy Goodyear tires which have a propensity for these bulges which make themselves felt at higher speeds. The tires will be replaced under warranty which ever brand you buy as long as you have the bill with you.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd October 2009 at 07:50.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:04   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: shenzen
Posts: 154
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If its even vibrations then the culprit definitely is the new tires that you have bought. Get them checked for very mild bulges in the tread area. You can check this by looking at the tires from the sides when it is is being rotated on the Wheel balancing machine. If you continue with these non uniform tires your Koni's will bite the dust in about 5000km.
By any chance did you buy Goodyear tires which have a propensity for these bulges which make themselves felt at higher speeds. The tires will be replaced under warranty which ever brand you buy as long as you have the bill with you.
hi
thanks but tires are micilen and before i put konis
they were working fine with stock suspension
also i check the tires seems to be fine
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:14   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Get your wheels balanced.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:41   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Get them checked for very mild bulges in the tread area.
Very unlikely a new tyre will have a problem like that. Bulge issue will show up at slower speed too. One doesn't need 120kmph to feel that.
Agree with ImmortalZ. Wheel balance and alignment should sort this out.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:59   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: shenzen
Posts: 154
Thanked: 23 Times
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Very unlikely a new tyre will have a problem like that. Bulge issue will show up at slower speed too. One doesn't need 120kmph to feel that.
Agree with ImmortalZ. Wheel balance and alignment should sort this out.
hi
thank u guys for the advice
i have done wheel alignment twice today
problems is but this problems only occur when i drive above 120km
also there smal vibration in stering wheel and even the seat
is very less vibration is is iritating also
i suspect problems of the shock absorbers
i even went to skoda service station they suspenstion cannot take load of 17 inches tire now for only 2 option left first install origina 16 inches tire and rim or put original shock absorber and test
also i found koni fsd slight less heaver than original shock absobers
i donot what to do more
regards
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 00:27   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Alignment and Balancing are different.

Get you tyres balanced. 90% chances are that you problem will be gone..
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 06:22   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New delhi
Posts: 120
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

I think, it because of the suspension setup.Has your car's suspension stifined up or set to soft?. I have a car, used to have the same problem you had at high speeds, vibration of steering wheel and jolts.I got the suspension of my car stifined up, the problem has been mitigated.
ritedhawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 12:59   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 275
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

In India it was the RS which was sold with 16" wheels, the TPI was sold with 15" wheels. The KONI FSD shocks sold by Methods India are meant for the RS with 16" wheels. (I have them fitted in my RS and they are great). Did you inadvertantly increase the height of your Combi by installing the Koni FSD? Measure the length of the original shocks and the Koni FSD. Bomi.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 14:01   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: shenzen
Posts: 154
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
In India it was the RS which was sold with 16" wheels, the TPI was sold with 15" wheels. The KONI FSD shocks sold by Methods India are meant for the RS with 16" wheels. (I have them fitted in my RS and they are great). Did you inadvertantly increase the height of your Combi by installing the Koni FSD? Measure the length of the original shocks and the Koni FSD. Bomi.
hi
thanks but i have fit 17 inches borbet rim i found the problems i will post the picture here
the rim of 17 inches u can see picture the inside part is plastic
and this make rim fit loose in the wheel hub
any i change my rim to original 16 inches rims
and all is fine now
regards
narry
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension problems Skoda Octavia Combi-20091005007.jpg  

narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:32   #11
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: shenzen
Posts: 154
Thanked: 23 Times
Smile lesson learned

hi
thank all u guy once again for u help
happly divali to all team bhp forum members
will i have learned my lesson some observation
the 17 inchecs borbet rim with micilen tire weight of the wheel is 21.5 kg
the weight of original tire 16 inches with rim is 15kg
so 15minus 21.5kg= 6.5kg
that u multiply 4x 6.5kg = 26kg
of additional weight on the car hub i think is too much and dangerous
mainly because i drive high speeds 160km to 180
no tuner have told me this dissadvantages
unfortunatly i had learn the hard way but is ok
after drive 500km with original rim and tire now i really enjoy my koni fsd
with fsd ride is quite comfortable that original shock absorbers

thanks all again
regards
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:38   #12
BHPian
 
west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: India
Posts: 273
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

All alloys are not bad, borbet is low quality alloy--try goin for light weight alloys in oz, bbs or rays.. I have seen rays wheels @ 4kgs/wheel in 17" ...
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 15:55   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
By any chance did you buy Goodyear tires which have a propensity for these bulges which make themselves felt at higher speeds.
Are Goodyears notorious for bulging? One of the Goodyears on my Cielo had side-bulging, but didn't press for warranty as I didn't have the bill.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ownership Review: Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6L TDI DSG StarrySky Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 45 22nd October 2016 19:54
My L&K Combi Delivery problems! EDIT : Dealer taken to task for forging my signature diffsoft Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 103 27th January 2008 00:42
Skoda Combi v_s_natarajan The Indian Car Scene 45 20th July 2007 00:25
Same price: Skoda Rider 1.8T vs Civic vs Combi RS joejoe Sedans 22 4th December 2006 12:51
Skoda Octavia Combi karthik247 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 3 21st October 2005 08:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks