Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st October 2009, 10:12   #46
BHPian

The wear on the clutch will be more than usual.But not to an extend that your clutch gets fried prematurely.Even in stop and go traffic, there will be clutch wear.But the benefits of engine braking far outweigh the disadvantages.I would definitely recommend it and the wear and tear cost on the clutch is a small price to pay.Your fuel efficiency might improve because a reduction of speed will still keep the vehicle in the sweet spot rpm band.And a gentle tap on the accelerator and an upshift may be all that is required to get back to the speed you are trying to maintain.This saving in fuel efficiency,increased life of brake pads and safety can offset the clutch wear and tear costs.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 21st October 2009 at 10:25.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 10:23   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
while in D the AT free-wheels when the road speed is higher than engine speed.
I never knew that !! Oddly in all the automatics I drove on steep downhills the transmission would keep shifting into higher gears as the car sped up on account of the slope. Invariably one would need to shift into d2 to keep it locked into a slower gear.

In your opinion is this free wheeling function standard on all auto's ?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 11:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

DKG; SGIIT - many thanks for your informative responses. most helpful.

Re the CRV being an SUV, I think if the Outlander can provide paddle shifts wouldn't hurt for the CRV to have them too. The requirement can serve fairly basic purposes as well - but you're right that's probably the only reason one can think of why its omitted.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 12:10   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I never knew that !! Oddly in all the automatics I drove on steep downhills the transmission would keep shifting into higher gears as the car sped up on account of the slope. Invariably one would need to shift into d2 to keep it locked into a slower gear.

In your opinion is this free wheeling function standard on all auto's ?
Yes, as far as I know.

We had a nasty incident many years ago. In Fracnce descending from the Vercours in a hired Peugeot AT, not knowing the drill we kept on using the brakes to slow down. This is a relatively steep descent of ~18km. We got smell from the brakes and then the brakes just faded away. Luckily we were able to go up a slip road and stop. The wheels were red hot. Also, (at least at one time) many AT's in Europe came with uprated brakes as compared with the MT.

Thus from bitter personal experience I can say you must stay in a low setting when descending slopes.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:44   #50
BHPian

sgiitk,

Thats a great and bitter experience though.

Either way, the clutch or the brakes take the load in braking. I think a balanced act between the engine, clutch and brakes is the trick for a nice sweet sounding engine braking.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 23rd October 2009 at 17:48.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 09:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

The ATs in the CR-V, Accord and Civic come with grade logic control. When it senses a hill, descent or ascent, it keeps the car in-gear at an RPM where the clutch is engaged so you get engine braking (descent) and power at the touch of the pedal (ascent).

You do get decent engine braking out of the AT when on a hill descent - I have plenty of experience. But on flat roads you have to rely on the paddles and the CR-V gets the shaft here. Not certain if the City AT has GLC though.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 09:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Either way, the clutch or the brakes take the load in braking. .....
Remember we are talking about AT cars so the clutch does not come into the picture!

In an MT car also it is much safer to use engine braking that the brake.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 21:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember we are talking about AT cars so the clutch does not come into the picture!

In an MT car also it is much safer to use engine braking that the brake.

well sir,

i didn't know AT mind the clutch ! would you mind telling me how an AUTO TRANSMISSION works. I would be very thankful.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 31st October 2009 at 21:19.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 23:21   #54
BHPian

Quick question here about automatics, do the tiptronics and/or paddle shifters in cars like the Civic, Accord etc. let you hold your revs near the redline or will they automatically upshift without your command if you're staying there too long.

I remember once driving a rental 2008 Chevy Malibu, and the transmission in that (in tiptronic mode) would automatically upshift if I was within 10% of the redline for over 5 seconds or so, without me doing anything to it.

It's been a while since I've driven automatics so I was just curious if anything's changed in the last few years or not.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 31st October 2009 at 23:22.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 02:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

I can illustrate re the civic since I own one.

You get two modes: regular D or the Sports S mode.

In the S mode, if you start using the paddles, it'll hold that gear till the redline until you shift up using the paddle. If you slow down / brake however, it does bring the gear down automatically.

In D mode, it'll allow you to partially manage gears when you want but it will automatically upshift / downshift as required.

To the best of my k'ge, most of the tiptronics / paddle shifts on similar cars work the same way. e.g. accord, VW jetta, Skoda Laura etc.

Hope that answers. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Quick question here about automatics, do the tiptronics and/or paddle shifters in cars like the Civic, Accord etc. let you hold your revs near the redline or will they automatically upshift without your command if you're staying there too long.

I remember once driving a rental 2008 Chevy Malibu, and the transmission in that (in tiptronic mode) would automatically upshift if I was within 10% of the redline for over 5 seconds or so, without me doing anything to it.

It's been a while since I've driven automatics so I was just curious if anything's changed in the last few years or not.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote