Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th October 2009, 20:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Wierd Sound - Wheel Bearings, Brakes.....???

Hi guys,

I have a 2005 Swift Vxi. I have already replaced the wheel bearings twice in the 4 years of ownership. The first time was after my tire upgrade from stock to 195/60/R15 in 2006 and the second time recently when I had changed my tires to 205/55/R15. Is it true that the wheel bearings get busted due to the load exerted by wider tires? I know its the wheel bearings as there is this lound humming sound emitted when going above 60kmph.

Now, I drove to Mahabaleshwar last weekend on these busted wheel bearings. Everything was fine except for the noisy drive. However, on my return trip, a new sound has emerged from the front. It is a wierd scruffing/gringing sound which fades away at high speeds but is very prominent at very low speeds. As the weather was rainy and foggy, I was thinking it could be the brakes getting jammed. I have noticed that it does'nt occur when i start my car for the day but starts after the first time I use the brakes and remain throughout the day.

What could this issue be. Is it the brakes or bearings getting worse? I am anyway giving my car for a complete service next week.

Thanks in advance.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 20:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Any inputs?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 21:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Wierd Sound - Wheel Bearings, Brakes.....???

did you manage to get this fixed?
i have the same problem, but its been diagnosed as bearings need replacement, and an axle seal leak, tie rod replaacement....all due to wear and tear over 65k kms.

@Amit_mechengg: oops, i did change my tyres , and went from 175 to 185 just 2-3 k back.Guess the diagnosis is correct then...luckily ford repairs aint as expensive nowadays...

Last edited by mayankk : 16th May 2011 at 21:08.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 21:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Wierd Sound - Wheel Bearings, Brakes.....???

yes the tyre width upgrade takes a toll on the bearings. i too changed mine 2 times till date and again now the sound has creeped in.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote