Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th September 2015, 11:17   #661
BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

Coolant is leaking from my 2006 model Alto. I can see drops of coolant in the parking every morning. Coolant level also reduced and I am topping it up with distilled water. Faced the same issue 7 years back and had to do multiple trips to the workshop to figure the issue. Don't remember the name of the exact part that was replaced. Planning to take the car to the workshop on Saturday.

Any pointers?

Thanks.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 17:41   #662
BHPian

Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
I have a question related to clutch overhaul for my Alto Lxi ( 2010 Dec, 23 K odo, used sparingly over weekends for short distances ).
Sometimes, gear behaves very hard, but mostly it is normal gear shift
Shifting between gears could be related to an iffy clutch.
The Alto's transmission is quite straightforward & can take a lot of abuse, it's highly unlikely that your gearbox is acting up after just 23 K.
My 14-years-old Alto, which has run ~ 97 K, is on it's 2nd clutch ( changed last year ) & the gearbox has never been opened.
To be sure in your case, just check the transmission oil level or simply change it anyway.
If shifting is hard all the time, the shifting rod underneath the car could've been knocked out of alignment ( needs replacing in this case ).

Quote:
The car is giving bumpier rides, on loose stoned path there is a noise, which an SA in our nearby MASS said could be due to "front bush problem"
A bumpier ride is generally due to worn dampers, worn bushes would result in noise ( thuds & clanks ).
In any case, you can get MGP 'Bush Kits' that come with all the necessary rubber parts.

Quote:
In idling, there is a noise when clutch is pressed - release bearing issue ?
Same SA said clutch overhaul needed, which would also take 2-3 days and about 4-6 K
What kind of a noise ? Is the clutch play within specs ? Is the SA sure a simple clutch cable adjustment will not solve the issue ?
The 4 - 6 K estimate for a clutch job is rather high, generally it's ~ 3.5 K including labor.

Quote:
During the last full service, the SA told that Steering column needs to be serviced, as when turned to the extreme right/left, it ends with a thud sound.
Is this 'thud' a noise that's heard or something that's felt through the wheel ?
Did the SA specify if it's the column or the rack that needs 'opening up' ?
The steering column in the Alto is generally not a serviceable part...
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 20:03   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
What kind of a noise ? Is the clutch play within specs ? Is the SA sure a simple clutch cable adjustment will not solve the issue ? The 4 - 6 K estimate for a clutch job is rather high, generally it's ~ 3.5 K including labor.
Thanks Srini for all your inputs. Clutch play seems normal, but when the car is in Neutral and the clutch is pressed (say when we are starting beginning of the day from my apartment or parking at the end of the day, in a relatively less noisy environment), a strange 'hhzzzzz' sound is noted till pedal is depressed. This seemed very unusual, we never had this sound before, and if things are alright at clutch side, I don't know what could be the source of that sound. The SA told this to be a probable release bearing issue. Now, after reading your response, it seems to me that it could as well be a linkage issue (or cable issue), so I will ask him to check in more detail when I see him coming weekend.

Quote:
Is this 'thud' a noise that's heard or something that's felt through the wheel ?
Did the SA specify if it's the column or the rack that needs 'opening up' ?
The steering column in the Alto is generally not a serviceable part....
No - nothing felt in the steering wheel. When the steering is turned to either of the extreme ends, it gives a "dhk" sound . Am not sure if that's even a problem, but the SA told the steering column needs to be serviced. Steering behaves perfectly anyway, so am not bothered to much about that, unless he gives me a little more reason (or terrorize - which is why I thought of checking here).

I thank everyone who viewed and responded to my queries, and wish you a great week ahead!
soleinkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 20:07   #664
BHPian

My 2004 Alto Lxi has run 61k. Last night I'd parked near a dumpster for 10 mins and when I started, something was wrong, clutch was not disengaging fully. Clutch had been replaced at 35k, 5 years back. I took it to Mandovi thinking it must be the clutch cable, but was told the clutch needed replacement. Total cost was ₹4649.00. But now the 2nd gear is not slotting easily, I have to wrestle with it. 4th and 5th are also not easy to slot. The SA told me that it will be like that till running in. Is this true? 3rd slots easily.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 20:47   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Coolant is leaking from my 2006 model Alto. I can see drops of coolant in the parking every morning. Coolant level also reduced and I am topping it up with distilled water.
Better to resolve the issue immediately to avoid a roadside failure, if the leak increases drastically. Check all the hose joints first, for leakages.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 10:53   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Better to resolve the issue immediately to avoid a roadside failure, if the leak increases drastically. Check all the hose joints first, for leakages.
Sorry for not updating the thread. Got the issue resolved last Saturday itself.
A hose, some connecting member and coolant were changed. Total cost Rs 1700/-
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 12:41   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My 2004 Alto Lxi has run 61k. Last night I'd parked near a dumpster for 10 mins and when I started, something was wrong, clutch was not disengaging fully. Clutch had been replaced at 35k, 5 years back. I took it to Mandovi thinking it must be the clutch cable, but was told the clutch needed replacement. Total cost was ₹4649.00. But now the 2nd gear is not slotting easily, I have to wrestle with it. 4th and 5th are also not easy to slot. The SA told me that it will be like that till running in. Is this true? 3rd slots easily.
Take it back to where you replaced the clutch. The gear cable has been not aligned properly. Get it done ASAP, and give them a piece of your mind for such sloppy work.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 23:53   #668
BHPian

@Aroy; had taken the car back to Mondovi with your suggestion. I was told a bolt had probably bent microscopically. This bolt had ridges and was used to slot gears apparently. It had a hole on 1 end. As the part replacement was not available, they had my car for 2 days. Now, the gear slots better, but 2nd is still troublesome. Also reverse. What could the problem be? Should I go to a different ASS?
Old 29th September 2015, 17:01   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Aroy; had taken the car back to Mondovi with your suggestion. I was told a bolt had probably bent microscopically. This bolt had ridges and was used to slot gears apparently. It had a hole on 1 end. As the part replacement was not available, they had my car for 2 days. Now, the gear slots better, but 2nd is still troublesome. Also reverse. What could the problem be? Should I go to a different ASS?
As far as I know, the Alto gear is cable actuated.
If so then
. Go back to them and get the cable length adjusted
If not (it is direct connect)
. Go back and tell them that there was no problem in gear selection before they changed the clutch. So they should figure out what they did while putting the clutch housing back. Most probably the gear box and the actuation is not aligned properly.

In the good old days, I remember that as the car aged and the engine foundations got soft, the engine would subside. The first indication was the reverse gear took great effort to engage, then the second would act up, till only the top line of gears would work - 1,3, 5 (if it was there). The mechanic would either change the engine and GB foundations, or if you wanted to skipm that, adjust the actuation rod, and the gears would be back to normal.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 20:19   #670
BHPian

Quote:
But now the 2nd gear is not slotting easily, I have to wrestle with it.
4th and 5th are also not easy to slot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The gear cable has been not aligned properly.
Quote:
Now, the gear slots better, but 2nd is still troublesome.
Also reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I know, the Alto gear is cable actuated.
The older Altos ( F8 & F10 engines ) use a solid metal rod to shift between gears ( this one rod transfers both up-down & left-right movements ).
The newer Altos ( K10 engine ) use cables to shift between gears ( one cable for up-down movements & a separate cable for left-right movements ).

In the older system, to maintain alignment between the gear-lever & the transaxle, there's a separate metal rod which connects the aperture in the chassis where the gear-lever's located to the bottom of the transaxle.
Old 30th September 2015, 21:11   #671
BHPian

Quote:
The older Altos ( F8 & F10 engines ) use a solid metal rod to shift between gears ( this one rod transfers both up-down & left-right movements ).
Pic of the shifting mechanism in the "old" Altos :
Name:  AltoGearShiftMechY.png
Views: 544
Size:  1.56 MB
The motion of the gear lever is transferred to the gearbox via part 17 ( called the Gear-Shift-Control-Shaft-Comp ) in the above pic.
Quote:
In the older system, to maintain alignment between the gear-lever & the transaxle, there's a separate metal rod which connects the aperture in the chassis where the gear-lever's located to the bottom of the transaxle.
The above mentioned part is part 18 ( called the Extension-Rod-Component ) in the above pic.

The Gear-Shift-Control-Shaft is connected to part 27 ( Gear-Shift-Shaft ) in the following pic & is part of the gearbox :
Name:  AltoGearShiftMechX.png
Views: 527
Size:  1.77 MB

Last edited by im_srini : 30th September 2015 at 21:13.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 00:15   #672
BHPian

@im_srini; Thanks for the detailed advice. I was told that the part no. 27 in fig. 32 was probably bent. It was ? changed free of cost. But the problem of 2nd gear and reverse not slotting properly still persists. Can I just continue driving? The gears fall if I force it or if I shake the lever in neutral before slotting.
Old 1st October 2015, 22:45   #673
BHPian

Quote:
I was told that the part no. 27 in fig. 32 was probably bent.
With respect to said part, except for the linkage bit at the end, the rest of it is within the transaxle housing.
Hence the only way to 'bend' it is to reverse over a stone or some such object hard.
Quote:
The problem of 2nd gear and reverse not slotting properly still persists.
I'm not an authority on the subject, but in general, difficult shifting can be caused by :
A) Worn or improperly adjusted clutch
B) Worn synchronizer rings
C) Alignment issue with the gear shifting mech & the transaxle
Your service center should ideally be able to investigate each of the above causes & narrow it down.
For example :
- With the car stationary & the engine off, is the difficulty in shifting still observed ? If yes, most likely C
- While driving, is the difficulty in shifting more prominent while up-shifting or down-shifting ? If yes for down-shifting, probably B
Quote:
The gears fall if I force it or if I shake the lever in neutral before slotting.
Can I just continue driving ?
Ideally you shouldn't be having to 'force' the gears through, it would be wise to have this fixed at the first opportunity.
Going by the 'shake the lever in neutral' comment, it's most likely C.

Last edited by im_srini : 1st October 2015 at 22:49.
Old 22nd October 2015, 18:48   #674

Hi everyone!!

It seems that a clutch issue has cropped up in my Alto 2006 model which has run about 59,000 kms mostly in hills and on very bad roads.

The speed gain is disproportionate to the acceleration. The gears have to changed frequently even while going over a slight incline under a moderate load.

I tried that '3rd gear and release the clutch ' test but the engine stalled.

How much will a new clutch cost? Does entire assembly need to be replaced or just the plate??

An early reply is appreciated as I'll be visiting the mech. tomorrow.

Thanks.
escape velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:22   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
Hi everyone!!

It seems that a clutch issue has cropped up in my Alto 2006 model which has run about 59,000 kms mostly in hills and on very bad roads.

The speed gain is disproportionate to the acceleration. The gears have to changed frequently even while going over a slight incline under a moderate load.

I tried that '3rd gear and release the clutch ' test but the engine stalled.

How much will a new clutch cost? Does entire assembly need to be replaced or just the plate??

An early reply is appreciated as I'll be visiting the mech. tomorrow.

Thanks.
As far as I know,under heavy usage the clutch needs to be replaced every 30K km. The cost of the clutch is reasonable, but the labour costs are same or more. Basically the bell housing the clutch is to be opened, so either the GB or the Engine has to come off (depends on the infrastructure of the work shop). Normally when you replace the plate you should replace the release bearing also.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote