Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th July 2014, 19:10   #601
BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

My Alto Lxi drum brake at the rear left is heating up, probably due to stuck brake pad. The service center (without even opening the brake drum) is insisting on a brake cylinder replacement.
1. Could it be an issue with the self-adjuster or return spring or cable?
2. Is there an adjuster that can be loosened (by me) without opening the drum to check what's wrong (something like the clutch cable adjuster)?
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 20:54   #602
BHPian

Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
My Alto Lxi drum brake at the rear left is heating up, probably due to stuck brake pad.
The service center (without even opening the brake drum) is insisting on a brake cylinder replacement.
1. Could it be an issue with the self-adjuster or return spring or cable ?
2. Is there an adjuster that can be loosened (by me) without opening the drum to check what's wrong (something like the clutch cable adjuster) ?
Hi Jino,
The rear brakes are acted upon by 2 elements:
A) The regular hydraulic system
B) The Parking brake, which is via cables
The rear brakes binding up is a common issue, particularly during monsoons & on prolonged Parking brake use.
The Parking brake does have an adjustment, this is usually how the Parking brake play is adjusted.
Any road-side garage should be able to do this for you.
You could also have this issue if the return spring is weak or corroded.
There is a small inspection hole at the rear of the brake drum's backing plate, but it's small & is meant to check the thickness of the brake lining only.
Wheel cylinders do occassionally leak, they cost around Rs. 700, per side.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:31   #603
Senior - BHPian

@ im_srini

Can you tell me what part is this?

"Cons (PET) Part no. 90900M11889"

I recently serviced my Alto at MSM and found this in the bill. Can't make out what it is. Was charged Rs 104.80 for it!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 01:06   #604
BHPian

Question Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can you tell me what part is this?
Hi Gansan,
I'm sorry, I'm unable to find this part-number in the MGP spreadsheet.
Either the part-number is incorrect, or more likely, the part is new.
In general, M11 refers to common parts like clips, hoses, clamps, o-rings, grommets, etc.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:58   #605
BHPian

Default Alto issues

Hi all,

I recently got my Alto LXI serviced. The car has done 52000 kms and is over 5 years old.

Everything was fine with the car till I visited Sai Services Lower Parel in Bombay. I asked for regular servicing and nothing else.

The problem is that now the power has gone down and so has the mileage. I used to get around 470 kms for a tankfull and now it is less than 400.

I had asked for oil change but the service advisor said it wasn't necessary. The last oil change was at 45k kms and about 8 months back.

The other problem is that there is a constant sound coming from the steering column. The sound resembles the one produced when your car would go over badly laid out rumble strips.

I was told by the SA that it is due to the steering column. Another person, my brother's driver also said it could be an issue.

Need help in understanding what the problem could be and serious it is.

Finally, the clutch. Nothing wrong with it; just slightly hard. Should I get it replaced right away or wait for another 5K kms?
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 18:09   #606
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Alto issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I recently got my Alto LXI serviced. The car has done 52000 kms and is over 5 years old.
Hi Travelwriter,
Your Alto and its issues are identical to mine. I too own a five year old Alto with 53K on ODO. Just completed the service few days back.

Power issue: Have you changed the air filter recently, a clogged air filter can be a reason for loss of power and mileage. Do change it if it is old, you can yourself check the condition of the same.

Clutch: There is another reason for drop in mileage, which can be due to clutch slippage. However from your post I understand that clutch has become hard but not slipping.
In my case, clutch has definitely become harder. However there is no slippage, hence I have not changed the clutch till now. Had changed the cable and oiled the pedals. It is much better now.

Oil change: Yes, service interval is 10K so I guess no need to change it now. Also, do remember to check when last you had changed gear oil.

Suspension sound: It can be due to varied issues, infact I was getting it due to three issues.
1.Suspension lower arm (Rs.750) rubbing against the body.
2. Break caliper loose, it is a recurring issue.
3. Steering column issue.
First two issues are fixed for me, however the steering issue is still present. It is not that bad, hence I am thinking of getting it rectified only in next service. To confirm if this is the issue while in standstill just turn steering left or right suddenly, you may get the katkat sound.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 12:21   #607
BHPian

Quote:
The other problem is that there is a constant sound coming from the steering column. The sound resembles the one produced when your car would go over badly laid out rumble strips.
99% should be the brake caliper. Suspension is quite tough on the Alto.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 26th July 2014 at 12:24.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 13:10   #608
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other problem is that there is a constant sound coming from the steering column. The sound resembles the one produced when your car would go over badly laid out rumble strips. I was told by the SA that it is due to the steering column.
This rumbling/clanking noise from the steering column is a issue with the steering column and not anything else. I have a similar problem in my Alto.

This is caused when one of the links of the collapsible steering column gives way (or collapses) due to a front-end shunt. I had a minor shunt on my Alto and since then this sound comes up occasionally. My SA told me there is no other solution apart from changing the steering column and till that this is something that I can live with.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 22:27   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can you tell me what part is this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Gansan,
I'm sorry, I'm unable to find this part-number in the MGP spreadsheet.
Either the part-number is incorrect, or more likely, the part is new.
In general, M11 refers to common parts like clips, hoses, clamps, o-rings, grommets, etc.
Hello Gansan,

Was at an MGP Store (Authorised MGP Exclusive Outlet - Susee Auto Spares (Chennai)) near my home to order a few parts for my Alto.

Asked them to check the part number you'd mentioned.

The part number had the same description you'd quoted [ Cons (PET) ] & nothing else.

Even the store guys could not identify the part, however it was listed under the category "Miscellaneous Other Parts".

Also, the price listed was Rs. 0.00 - which I was told meant that the part, whatever it was, is no longer distributed by Maruti.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:20   #610
BHPian

Of late, I have had a drivability problem with my car. The engine has started jerking and missing, with random splutters. While driving, there would be frequent power loss. While idling, it would not be able to maintain a steady RPM and would often stall.

On saturday I gave it to a mechanic, and today he tells me that the ignition coils are the problem. He mentioned that there are two ignition coils in the car, where one has failed and the other is malfunctioning.

I am not well aware of the functioning and details of the ignition coil. When I searched about this problem online, I came across various posts where people have mentioned very similar symptoms for ignition coil failure. Hence the problem reported by the mechanic looks genuine to me. However, nowhere did I find a mention of multiple ignition coils. The closest that I came to was the specification of primary and secondary coils, which I am aware of. Is this what the mechanic meant? Also, he mentioned that out of the 2 coils, each runs 2 cylinders. If the coils are primary and secondary, then this seems unlikely. It would be great if someone can provide some clarity on this.

Apart from this, what I am concerned about is what causes ignition coils to fail. Is it simply age of the car (the car is close to 11 years old)? Could it be due to a short somewhere in the circuit? Alternator malfunction?

Finally, it would be helpful if someone can give details about the price of the ignition coil for Alto.

Thanks in advance.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 20:31   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
The engine had started jerking and missing, with random splutters.
I gave it to a mechanic, and today he tells me that the ignition coils are the problem.
I'm assuming your Alto is a Vx or Vxi ( with the 4-cylinder F10D engine ) since your mechanic has mentioned two ignition coils.
The "ignition coil" in the Vx is called a DDLI unit - for Dual-DistributorLess-Ignition Unit.
As your mechanic has mentioned, the engine has two such DDLI units, with each unit "sparking" two cylinders.

Cross-posting from a post (Alto Issues) from a couple of years ago...

Towards the end of the post you can see the pic of a DDLI coil & also pics of the same from the Alto Parts-Catalog.

On the other hand, if your Alto is an Lx or Lxi ( with the 3-cylinder F8D engine ), it will have a traditional ignition coil.

Quote:
Apart from this, what I am concerned about is what causes ignition coils to fail.
Is it simply age of the car ( the car is close to 11 years old ) ?
I had to replace the DDLI coils in my Alto a few years ago because the plastic housing of one the units had cracked.
Sparks were "leaking" from the housing to the valve-cover.

Quote:
Finally, it would be helpful if someone can give details about the price of the ignition coil for Alto.
I think the price of each DDLI coil is around Rs. 1,850.

Ensure it's the coils which are faulty & not anything else, the chances of both coils developing issues at the same time is quite rare.

Last edited by im_srini : 4th August 2014 at 20:34.
im_srini is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 22:20   #612
BHPian

Quote:
I'm assuming your Alto is a Vx or Vxi ( with the 4-cylinder F10D engine ) since your mechanic has mentioned two ignition coils.
The "ignition coil" in the Vx is called a DDLI unit - for Dual-DistributorLess-Ignition Unit.

Ensure it's the coils which are faulty & not anything else, the chances of both coils developing issues at the same time is quite rare.
Thanks srini, that really clears up the air in this regard.

As you have mentioned, I asked the mechanic the same thing. I was suspecting some fault in the circuit, which I have asked him to check. Will update the thread soon.

Any method/process by which I can ensure the rest of the circuit is doing fine?
Old 6th August 2014, 14:33   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Any method/process by which I can ensure the rest of the circuit is doing fine ?
Hello Swarnava,
Good question, honestly I do not have a straightforward answer
I guess you could try measuring the continuity, resistance, impedance, etc. of the coil.
However, I'm not sure if there's a procedure for the same & what values are considered valid ( don't have the Service-Manual with me currently ).

In my case, the outer casing of the DDLI coil had tiny hairline cracks ( like you see with hard-plastics left out in the Sun for a long time ).
When working on my car at night one day, I noticed sparking ( really tiny ) between the coil & the valve-cover.
Went ahead & changed out both DDLI coils although I really hadn't noticed anything amiss with my Alto's performance.
That said, it did result in slightly better idling.

You could also have your mechanic check the state of the spark-plugs & the fuel-filter.
Even a single bad tank of fuel can clog your fuel-filter & cause hesitation ( particularly when accelerating hard ).

Another issue I have had was with after-market I.C.E.
I had to remove the I.C.E for an upgrade & suddenly my car started acting as if it had an extra cylinder !
Engine note became extremely smooth & an idling issue I had during open-loop operation ( while the coolant reaches operating temperature ) got resolved on it's own.
That said, I'm not sure if the I.C.E had been installed badly or if it was the ECU reset ( due to battery disconnect ) that was the cause.

Last edited by im_srini : 6th August 2014 at 14:35.
Old 6th August 2014, 17:08   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Swarnava,
Good question, honestly I do not have a straightforward answer
I guess you could try measuring the continuity, resistance, impedance, etc. of the coil.
However, I'm not sure if there's a procedure for the same & what values are considered valid ( don't have the Service-Manual with me currently ).
Thanks, I'll try and figure out if there is something I can do.

Quote:
Another issue I have had was with after-market I.C.E.
I had to remove the I.C.E for an upgrade & suddenly my car started acting as if it had an extra cylinder !
Engine note became extremely smooth & an idling issue I had during open-loop operation ( while the coolant reaches operating temperature ) got resolved on it's own.
That said, I'm not sure if the I.C.E had been installed badly or if it was the ECU reset ( due to battery disconnect ) that was the cause.
Sounds weird!!
In what way could an I.C.E. be installed badly so as to affect the performance of the car? The only manner in which I.C.E. could affect performance is by the amount of current it draws from the alternator. If it is excessively high, maybe it was starving your engine. However, that would need an extremely high draw so as to make that significant a difference.

Doubtful about the ECU reset part because even though ECU reset makes a noticeable difference in some cases, it is usually not THAT large.

Coming back to the topic, is there any way you could find out what is the price of those DDLI coils presently? You mentioned 1.8k but the mechanic seems to have charged me 2.2k for each. Just want to confirm.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:25   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way you could find out what is the price of those DDLI coils presently ?
You mentioned 1.8k but the mechanic seems to have charged me 2.2k for each.
Hi Swarnava,
The MGP SpreadSheet puts the cost of the ignition coil as Rs. 1,847.
Where I usually get parts ( an MGP store (Authorised MGP Exclusive Outlet - Susee Auto Spares (Chennai)) ), the standard tax computed is 14.5 %.
That would mean that each DDLI coil would be charged ~ Rs.2,115.
So, I'd say you're mechanic is an honest guy