Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd March 2017, 08:46   #736
BHPian

Default Re: Alto Issues

Thank you Mr. boss ! I am planning to visit a Maruti A.S.S here in Tiruppur. There is no damages on the other side or the inside of the bonnet.
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 07:12   #737
BHPian

Finally got the bonnet fixed. Abt Maruti at Tiruppur got the dent fixed and repainted the bonnet. Costed me Rs. 4313. I was worried about the end result but it came out very good

Edit : Didn't claim insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Alto Issues-1488677975917.jpg  

Last edited by sairamboko : 5th March 2017 at 07:16.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 09:30   #738
BHPian

My Alto LXi 2006 has recently been making a sound which seems to emanate from the right hand side just behind the steering wheel. It feels as if something is very loose and can be heard if I keep the steering at 10 o'clock and lug the engine so that the whole car vibrates. While driving too, during turns when the engine lugs and vibrates it can be heard. MASS says it is a steering box issue and needs to be changed but I can't feel it at any point in the steering. Could this be the flange nut issue that I have been reading earlier in this thread. The MASS here have no idea about this nut. Any inputs are welcome.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 11:16   #739
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
My Alto LXi 2006 has recently been making a sound which seems to emanate from the right hand side just behind the steering wheel. It feels as if something is very loose and can be heard if I keep the steering at 10 o'clock and lug the engine so that the whole car vibrates.
Does this noise crop up when driving over minor undulations, rough patches or expansion joints over the tarmac (like those over a flyover)? If yes, then it could be a failed steering link in the collapsible steering column assembly. Check the RHS drive shafts as well for any signs of damage. How many kms has your car run?
gpa is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 16:15   #740
BHPian

It is something so loose that it comes even when reversing into my garage when the wheels are barely turning. That means just the vibrations of the engine is causing whatever it is to shake. Of course it can be heard rattling over cobbled roads since it is something so loose but owing to the road noise it is dampened.It seems to be emanating from just behind the dashboard on the right hand side. BTW my car has done 56K.

Last edited by techiecal : 15th March 2017 at 16:17.
Old 15th March 2017, 19:04   #741
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
It is something so loose that it comes even when reversing into my garage when the wheels are barely turning. That means just the vibrations of the engine is causing whatever it is to shake.
It sounds like a collapsed link in the collapsible steering column. Was the car involved in a minor front-end collision anytime in the past 56k kms?
gpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 21:29   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
It sounds like a collapsed link in the collapsible steering column. Was the car involved in a minor front-end collision anytime in the past 56k kms?
Never. It just started a few months ago and is increasing gradually. I am a very careful driver and avoid potholes and undulations while driving at the cost of steering. Perhaps that is why the steering is giving trouble while the suspension is still ok. Is this link reachable in the Alto to verify that it is indeed coming from there.

Last edited by techiecal : 15th March 2017 at 21:32.