Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 03:59   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 62
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Please tell me in detail about your driving habits, road conditions, etc. etc.
I use it just for driving to work so I can rate all the different critera very good I think.
I drive the car without AC on german roads which have a good condition.

30% Highway at moderate speed. Sometimes I push the Alto at highspeed. Real 171 km/h (checked by GPS) was the highest I reach. Speedo was at itīs end at 180km/h. I think this is only possible in the 4th gear. The 5th wouldnīt work.

30% roads outside cities.
40% roads in cities

Of course you could not compare this with traffic in Delhi.

Please note that Maruti/Suzuki declared an average mileage of 20,4 (combined cycle) for the 1.1 Alto in Germany. So I think my value is OK.
DeOetelaar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 09:53   #167
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
I use it just for driving to work so I can rate all the different critera very good I think.
I drive the car without AC on german roads which have a good condition.

30% Highway at moderate speed. Sometimes I push the Alto at highspeed. Real 171 km/h (checked by GPS) was the highest I reach. Speedo was at itīs end at 180km/h. I think this is only possible in the 4th gear. The 5th wouldnīt work.

30% roads outside cities.
40% roads in cities

Of course you could not compare this with traffic in Delhi.

Please note that Maruti/Suzuki declared an average mileage of 20,4 (combined cycle) for the 1.1 Alto in Germany. So I think my value is OK.
Alrite.. Thanks a lot!! I am really sure that there is no way we can compare these to the driving conditions and roads that torture us in India.

Although on that note, I cannot be complaining too much about my current FE. I think that considering all sorts of factors, my figures are quite good for a 1.1. Thanks a lot to all the people who have replied in this thread, it has really cleared a lot of doubts off my mind.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 7th November 2011 at 09:55.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 15:31   #168
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 921
Thanked: 304 Times
Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
The Part number is much helpful. With this number I found belts from Contitech and Gates. Do you also have the number of the Kit (Belt and tighener together) ?
Hi DeOetelaar, here's the relevant page from the parts catalog.

The part number for the tensioner is 12810M76G10.

Name:  F10D_TimingBelt_0.JPG
Views: 5105
Size:  240.6 KB

I hope this was helpful...
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 09:53   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 900
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi DeOetelaar, here's the relevant page from the parts catalog.
Thanks so much im_srini. Any idea where to get the parts catalog for Alto 800cc (printed or online)?
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 20:02   #170
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,423
Thanked: 1,910 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

^^^
Buy from Maruti. It is a priced item. And if not in stock, can be ordered.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 12:21   #171
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 921
Thanked: 304 Times
Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Any idea where to get the parts catalog for Alto 800cc (printed or online)?
Hi John, the part number for the Alto parts catalog is 99000M24120313 & costs around Rs.220 - the catalog covers both the F8D (RF308) & the F10D (RF410) Altos. I guess the most recent parts catalog should cover the K10 also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Buy from Maruti. It is a priced item. And if not in stock, can be ordered.
Thanks Sutripta, yes, you can try getting it over the counter from your local Maruti service center. Sometimes, service centers may refuse to accommodate over-the-counter sales, in which case you could also try your local auto-parts store. This is where I got mine from:

Susee Auto Spares
(044) 2598-6516, 2598-6491, & 2598-7437
susee.wh.chennai@gmail.com
susee.wh.chennai@suseegroup.com

They are an authorized distributor for Maruti Genuine Spares (in TN).
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 14:48   #172
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,423
Thanked: 1,910 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

^^^
One can buy shop manuals also. Only one of two companies in India who have this attitude. (Any wonder I'm a Maruti fan!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 21:53   #173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 62
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi DeOetelaar, here's the relevant page from the parts catalog.

The part number for the tensioner is 12810M76G10.

I hope this was helpful...
Hi im_srini, yes that was VERY helpful. Thank you!
It allures me to change it by myself. It looks quite simple.
Is the change of the gasket also easy like this?
DeOetelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 18:34   #174
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 921
Thanked: 304 Times
Smile Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
It allures me to change it by myself. It looks quite simple.
It's a 2 to 3 hour job, you need to remove the front bumper, the crankshaft pulley, the A/C compressor, & an engine mount to get to the timing belt. Do let me know if you'd like the procedure from the service manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
Is the change of the gasket also easy like this?
Do you mean the cylinder head gasket ?
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 20:26   #175
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 88
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Hi Guys,

Got my car serviced and repaired and seems to be fine now. It was the engine mounting. You guys were spot on. Thanks for the pointers. And rust was a big let down as well. :-(

Anyways the vibrations are gone now, so I am happy happy again.

Link to my previous post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2529004 (Alto Issues)
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 04:25   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 62
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
It's a 2 to 3 hour job, you need to remove the front bumper, the crankshaft pulley, the A/C compressor, & an engine mount to get to the timing belt. Do let me know if you'd like the procedure from the service manual.



Do you mean the cylinder head gasket ?
Hi im_srini,
talked to my brother in law who also convinced me to do it and with his help.
Yes the parts from the service manual would be very helpful. Would be great if you could upload a scan.
Yes I mean the cylinder head gasket which has to be renewed.
Just the labour for that would be over 20.000 Rs here which is also in Germany very much.
Thanks
DeOetelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 19:46   #177
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 921
Thanked: 304 Times
Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
Yes the parts from the service manual would be very helpful. Would be great if you could upload a scan.
Hi DeOetelaar, here's the timing belt change procedure from the service manual...

Name:  F10D_TimingBelt_00.JPG
Views: 14815
Size:  235.7 KB

Name:  F10D_TimingBelt_01.JPG
Views: 5218
Size:  359.9 KB

Alto Issues-f10d_timingbelt_02.jpg

Alto Issues-f10d_timingbelt_03.jpg

Name:  F10D_TimingBelt_04.JPG
Views: 6251
Size:  335.9 KB

Alto Issues-f10d_timingbelt_05.jpg

Alto Issues-f10d_timingbelt_06.jpg
im_srini is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 19:56   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,591
Thanked: 1,164 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Guys,
My parent's Alto makes a screeching sound every time I start the engine. This sound lasts for 3-4 seconds if I start the car after a sufficient amount of time (e.g. first time in the morning), but if I re-start the car while driving, it is much shorter, yet the sound is present.

Planning to take it to a garage tomorrow, but anyone have any idea on this?
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 20:28   #179
BHPian
 
anky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 393
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Mostly fan belt making the noise cheap fix .
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 20:47   #180
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 921
Thanked: 304 Times
Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
My parent's Alto makes a screeching sound every time I start the engine. This sound lasts for 3-4 seconds if I start the car after a sufficient amount of time (e.g. first time in the morning), but if I re-start the car while driving, it is much shorter, yet the sound is present.
Hi Ninjatalli, yes, Anky is right. In the case of the Alto the screech is the water-pump & alternator belt (the belt labelled 2 in the last image above). Ensure proper tension of the belt, tightening it is a 2-minute job, any garage should be able to do it.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues With Alto Steering S.I.N.G.H Technical Stuff 9 24th January 2012 15:42
Alto LXI - 2700 kms and some issues travelwriter Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 14th December 2011 11:17
Alto : Engine Oil Light stays on. And some other issues abhibh Technical Stuff 33 18th September 2011 22:07
Issues with Headers - Alto Knight Rider Technical Stuff 9 13th September 2007 15:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:20.

Copyright Đ2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks