Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th March 2012, 16:10   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Its 5300 on the odo. The tak-tak noise is not continuous. It goes like this- I turn, almost one rotation of the steering, tak, close to two rotations of the steering, tak, nearly three, again tak. Left or right, whenever I turn I hear this sound.
Correct me if I am wrong - your "Tak" comes once every revolution of the steering wheel.

Seems that there is a protrusion on the steering shaft, which is touching something, once every revolution. May be a loose/protruding bolt on the shaft, or may be that some piece has lodged it self near the steering universal joint.

What ever it is get it checked ASAP at MASS. If it is a bolt working loose, it may finally fall out leaving the steering free!
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:19   #302
BHPian

Air Conditioner issues:
My Alto has done nearly 30,000 kms now and is over 3 years old. The issue I am facing is on the AC front. After a long time (around two and a half months), I started using the AC again.

The AC doesn't cool at all. Instead, whenever I switch it on, I hear a very prominent bubbling sound coming from under the hood. I faced the same issue around March last year as well. At that time, the service centre sup said that this could be a leak in the AC duct causing loss of gas. He topped the gas and since then, it was working perfectly.

Now, the same issue has cropped up again. Is there something seriously wrong with the AC unit as a whole? Can anyone help me out on this and also if it is going to be too expensive to rectify?

Thanks
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 17:53   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post

The AC doesn't cool at all. Instead, whenever I switch it on, I hear a very prominent bubbling sound coming from under the hood. I faced the same issue around March last year as well. At that time, the service centre sup said that this could be a leak in the AC duct causing loss of gas. He topped the gas and since then, it was working perfectly.
Seems like it has lost the refrigerant gas. Also ask the guy to check the cooling coil and piping for leaks. It should not happen if you had got it done last year.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 14:32   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If it is a bolt working loose, it may finally fall out leaving the steering free!
This is scaring me. I'm getting it checked right away. The problem should be something like you mentioned. Will keep you posted! Thanks.
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 11:49   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Seems like it has lost the refrigerant gas. Also ask the guy to check the cooling coil and piping for leaks. It should not happen if you had got it done last year.
Thanks, KKVaidya. I shall have this checked.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 18:43   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Are you also saying that the sound is coming both ways - left and right turn.?

I am ruling out the major suspect in this case, the drive shaft.

The car is practically new so i suppose its in warranty. So visit your nearest service center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong - your "Tak" comes once every revolution of the steering wheel.

Seems that there is a protrusion on the steering shaft, which is touching something, once every revolution. May be a loose/protruding bolt on the shaft, or may be that some piece has lodged it self near the steering universal joint.

What ever it is get it checked ASAP at MASS. If it is a bolt working loose, it may finally fall out leaving the steering free!
Took my K10 to the Maruti Service Masters (MSM), at Guindy, Chennai yesterday. The 'tak tak' noise had become more frequent with each turn and the problem was so frightening me. The SA spent some time with the car and the technician to find the cause of this problem. Here's the thing:

Whenever the steering is turned, the tierod pushes the knuckle which turns the wheel. The shock absorbers bolted to the knuckle experience twisting during this action and the springs coil up and down depending on left/right turn. So when turned left, the springs on the left coil up whereas that on the right coil down. To support this up/down movement, there are rubber bushes to cushion this action placed at the point where the strut is mounted onto the chassis frame in the engine bay. I was totally surprised to see this action of one strut going up and the other coming down during steering because I've never before noticed it. The SA asked me if I fitted my aftermarket horn outside and told that the aftermarket guy while fitting the horn bracket has removed the strut bolts and had not fitted them back properly. After a course of time, the bushes offering cushioning and slight movement of the shocks has misaligned leading to the noise arising from the left shock whenever it tends to move up or coil down. So whenever the left shock tried to move upon steering, the improper cushioning resulted in 'tak tak' noise from the strut. The noise was felt as vibrations right from damper to knuckle. Had I not taken it to the service station soon, the SA said the issue would have grown big. Replacement of the left strut rubber bush was the only cost which was also covered under warranty .

I only realised on my way back home that the whole repair has spoilt the alignment and the car was pulling to the left. It took the alignment guys not only the alignment job but also rotation of the tires in various iterations to make the car go in a straight line with the steering straight . The whole concept of alignment suddenly felt like a rocket science to me! Sigh! I began to wonder whether it is only me or every car lover would have sleepless nights for even very small niggles. Well, for us they are not just cars.
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 12:34   #307
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone let know how much it will cost for diffrential oil change. As per service manual its to be done at 20K KM's servicing. However, when I gave my Alto for service last time odometer was showing around 19K Kms. When I checked with SA he said its not needed now. My car has crossed around 23K Kms and next service is due in another 1.5 ~ 2 months. Was thinking will get it done next time for sure.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 12:57   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I began to wonder whether it is only me or every car lover would have sleepless nights for even very small niggles. Well, for us they are not just cars.
Dear Vijay: The sleepless nights due to niggling problems are common with BHPians.
By the way, you catch that guy who installed the horn and at least brief him the damage he has done. That would stop that moron from not using that "technique" on other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Can anyone let know how much it will cost for diffrential oil change. As per service manual its to be done at 20K KM's servicing. However, when I gave my Alto for service last time odometer was showing around 19K Kms. When I checked with SA he said its not needed now. My car has crossed around 23K Kms and next service is due in another 1.5 ~ 2 months. Was thinking will get it done next time for sure.
Differential oil HAS to be changed after 20,000 kms. Cost would be around Rs. 650/- inclusive of oil & labour. Pl. get it done in your next service.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 18:11   #309
BHPian

Not sure if this is a little OT, but there is a issue mentioned at the end of the post that I am concerned about.

Today I took my 8 year old Alto for a major service at 68k, which included Engine Decarbonising, Throttle Body cleaning, radiator flush, all fluids replacement, brake bleeding, clutch adjustment. Also switched to synthetic oil, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. Must say the difference is immense, although I am not sure whether this attributes solely to the new oil or is due to all the other procedures as well.

Anyways, the points to mention are better throttle response, better clutch handling, and the shifting makes me truly happy. Driving on roads that I travel on regularly, I can clearly spot the difference that I am almost always driving in one gear higher than I am used to, even in moderate traffic. In 3rd, 4th and 5th, the car pulls much better from lower speeds. Also, I am used to shifting up just before 2k RPM, but now I am able to do so at a lesser RPM. Overall, really happy.

The issue that I am concerned about is, while they did decarb and throttle body cleaning, they removed the entire air filter assembly and ran the engine without it for the whole duration. Not only that, after the process was completed, they did not put it back. They idled the engine for considerable amounts of time while doing brake bleeding, radiator flush, engine tuning etc. I was standing there all the while and pointed this out to the technician more than once, but he told me that it was alright since the car really wasn't out running on the road. My guess is, the engine must have run (at a standstill) without the air filter for clearly over 30-40 mins.

I don't know if what he said is correct, and am concerned about dust getting into my engine. Kindly advice me whether my concern is genuine. Should I just accept what he says, or was he wrong and I might consider seeking a clarification from Maruti regarding this issue. Thanks.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 18:39   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
The issue that I am concerned about is, while they did decarb and throttle body cleaning, they removed the entire air filter assembly and ran the engine without it for the whole duration. Not only that, after the process was completed, they did not put it back. They idled the engine for considerable amounts of time while doing brake bleeding, radiator flush, engine tuning etc.
My question is whether a decarb was essential at 68K. Is this the machine assisted decarb where some kind of decarb fluid is injected through the air intake.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 18:46   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
My question is whether a decarb was essential at 68K. Is this the machine assisted decarb where some kind of decarb fluid is injected through the air intake.
Yes, the very same. Except that it is injected through the fuel intake, not the air intake. At least that's what it looked like, hope I am not mistaken.

Of late I could figure out a considerable drop in performance, hence decided to get a decarb done. I think it has made a difference.
Old 14th May 2012, 19:03   #312
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if this is a little OT, but there is a issue mentioned at the end of the post that I am concerned about.

I don't know if what he said is correct, and am concerned about dust getting into my engine. Kindly advice me whether my concern is genuine. Should I just accept what he says, or was he wrong and I might consider seeking a clarification from Maruti regarding this issue. Thanks.
Being an Alto owner myself, I am glad that you are enjoying your car. The Alto is a great VFM buy and I have reaped the benefits over the past four years now.

Coming to your query, you do not have to worry about anything. This is a standard procedure followed during a throttle body cleaning with the throttle body still attached to the car. The duration for which it was run seem a tad long for me though.

The best method is when the entire throttle body is disassembled and manually cleaned by hand. The results are far better. Take a look at my LTO thread and I have posted some pics of the process when I did it at the 40k kms mark. The next time suggest a manual cleaning.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 19:23   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Coming to your query, you do not have to worry about anything. This is a standard procedure followed during a throttle body cleaning with the throttle body still attached to the car. The duration for which it was run seem a tad long for me though.

The best method is when the entire throttle body is disassembled and manually cleaned by hand. The results are far better. Take a look at my LTO thread and I have posted some pics of the process when I did it at the 40k kms mark. The next time suggest a manual cleaning.

Cheers,
gpa
Thanks. That makes me feel relaxed now.
The duration I mentioned wasn't only for the throttle cleaning. It was inclusive of everything, throttle body cleaning, brake bleeding, radiator flush, etc. That way it was fine I guess?

And thanks for the suggestion about cleaning by hand. I shall insist on it next time, althought I guess that won't be before 1 lac km now..
Old 14th May 2012, 21:05   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I shall insist on it next time, althought I guess that won't be before 1 lac km now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The best method is when the entire throttle body is disassembled and manually cleaned by hand. The results are far better.
Usually the throttle body manual cleaning is done at 10K intervals and this costs only around Rs 300 at MASS and lesser at other garages.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 17:59   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Also switched to synthetic oil, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. Must say the difference is immense, although I am not sure whether this attributes solely to the new oil or is due to all the other procedures as well.
The difference is obviously because of the other procedures and not due to the oil change. Changing to a synthetic oil will hardly make a noticeable difference in performance.
Your engine running without an air filter will not make much of a damage if that is for 40-50 minutes in a stationery condition. Its only on the road that dust is kick-up and sucked by the intake. Minor dust (present in atmosphere) would stick to the oil and get filtered by the oil filter. And if the oil has been changed after that, no major worries.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote