Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:11   #571
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,612 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
was always between 2.5k-3k when I was maintaining a constant speed of about 85-90km/hr. Is this normal? I thought cruising on the open road at that speed in 5th would be more in the range of 2k or so. In the city the car drove just as I am used to and speeds were matching the approximate RPM in each respective gear. Shifts were perfectly normal.

Can someone clarify if this is completely normal or something to worry about?
The RPM is very normal for an Alto. Many bigger and more powerful car engines rotate at about 2-2.5K per minute @ 100KMPH, since the gear set up made for the purpose of long hauls.

Since the Alto is just an 800CC car, it may not develop enough grunt for 5th gear at city speeds (like about 50-60KMPH); had the 5th gear been taller than what it is now (to suppress RPM below 2.5K).

So, its the combination of the engine power output and the gearbox ratios which decide the RPM of the engine at specific speeds. Also, Alto primarily is aimed at being a city car and has a gear set up more suited to city driving (and be more fuel efficient at those speeds) rather than long hauls. Hope this clears your confusion.

Another FM registered 100KMPH @ around 3K RPM: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ctures-41.html

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:47   #572
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The RPM is very normal for an Alto. Many bigger and more powerful car engines rotate at about 2-2.5K per minute @ 100KMPH, since the gear set up made for the purpose of long hauls.

Since the Alto is just an 800CC car, it may not develop enough grunt for 5th gear at city speeds (like about 50-60KMPH); had the 5th gear been taller than what it is now (to suppress RPM below 2.5K).

So, its the combination of the engine power output and the gearbox ratios which decide the RPM of the engine at specific speeds. Also, Alto primarily is aimed at being a city car and has a gear set up more suited to city driving (and be more fuel efficient at those speeds) rather than long hauls. Hope this clears your confusion.

Another FM registered 100KMPH @ around 3K RPM: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ctures-41.html

Regards,
Saket
Thanks. That pretty much clears up the air I guess. Just for clarification, it is the F10D Alto (1.1L) not 800. I don't think that would make too much difference with respect to the explanation given by you which should still hold true.

As far as FE goes, all these days with very sedate driving in the city and semi urban stretches I have been getting 15-16 km/l. Yesterday's trip at 2.5-3k throughout has delivered an amazing 21+. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:07   #573
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Sorry for back to back posts, I forgot to mention one point. While I was driving on the Mumbai Pune EWay (which has cement blocks as the surface, not tar), at a very relaxed cruise of 100km/hr, I could feel distinct vibration and harshness in the ride quality. While I was driving in a perfectly straight line at constant speed, I could feel that the ride was not smooth at all. It is tough to explain this in exact words, but overall I could see that the car was vibrating very noticeably. I did not observe this on the other highways (tarred), but I may have simply ignored the same phenomenon if it was to a lesser extent.

What are the things I need to check for this? Engine mounts, suspension bushes come to mind. What else?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:33   #574
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,612 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
What are the things I need to check for this? Engine mounts, suspension bushes come to mind. What else?
1. Wheel Balancing: If they are out of balance, vibrations are felt in a particular speed range, say about 80-100KMPH. It may be merely noticeable if the speeds are not in a particular band.

2. Also, since your car has been kept parked at a spot for many months (according to last few post of yours), it is possible for the tyres to develop a flat spot. This is the area which was in contact of ground whilst the car was parked all this while. This can also produce vibrations.

3. Last but not the least, get the CV joints, ball joints, steering rods and arms of your car checked. Basically the suspension & steering system. When these parts worn out, you experience vibrations which are apparent at high speeds.
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:39   #575
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
1. Wheel Balancing: If they are out of balance, vibrations are felt in a particular speed range, say about 80-100KMPH. It may be merely noticeable if the speeds are not in a particular band.
Ruled out. Wheel balancing and alignment was done a day before the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
2. Also, since your car has been kept parked at a spot for many months (according to last few post of yours), it is possible for the tyres to develop a flat spot. This is the area which was in contact of ground whilst the car was parked all this while. This can also produce vibrations.
This is possible though it was completely stationary for about 4-5 weeks. My dad used to take it out for short spins before that. Would flat spots develop in this time period? If yes, how to spot them and how to rectify them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
3. Last but not the least, get the CV joints, ball joints, steering rods and arms of your car checked. Basically the suspension & steering system. When these parts worn out, you experience vibrations which are apparent at high speeds.
This is what I also suspect. I have found a decent MASS very close to my place, and will be taking the car soon to get it inspected. Anyways suspension has been up for an overhaul, might as well get that done. Thanks for the advice.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:52   #576
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,612 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
This is possible though it was completely stationary for about 4-5 weeks. My dad used to take it out for short spins before that. Would flat spots develop in this time period? If yes, how to spot them and how to rectify them?

This is what I also suspect. I have found a decent MASS very close to my place, and will be taking the car soon to get it inspected. Anyways suspension has been up for an overhaul, might as well get that done. Thanks for the advice.
Many 'softer' spots disappear after the tyres get warmed up after a few kms of driving, but if they are severe or permanent, unfortunately, they cannot be rectified. To avoid flat spots, one can over-inflate the tyres while parking the vehicle for long. The risk is less on radials though.

If the suspension job is due, this can most likely be the problem. Worn out joints develop sort of play, which in turn induces vibrations. Also the lower arms which take a lot of beating on bad roads can get out of shape and hence need replacement. Thankfully, these parts are not expensive for Alto.
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 20:25   #577
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: shimla
Posts: 236
Thanked: 240 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

My friend had an accident last week in his 2007 alto. He drove over a big stone lying on the road which caused some damage to the car gearbox casing. The left half of the gearbox casing developed a crack and had to be replaced. The car was working fine but now for the past two days he is facing problems in engaging 4th gear and has been skipping it and moving on straight to 5th gear. what could be the problem?
bullrun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 12:08   #578
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,612 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
he is facing problems in engaging 4th gear and has been skipping it and moving on straight to 5th gear. what could be the problem?
Surely, since the gearbox was injured a few days ago, there is a possibility that it is the culprit. However, give a shot to the linkages and rubber bushes under the gear lever. Often, such problems are solved by lubricating and repairing the linkages and the bushes.
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 18:39   #579
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: shimla
Posts: 236
Thanked: 240 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Surely, since the gearbox was injured a few days ago, there is a possibility that it is the culprit. However, give a shot to the linkages and rubber bushes under the gear lever. Often, such problems are solved by lubricating and repairing the linkages and the bushes.
It was indeed the gearbox. MASS personnel had to open it up again. I dont know the exact details of the repair yet but they say its working fine now. We will pick up the car tomorrow.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 10:16   #580
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,612 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Great. Do update us when you come to know what was the issue with the gearbox.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:40   #581
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,414
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

My Alto's fuel gauge was acting up - showing almost full when the tank was almost half empty - and the sending unit was replaced in August'12. I figured it must have gone kaput due to my habit of always filling to the brim, though the SA said it can't be the reason. Thereafter I was filling only till auto cut-off.

After a long time, last week I once again adopted the "shake and fill till the brim" method just once for an outstation trip. The trip was cancelled, but the gauge has immediately started acting up again. Even 200 KM after full tank, it still shows full! I guess the sending unit has gone kaput again!

I don't know what the filling habit has got to do with this. I have filled all my bikes like this for ages and nothing like this ever happened.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:07   #582
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 623
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't know what the filling habit has got to do with this. I have filled all my bikes like this for ages and nothing like this ever happened.
I feel the quality of fuel sender in Alto is inferior. Even I had to change the sender as the needle had settled down. The unit costs around Rs. 850 to 900

Last edited by KkVaidya : 3rd April 2014 at 14:08.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 10:37   #583
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 698
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

My uncle's alto got into some strange trouble. The car has done 48000 kms and regularly serviced. Recently when they traveled from Chennai-Bangalore mid way the car broke down with smoke from engine bay. They contacted vellore service center and they helped with refilling oil.

But on the way the same thing happened twice again and everytime they had to fill in oil and were filling oil frequently till they reached bangalore. Now the Smartcars service guy from Bangalore said there is a crack in engine head and also some mix between water and oil due to leakage. Estimated repair costs 40k.

Has anyone had some similar experience? This seems to be a major quality problem and should Maruti not own some part of the cost to customer? Any views?

Also how to escalate this high up in the Maruti service department?
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 15:28   #584
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 62
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Hello!

My Alto FF is after reliable 10 years shortly before the 200tkm border.
But more and more issues are coming up so that I have to consider to drop it. But it would be a pity...
At the last 2 years check the engineer of the testing authority praised the simple and reliable construction of the Alto which is very efficient also. Well this guy checks many different cars every day. I think he knows what he is talking about.

As actual issue I have trouble with the brakes.
Suddenly the brake pedal has too much tolerance/range till the brake will work. I think there are some possibilities within the brake system what this could be. (Main) brake cylinder? Is there a fault common for the Alto FF?

Regards
Frank
DeOetelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 16:00   #585
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 62
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Alto Issues

Hi!

A new issue is coming up in my Alto 1.1 .... actually it runs not fluently and it feels like only 3 cylinders are working. The engine light (mil) is on.
As I checked the engine I notice an unplugged cable hanging around....
I guess this will be the reason for this issue. But where I have to plug it in?
Very strange... I took a photo. The cable is between the drivebelt box and cylinder head you see the end of the cable at the left side of the photo. Could somebody check where it has to be plugged in?
Attached Thumbnails
Alto Issues-img189.jpg  

DeOetelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues With Alto Steering S.I.N.G.H Technical Stuff 9 24th January 2012 15:42
Alto LXI - 2700 kms and some issues travelwriter Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 14th December 2011 11:17
Alto : Engine Oil Light stays on. And some other issues abhibh Technical Stuff 33 18th September 2011 22:07
Issues with Headers - Alto Knight Rider Technical Stuff 9 13th September 2007 15:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks