Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2012, 10:06   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

It is a scam, and that has already been brought up in another thread. Thank god you did not agree to replace the alternator then and there itself. Else you would have been conned badly. How suspicious for the person to flag you down right near a mechanic shop and then get the same mechanic to 'help' you out.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 10:17   #392
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
... I am asking this also because I smelt something fishy. A passer by seeing sparks, coincidentally a garage right where I stopped, coincidentally finding a mechanic at 9pm and then that guy saying it was a Rs.4000 job.
This has all the makings of a con-job in progress. Please search the forum for other such incidents, which did not have a happy ending, as it did in your case.

Also, it is safer to have your car checked at the MASS anyways.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 10:45   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^A scam, without doubt....wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It is a scam, ... 'help' you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This has all the makings of a con-job...MASS anyways.
Thanks for the response, guys.

I sensed that something was wrong. It was a fact that I had left my phone back at the office. I just made up that I had forgotten my wallet also. In fact, just before I left, he said "at least give me something for labour." I just offered him a pat on the back.

However, I am still unable to figure out why the sparking happened. Could it be a normal occurence? Last evening, the traffic was so bad that of the 18km drive, I drove around 12kms in the 1st and 2nd gear only. It usually takes an hour but yesterday took a total of 2 and a quarter hours.

I am not all that confident that MASS staff will be honest. I have faced situations earlier where even the service advisor at Mohan Motors (MASS, Calcutta) tried to con me into replacing the battery.

Hope someone can throw some light here.

Travelwriter
PS: Is Fort Point MASS in Bombay good and reliable?
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 10:55   #394
Senior - BHPian

Did you see the sparks yourself? If not then do not worry. Next, regarding MASS, make them plug the car into the diagnostics and give you a printed report. That costs less then 200 bucks AFAIK. This report will give the entire condition of the car, including alternator and battery performance. By that, you can know if there is something wrong.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 12:39   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hope this helps...

The headlight itself:

Attachment 976877

Aiming procedure:

Attachment 976876

At 96K, your Alto's timing belt is indeed due for a change.

Part number for the belt is 12761N84410 & costs around Rs.860.
@ im_srin: Thanks for your response. Do you think it will be prudent to take it to a local mechanic or self proclaimed MASS outlet for this job. Which as shared/read requires good infrastructure for the sync.
Kindly share your views/experience.
The Consultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 13:36   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Did you see the sparks yourself?..there is something wrong.
Yes, audioholic. I saw the sparks myself. That is why I was keen in understanding the reason. I take your point and will have an MASS do the diagnostics. Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 14:50   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took the car to MSM to attend the fuel gauge. During my highway trip to Pondicherry and back, the indicator moved just a fraction below full. But when I topped up upon return, car took in nearly 15 litres. The I observed it during city usage. For 200 KM it hardly budged from full, then gradually started moving down. After 355 KM on the odo, it was almost half way. This had never happened before. I was getting uneasy that I may get stranded somewhere at some point. Because from my experience, though the highway mileage was never below 21, the city mileage could vary from 12 to 17 and one could never predict it.

They first checked the meter and it was found to be ok. Earthing was also ok. So the tank was taken down and the float unit opened. I peered inside the opening and saw that the tank was nearly half full!

The technician said things seemed to be ok, but the sensor unit may be acting up. He asked whether it can be replaced. Having opened so much, I did not want to take a chance and told him to go ahead, so they replaced it. After this, the gauge now shows a couple of notches below half mark.

The total bill was Rs 1380.00.

But while working, they stupidly kept the removed sending unit on the back seat, so now the cabin reeks of petrol. Have to live with it for a few days, it seems.

The petrol seems to have dripped on to the right side rear passenger foot area, and soaked in to the floor mat.

I took the car to them on Sunday when they vaccumed the particular area in the floor carpet, then cleaned it and the underside of the rubber mat with foam. The petrol smell persists, though somewhat reduced. I was worried whether the top of the petrol tank, after replacing the float, was improperly sealed and the fumes are escaping inside the cabin through any hole in the floor; but the technician informs there is absolutely no chance of this happening. He told me to drive around for a few days with the windows open. And also to leave them open while parking the car. But as the car is parked OTS, that is out of the question.

There is no petrol smell outside the car, only on the inside.

Any suggestions to get rid of this smell are welcome. I do have a perfume bottle inside, but it barely registers!

Can someone tell me how to get rid of this smell?

Last edited by Gansan : 29th August 2012 at 14:53.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 16:12   #398
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The petrol seems to have dripped on to the right side rear passenger foot area, and soaked in to the floor mat. Any suggestions to get rid of this smell are welcome. I do have a perfume bottle inside, but it barely registers! Can someone tell me how to get rid of this smell?
Gansan,

I would suggest you remove the entire carpet and leave it out in the sun for a few days. It is slightly cumbersome to remove the entire floor carpet in the Alto as it is held down at many points and will entail removal of pieces of trim as well, but this is the only way to completely remove the smell of petrol from inside the cabin.

I once accidentally spilled an entire flask of coffee inside the car and the smell of milk persisted for a few weeks until I removed the carpet, washed it with detergent and let it dry in the sun for about a week.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 18:56   #399
BHPian

Smile Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Consultant View Post
Do you think it will be prudent to take it to a local mechanic or self proclaimed MASS outlet for this job. Which as shared/read requires good infrastructure for the sync.
Hi, changing the timing belt is a rather involved procedure, but can be carried out in half-a-day or so. You can find the procedure in this (Alto Issues) post. You do not need any special tools for this job, but it would certainly help if the service guys know their stuff. The timing belt is critical for correct operation of the engine so care must be taken during its installation (especially with respect to alignment marks & such).
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 15:59   #400
BHPian

Post monsoon update: My Alto tail light is gone for a toss. Only one is working.

Can someone please suggest a good workshop / MASS in Bombay? I went to Sai Service in Lower Parel (a bunch of thieves) and Fort Point (not satisfied; incomplete jobs). I need some good workshop to get repair work done. I live in Ghatkopar area and anything around would help.

Can someone advice on good workshops / service centres?

Travelwriter
Old 12th September 2012, 20:06   #401
BHPian

My alto's fuel meter acts funny and has a mind of its own. One day there will be three bars and next day, only one. Then, while driving, one bar will again show up, only to disappear later. I asked the MASS but they say there is no problem. Any solutions?
superlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 16:11   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlux View Post
My alto's fuel meter acts funny and has a mind of its own. One day there will be three bars and next day, only one. Then, while driving, one bar will again show up, only to disappear later. I asked the MASS but they say there is no problem. Any solutions?
The meter bars in my K10 also dither. I have noticed that the vertical gradient changes the number of bars at the change over point. So if at 60km the bar is supposed to change from 10 to 9, it will keep oscillating between 9 and to for the next 10 km if you change the vertical stance. The same holds true at every change over point.

I think that the float to which the sensor is connected is at one end of the tank, so change in gradient changes the level, hence change in reading.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 19:07   #403
BHPian

Even I have the same problem with the gradients but even without that, the bars do vary. I am thinking of getting the float replaced under warranty.
superlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 09:42   #404

Hi folks
I bought an Alto KI in the third week of June 2012. I have a problem with the clutch.

Sometimes when I depress the clutch while shifting gears, the cars revs on its own even as as my other foot is off the accelerator. Is this what is called clutch 'Slipping'? Sorry, my Technical awareness is not all that good.

I must mention here that I got teh clutch play adjusted recently at Garuda Maruti service centre.

Can you please help me out here?
optimystic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 15:34   #405
BHPian

is there any website which gives item wise price of Maruti Alto spare parts? I tried the Maruti official website but couldn't find it there. If someone has any info around this, please share it