Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 09:58   #316
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Peace of mind disturbed again!!

After having gotten back my Alto 1.1 from service two days back, I just happened to check the engine oil level on my car today morning, and found it a bit low, considering the fact that it has just been filled. It was closer to the lower mark, little below half of the level between the two marks. This was rather unusual, and I called up the service station to ask about this.

To my horror, they said they have filled 2.7L of oil , which is normal for the Alto. However, mine being a VXi 1.1, actually needs 3.7L, if I am not wrong. I still have the can of oil with me, with over 1L remaining, so I can top it up. My concern is whether this has caused any real damage to my engine, although the car hasn't run much since the service, max 30 km. But now I am worried whether they have done the same on a previous service as well, without me noticing the same.

Any pointers on what I should check for, and what steps I may take?

Last edited by swarnava.m : 16th May 2012 at 09:59.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 10:26   #317
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,412
Thanked: 858 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

^^ No, you don't have to check for anything! If the level was anywhere between minimum and maximum on the dip stick, you are fine! Just top-up till the upper mark with fresh oil.

But take the workshop chaps to task!

Edit: Add oil in small increments of 100 ML, checking the level every time. Stop exactly when the upper mark is reached, though this will be a little difficult. A few mm above the upper mark will be just fine. If you overshoot too much, some oil will have to be removed at the workshop.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th May 2012 at 10:31.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 12:05   #318
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,730
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
My concern is whether this has caused any real damage to my engine, although the car hasn't run much since the service, max 30 km. Any pointers on what I should check for, and what steps I may take? please.
Since the oil was between the upper and lower limits on the dipstick, it is unlikely that you need to worry about engine damage since you have only covered 30 kms or so.

However, filling in 2.7 liters of oil instead of the specified amount is a glaring oversight on part of the M.A.S.S and you should take this up with the Works Manager there.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 13:11   #319
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

I have already spoken to the Works Manager, and given him a good piece of my mind. He refused profusely, but came up with the most unprofessional excuse!

"Sir, since your car is quite rare, some of the mechanics are not even conscious about a 1.1L Alto. It does not occur to them, even though they are aware of it. Hence whenever they see an Alto, they automatically assume it to be the 800cc model and fill in 2.7L."

True, but being service engineers, they just cannot be ignorant about this fact!! I wonder if any other customer with a 1.1L has gone there for service, and the same may have happened with him. Since not many people are that particular about small details and take the MASS's word for it, what are the chances that he will even be aware of it???
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 09:12   #320
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 622
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
True, but being service engineers, they just cannot be ignorant about this fact!! I wonder if any other customer with a 1.1L has gone there for service, and the same may have happened with him. Since not many people are that particular about small details and take the MASS's word for it, what are the chances that he will even be aware of it???
Take my advice - Change your workshop. Going to an authorized workshop does not always guarantee 100% work as per the SOP.
Find a good workshop and stick to it
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 13:09   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,412
Thanked: 858 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

@Swarnava

The car is so rare the freshly trained mechanics are unaware of it. But still, before delivery their supervisor should check and ensure the oil is at full level. There is no excuse for that.

Don't worry, the oil level can be anywhere between the two levels and the car will be just fine. Filling till the upper level is simply a measure of abundant caution.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 11:53   #322
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 62
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

No matter if these mechanics are fresh trained or not. I think it´s a standard process to check the dip stick after filling in the oil. Should be a basic in training.
Wasn´t the mechanic wondering that the engine looks a bit different compared to the usual Altos? (+1 cylinder)
DeOetelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:59   #323
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@Swarnava

The car is so rare the freshly trained mechanics are unaware of it. But still, before delivery their supervisor should check and ensure the oil is at full level. There is no excuse for that.

Don't worry, the oil level can be anywhere between the two levels and the car will be just fine. Filling till the upper level is simply a measure of abundant caution.
Yes, thanks for that info. Anyways I have put in another litre, in increments of 100ml, as you had recommended, and now the oil level is exactly at the upper limit. My car is perfect again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
Wasn´t the mechanic wondering that the engine looks a bit different compared to the usual Altos? (+1 cylinder)
Haha!! He probably thought it was a WagonR engine transplanted or something.. Or maybe he didn't even notice the extra cylinder, and just wondered why on earth I have put in 4 plugs instead of three..
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 15:00   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,294
Thanked: 1,689 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
It was closer to the lower mark, little below half of the level between the two marks. This was rather unusual, and I called up the service station to ask about this. But now I am worried whether they have done the same on a previous service as well, without me noticing the same. Any pointers on what I should check for, and what steps I may take?
As long as the oil level do not drop below the safe lower level marking, there is no cause to be concerned of. Regarding your query on the last oil fil,l now we can hope that the level has not dropped below the low level mark in the dip stick any time. If the engine is fine and is not consuming oil rest assured that nothing happened.
My advice is to check the oil level at least once a month if not weekly. Checking all liquids occasionally has to be made a practice and also the floor below the vehicle where it is parked usually.
But the matter remains that you need to look elsewhere for your service and maintenance hereinafter.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 19:27   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,412
Thanked: 858 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

I have noticed a latest problem with the fuel gauge of my Alto after the last refill. I always fill up to the brim. The indicator will show F till about 80 KM or so, and then start gradually moving down.

But his time it stayed at the F mark till 200 KM and then only started moving. Now at 260 KM, it is mid way between half and full marks. Normally by this time it would be at the half mark or lower. What could be the reason?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 19:46   #326
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,730
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have noticed a latest problem with the fuel gauge of my Alto after the last refill. I always fill up to the brim. The indicator will show F till about 80 KM or so, and then start gradually moving down.

But his time it stayed at the F mark till 200 KM and then only started moving. Now at 260 KM, it is mid way between half and full marks. Normally by this time it would be at the half mark or lower. What could be the reason?
A faulty fuel float indicator could be the problem. As the fuel level lowers in the car, the float also changes position which is picked up by and translated back to the fuel gauge read-out in the instrument panel. If the indicator system of the float does not pick up the signal of the changing float, then you will experience what you currently are with your car.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 21:06   #327
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,089
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have noticed a latest problem with the fuel gauge of my Alto after the last refill. I always fill up to the brim. The indicator will show F till about 80 KM or so, and then start gradually moving down.

But his time it stayed at the F mark till 200 KM and then only started moving. Now at 260 KM, it is mid way between half and full marks. Normally by this time it would be at the half mark or lower. What could be the reason?
For all you know, your Alto is responding to enhanced petrol cost by going frugal

Jokes apart, the float could be a problem. The only way to be sure is to carry a can of petrol (in case the fuel runs out), and wait till the gauge shows half tank, and then tank up. Depending on how much you fill the diagnosis is

. 15L (Half tank) - your Alto has really become frugal, gauge is OK.
. 30L (Full tank) - the float/sensor is defective. Get it changed ASAP.
. Around 20L, the experiment has to be carried on till the tank now empties as you may be consuming less fuel.

By the way, at its best the Alto can give 25km/L translating to 750km+, so 250km will be one third tank! This is assuming 30L capacity before reserve. At 25km/L, 35L will give nearly 900km to a tank full.

Last edited by Aroy : 24th June 2012 at 21:10.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 21:29   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,412
Thanked: 858 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For all you know, your Alto is responding to enhanced petrol cost by going frugal
Ha ha! But surely not that frugal. I obtain 25+ KMPL only when I do the "Gansan patented mileage test", not replicable in real life! The best I get otherwise is 21 - 22 KMPL on the highway and 12 - 16 KMPL in city depending on traffic!

I will safely wait till the 350 KM mark and do one refill. Then do a 300 KM round highway trip. That should give me an idea.

Will it be necessary to empty the fuel tank before changing the float?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 15:59   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,089
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ha ha! But surely not that frugal. I obtain 25+ KMPL only when I do the "Gansan patented mileage test", not replicable in real life! The best I get otherwise is 21 - 22 KMPL on the highway and 12 - 16 KMPL in city depending on traffic!

I will safely wait till the 350 KM mark and do one refill. Then do a 300 KM round highway trip. That should give me an idea.

Will it be necessary to empty the fuel tank before changing the float?
Depends on how float is fixed. In older cars, the float would be on a plate bolted on top of the tank, so you just unscrewed the plate and accessed the float.

Any way, now a days with sky rocketing petrol prices, the workshops always pour the petrol to a can before undertaking any repairs on the tank. Just ensure that either you or the work shop has a big enough can to hold all the petrol - I would take a couple of 5L cans with me to the work shop.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:31   #330
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,419
Thanked: 1,908 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But his time it stayed at the F mark till 200 KM and then only started moving.
...
What could be the reason?
Hi,
Is the temp gauge Ok, or overreading? If so, the instrument panel voltage regulator.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues With Alto Steering S.I.N.G.H Technical Stuff 9 24th January 2012 15:42
Alto LXI - 2700 kms and some issues travelwriter Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 14th December 2011 11:17
Alto : Engine Oil Light stays on. And some other issues abhibh Technical Stuff 33 18th September 2011 22:07
Issues with Headers - Alto Knight Rider Technical Stuff 9 13th September 2007 15:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks