Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th September 2012, 15:41   #406
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
is there any website which gives item wise price of Maruti Alto spare parts?
There is an excel sheet posted by some member in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sold-here.html (Spare Part Price List of cars that are sold here) had viewed it couple of weeks back. Unable to locate it now, please browse through the same and you will find it.
Else you can post the specific part about which you need detail in the same link.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 16:35   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimystic01 View Post
Hi folks
I bought an Alto KI in the third week of June 2012. I have a problem with the clutch.

Sometimes when I depress the clutch while shifting gears, the cars revs on its own even as as my other foot is off the accelerator. Is this what is called clutch 'Slipping'? Sorry, my Technical awareness is not all that good.

I must mention here that I got teh clutch play adjusted recently at Garuda Maruti service centre.

Can you please help me out here?
I am not quite sure what the cause of the issue might be, but as per my knowledge, that is not clutch slipping.

Clutch slipping can be detected by the following symptoms:
  • Your vehicle starts to have poor FE
  • You need to downshift more often when going up a hill or incline.
  • You have to press harder to use the clutch.
  • Your engine starts revving when you put the car into motion (from a stop) or when you start accelerating.
  • The clutch can’t be adjusted to provide pedal “freedom” or slack (also called pedal "free play").
  • The clutch feels stiff and needs more pressure.

Do you have any of these symptoms?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 16:42   #408
BHPian

Hi all,

Any idea when the brake pedal feels hard? Something like a small round stone feel.
This does not happen always. But heavy braking is one scenario where it is common.

Thanks,
Supratik
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 11:03   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I am not quite sure what the cause of the issue might be, but as per my knowledge, that is not clutch slipping.

Clutch slipping can be detected by the following symptoms:
  • Your vehicle starts to have poor FE
  • You need to downshift more often when going up a hill or incline.
  • You have to press harder to use the clutch.
  • Your engine starts revving when you put the car into motion (from a stop) or when you start accelerating.
  • The clutch can’t be adjusted to provide pedal “freedom” or slack (also called pedal "free play").
  • The clutch feels stiff and needs more pressure.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
Hi Swarnava

I don't have any of those symptoms. Not sure what the problem is.

Regards
optimystic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 11:14   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Any idea when the brake pedal feels hard? Something like a small round stone feel.
This does not happen always. But heavy braking is one scenario where it is common.
Brake pedal feels hard only when the engine is switched off. Please get it checked immediately if it is happening otherwise. It can be dangerous.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 17:41   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimystic01 View Post
Hi Swarnava

I don't have any of those symptoms. Not sure what the problem is.

Regards
Not able to decipher what might be causing this. However, what I can suggest is that you perform an ECU reset. Might work and remove the problem. Won't hurt if if it doesn't work.

Disconnect both battery terminals for 30-45 minutes, and connect them back. The car might behave a little weird when you drive it first after the ECU reset, because the car is learning the new values. Will settle down in some time.

Do update on how it goes.. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Brake pedal feels hard only when the engine is switched off. Please get it checked immediately if it is happening otherwise. It can be dangerous.
Completely agree with this. It won't be a pretty picture if suddenly the brake stiffens up and turns non-responsive in the middle of the road. Please treat this matter as critical and get it rectified at the earliest. Tow your car if you must.
Old 19th September 2012, 17:50   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The meter bars in my K10 also dither. I have noticed that the vertical gradient changes the number of bars at the change over point. So if at 60km the bar is supposed to change from 10 to 9, it will keep oscillating between 9 and to for the next 10 km if you change the vertical stance. The same holds true at every change over point.

I think that the float to which the sensor is connected is at one end of the tank, so change in gradient changes the level, hence change in reading.
Even I have observed this problem in my alto.
I assume that the fuel level measurement system is an electronic (Capacitive) or electrical type and it does not show up real time values of fuel level. During motion the fuel slosh leads to the float giving multiple level readings to the sensor. These level values stored in terms of voltages are sent to the ECU which will correlate the voltage spectrum and then displays the average value from the spectrum which is displayed as bars on the digital meter.

May be this is the reason why we see the bars missing and suddenly showing up.

I don’t think there is a need to replace any parts on the fuel gauge system. Cheaper systems will always have some flaw in them. .
A special damping unit in the system might solve this issue.
UB_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 17:19   #413
BHPian

I'm having a strange problem with the clutch. Of late, the clutch is not what it used to be. On engaging the clutch, without throttle the pull is noticeably lesser than before. Also, the FE has gone down by some margin (all other causes like engine oil, filter, spark plugs, tyres, etc. ruled out). Also, at times while starting from rest there is a minor judder. So I wanted to diagnose whether there is clutch slippage.

I put the car in 3rd, and slowly started releasing the clutch pedal. Not much jerk, the car takes off slowly but steadily. Engine does not stall, and after some time it operates at normal RPM. According to many websites and some posts on this forum, this is supposed to indicate a clutch failure.

However, while coming out of the garage in reverse, I can reverse in the driveway, through the gate and onto the street just by releasing the clutch, with absolutely no throttle input. This operation seems to be normal.

So, is my clutch slipping or not?

I am taking the car for service tomorrow morning. What do I need to tell the mech?
Old 25th September 2012, 10:50   #414
Senior - BHPian

^^ Iam also facing the same issue since past few weeks.
Thinking of getting it checked with service center next month. Guess its a weak clutch issue. My car had done 30K till now, out of which 15K was done by previous owner who used to stay in Wayanad (read hilly terrain), so I guess there is a good chance of clutch getting weak by now if the vehicle was not used properly before.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 11:03   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
So, is my clutch slipping or not?

I am taking the car for service tomorrow morning. What do I need to tell the mech?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ Iam also facing the same issue since past few weeks.
Thinking of getting it checked with service center next month. Guess its a weak clutch issue. My car had done 30K till now, out of which 15K was done by previous owner who used to stay in Wayanad (read hilly terrain), so I guess there is a good chance of clutch getting weak by now if the vehicle was not used properly before.
The infamous clutch issue it could be. Have them check the clutch plate flywheel for uneven wear and if the car is under warranty have them replace it.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 13:37   #416
BHPian

The car completes 9 years next month, so definitely warranty is out of question.

I took it to the workshop today, and the guy took a trial and said that the clutch is definitely on the weaker side, but at the moment a replacement is not required. He adjusted the cable, and the response seems to be have improved. Let me see for some days. In case I still find it dissatisfying, I shall have the entire assembly replaced.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:13   #417
BHPian

I have something similar in my Alto. The car shudders little at the beginning of a run and the FE has dropped a little.
Took the car to the W/S and they said it's all fine, just in my head.

Waiting for a weekday when the car's free to take it to a different W/S.
negativeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 14:50   #418
Senior - BHPian

Can any one tell whats the life of clutch / accelarator cables for Alto?
Old 6th November 2012, 15:00   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Can any one tell whats the life of clutch / accelarator cables for Alto?
Clutch can last for a lakh kms if you do not ride the clutch. There can't be any hard and fast rule for the clutch overhaul. But the point of importance is that do not get trapped in any clutch scam by mechanics.
The accelerator cable can be inspected during periodic checkups and needs to be replaced if any abnormality is experienced in between. It is definitely safe to change once in 4 or 5 years, if your usage is around 12K kms per year.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th November 2012 at 15:28.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 15:35   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The accelerator cable can be inspected during periodic checkups and needs to be replaced if any abnormality is experienced in between. It is definitely safe to change once in 4 or 5 years, if your usage is around 12K kms per year.
Yes, mechanics as such are bit lazy to check those. I had asked the same during last check and he was saying some story about lasting more and all. My car is nearing 35K kms and next service is due at 40. Was thinking if to change or not, ie why asked. Guess better to get it changed.