Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd September 2016, 17:32   #706
BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Friends, I need some feedback regarding my 2006 Alto Lxi. The catalytic converter is rattling with engine vibration for some time and the clatter is increasing every day. I have shown it to some local guys who have suggested :.
I recently got the cat-con and the muffler replaced for my '07 Alto Lxi at MASS is slightly expensive but you get complete piece of mind. Plus your PUC level are not affected. The detailed bill is uploaded here (Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!)

Ps: are you sure its a cat-con- BS-III which required cat-con kicked in Dec. 06. Please check as the part numbers are different from cars manufactured from Jan 07 onwards.
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 19:46   #707
BHPian

Post Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
Friends, I need some feedback regarding my 2006 Alto Lxi.
The catalytic converter is rattling with engine vibration for some time and the clatter is increasing every day.
I have shown it to some local guys who have suggested :
Hello Fellow-Alto-User

You can find the exhaust components in the following pic ( taken from the '08 parts-catalog of the old Alto ).

Alto Issues-rf410_exhaust.jpg

A) The cat-con is the part numbered 12 ( 14250M79F10 ) & costs ~ 8,900

B) The muffler is the part numbered 21 ( 14300M76G00 ) & costs ~ 2,950

I would advise that you stick with MGP parts from an authorized store.

You can always save on labor by having them fixed at your local garage.

P.S. - Got the image from this old post (Is this an Alto VXi Muffler?)...
-

Last edited by im_srini : 3rd September 2016 at 19:51.
im_srini is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:44   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, ------5n1p---- respond.
One, I think it's probably the end can.
Two, your car will probably be able to clear the PUC even with the catcon removed. My 2001 Santro does. It's been running a free flow system for the past 8 years.
Which brings us to three, as good an excuse as any to get a free flow done.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:40   #709
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Alto Issues

Quote:
1. Complete removal of the element inside the converter by breaking it into pieces.
2. Replacement of the converter with locally available box which I understand is basically a "jugar" box filled with wool.
Both of these would seriously impact the pollution levels, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Two, your car will probably be able to clear the PUC even with the catcon removed.
My 2001 Santro does.
It's been running a free flow system for the past 8 years.
Hi Mayank, I'm glad you posted this observation, I'm running a CatCon-less free-flow exhaust too - for the past 10 years in fact
Like you, I've never had an issue in clearing the PUC & my Alto is a 2001 car too.
I've even tried multiple PUC centers in Chennai & Bangalore - I've had no problems clearing the PUC test in any of them.

P.S. - Of course it's very much possible that the equipment has not been calibrated in a while & hence grossly inaccurate
-

Last edited by im_srini : 3rd September 2016 at 22:43.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 09:48   #710
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the feedback, and yes it is the catcon as I have replaced the muffler only last year as it was corroded. How come the service bill attached shows a lower price for the catcon. I was told it would be about 10K from MASS.

Last edited by techiecal : 4th September 2016 at 10:11.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 22:38   #711

Hi,

Please give your inputs on these four issues which I'm having with my 2007 Alto which has clocked about 65,000 kilometers.

1. The car starts wobbling around 40 kmph. It remains for a few seconds and disappears as car picks up speed. Wheel balancing? or any other problem? I don't recall wheels having been balanced in a very long time.

2.Car makes a "khat khat " noise in its wheel well only while making a sharp turn. Mech. blames the axle but I doubt. What do you think?

3. Despite the car being nearly 9 years old the steering is stiffer as compared to other cars of same make, model and age. Why and how make it a bit lighter? It is physically exhausting after a long drive.

4. The gear shift is also stiff. Lever needs an extra push after being slotted in neutral position?

Give your suggestions to address these issues.

Thanks.
escape velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:11   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
Hi,

Please give your inputs on these four issues which I'm having with my 2007 Alto which has clocked about 65,000 kilometers.

1. The car starts wobbling around 40 kmph. It remains for a few seconds and disappears as car picks up speed. Wheel balancing? or any other problem? I don't recall wheels having been balanced in a very long time.

2.Car makes a "khat khat " noise in its wheel well only while making a sharp turn. Mech. blames the axle but I doubt. What do you think?

3. Despite the car being nearly 9 years old the steering is stiffer as compared to other cars of same make, model and age. Why and how make it a bit lighter? It is physically exhausting after a long drive.

4. The gear shift is also stiff. Lever needs an extra push after being slotted in neutral position?

Give your suggestions to address these issues.

Thanks.
1. Can be wheel balance issues or the wheel bearing or the axle play.

2. This is definitely an axle or the CV joint. Get both cheched ASAP before it affects the rest of the drive train.

3. The steering train - shaft, rack and the joints at the end need lubrication.

4. Get it checked. If it is cable driven, then the cable needs lubrication or replacement if it has developed kinks,
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:49   #713
BHPian

Has your alto been serviced of late?

Issues such as stiff gears, steering usually develop due to lack of periodic maintenance.

For the steering you could disassemble,re grease and refit, unless of-course its worn out beyond repair.
Wheels could do with balancing,however make sure your rims are true and if you need to go over 100+grams of weight its best to re think about those rims.Out here the alignment and balancing guy refuses to put weights if its 100+.
Drain the gearbox and see the quality of oil, replace with a proper grade.

Get back to forum and let us know how it goes.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 11:42   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
Check suspension lower arm for this. I too faced this issue in my Alto. Was bit tough to reproduce at service center. Finally they made out the noise coming from lower arm. I guess part price was around Rs 700 and labour too in the same range.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 16:36   #715
BHPian

I have a 2004 Alto Lxi which has run 74 k kms. Everything is going strong except for a issue.
The whole body creaks and squeals.. especially low speeds on uneven surfaces. There have been no modifications, no major accident or any other issue. Car has been serviced at the showroom itself (Mondovi) every 6 months like clockwork. There are rattles which are expected.
The service guys say its just due to it being an old car. My premier padmini never had such sounds even after 20 years. Can anything be done?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 16:46   #716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have a 2004 Alto Lxi which has run 74 k kms. Everything is going strong except for a issue.
The whole body creaks and squeals..
First thing is to identify points where its squeaking and creaking, you can start with all the doors. Sometimes replacing the door beading's, hinges (replace or adjust) and adjusting the overall settings can fix such sounds.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 16:50   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The whole body creaks and squeals.. especially low speeds on uneven surfaces. There have been no modifications, no major accident or any other issue. Car has been serviced at the showroom itself (Mondovi) every 6 months like clockwork. There are rattles which are expected.
The service guys say its just due to it being an old car. My premier padmini never had such sounds even after 20 years. Can anything be done?
The perils of owning a Maruti! You should address the following areas:

1. Loose Dashboard.
2. Window glasses which might have developed a free play and dangling with the operating mechanism inside the doors.
3. Rear seat hooks: The nut/ bolts holding the rear seat hooks are prone to getting lose frequently.
4. Any lose stuff in the boot.
5. Rear parcel tray.

Check these and you should get rid of most of the rattles.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:07   #718
BHPian

@Jaggu and @saket77 thanks for the prompt replies.
This is not about the rattles. They are there for a long time.
This is about creaking like as though the whole body is being twisted. Wheel balancing ok, Door alignment ok, Tyres New, Suspension recently changed. The noise cannot be localized to any part. Can't even definitely say if it's from the front.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:30   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is about creaking like as though the whole body is being twisted. Wheel balancing ok, Door alignment ok, Tyres New, Suspension recently changed. The noise cannot be localized to any part. Can't even definitely say if it's from the front.

If you are feeling that the entire body is twisting, then kindly have a look at the mid crossmember of your car. In M800, its a common rusting point, and when it gets corroded and weak, the chassis appears to flex. My friend had this issue, and it was fixed only after the member was replaced. Kindly check that.

Additionally, common points of rattle and squeaks are

-Door hinges are dry/Lubricate
-Door hinges are faulty/Replace or Adjust
-Window roller has developed free play/Insert some foam between doorpad and roller
-Rear seats mounts/tighten
-Rear seats locks/Apply electrical tape to make it thick or replace locks
-Front seat loose/Check movement on rails or recliner for free play
-Dashboard/If needed, remove it and check all small parts.
-Parcel tray
-Doorpads
-Check brake discs for run-out
-Check steering column bushes
-Check all V and flat belts.
-Glasses sometimes develop free play and rattle
Leoshashi is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 17:45   #720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is about creaking like as though the whole body is being twisted.
I was referring to squeaking only (not rattle), and one of the most common reasons are the doors moving around the frame that they are sitting. When the beading is old/stiff and hinges worn, it can result in all sorts of squeaks. Next would be chassis flex if the car has a badly damaged underpinning like mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
If you are feeling that the entire body is twisting, then kindly have a look at the mid crossmember of your car. In M800, its a common rusting point, and when it gets corroded and weak, the chassis appears to flex. My friend had this issue, and it was fixed only after the member was replaced. Kindly check that.
You can also check your seat base, had a funny instance where one of the springs on the seats had broken and was making squeaking noise.
Jaggu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote