Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 23:14   #1
BHPian
 
pr_ans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Rust problem on the Door of my ikon

Hi Guys

I have recently observed rust formation on the doors of my ikon. I ignored it for a month or so and now it increased badly..... ..Pix attached below...

Can someone please guide me on how to go about in fixing this........I'm from Bangalore....

Rust problem on the Door of my ikon-right-door1.jpg

Rust problem on the Door of my ikon-right-door2.jpg
pr_ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 23:19   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,464 Times
Default

Find a good paint shop, strip the portion off rust and start with some anti corrosive primer and then go for a paint job. Attend it to it at the earliest to avoid serious holes on the pocket.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 00:48   #3
BHPian
 
pr_ans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Thanx Jaggu for the quick reply.... Do u think it would be better if I take it to my regular Ford service (Lathangi Ford) to fix this up?.... Plz lemme know if you there is any better paint shop in bangalore to get this done...
pr_ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 11:58   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,464 Times
Default

Ford is a good idea but they might charge a bomb, check the Paint shop in Bangalore thread, you should get some leads from that. Do post your experience once done, since i also am on the look out for a good shop
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 12:04   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

How old is your car? Based on that you can possibly check with Ford..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ford is a good idea but they might charge a bomb,
Because if it's still under warranty then they should do it free. It's not a must for them to oblige but there should be something called 'company goodwill'.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 12:08   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,464 Times
Default

Oh yeah ol man has a point, if its under warranty i think you need to take some thugs to the A.S.S But looking at the shade of paint, warranty might be over.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 12:19   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,476 Times
Default

pr_ans : Check with condor. There is a person who takes up contract painting works for Tata vehicles, who does a good job. Based on condor's suggestion, i suggested the same person for a denting and paintjob for my friend's Santro. Trust me, you just cant tell it has beeb repainted.

I lost the person's number, else i would have PM'ed you the same. The garage is located in Adugodi.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 14:31   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 335 Times
Default

Hi Prans,

There are certain things you have to keep in mind too which could lead to corrosion in your car. First, do you live near the sea or in an area with high humidity levels? and secondly do you wash your car everyday, if yes, is the water used hard or soft?

I live in Mumbai and bang opposite the sea & in an area with high humidity levels and even I have experienced this kind of corrosion and rusting usually in the corners of the doors or under the biddings. All this started within 3 years after purchasing my Swift. I was very disappointed and was even begining to believe that Maruti products are not good but then I was told that the car should be washed every alternate day if possible and also with regular water and not hard water. In my colony, the buildings have 02 water supplies, regular BMC water & bore well water. The watchmen who wash my car used to wash with bore well water which is hard water as the tap for the same was in the garden of our building.

I have stopped now and have asked them to collect a bucket of regular water from my house and throughly wash the car inside & outside every alternate day otherwise just wipe the outside with a wet cloth.

I have also given my car for an anti corrosion coating on the full car which will be done in all corners and also under the car, under the hood, inside the engne bay, inside all four doors and inside the trunk. Hope this helps.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 17:03   #9
BHPian
 
pr_ans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Thanx again guys for all your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How old is your car? Based on that you can possibly check with Ford..
Because if it's still under warranty then they should do it free. It's not a must for them to oblige but there should be something called 'company goodwill'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oh yeah ol man has a point, if its under warranty i think you need to take some thugs to the A.S.S But looking at the shade of paint, warranty might be over.
Warranty??? no way! My baby is a 2001 Ford Ikon. May be I shouldn't call it a baby lol. I do not know any gud paint shop in bangalore hence was referring to Ford service as I MAY trust the quality of their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
pr_ans : Check with condor. There is a person who takes up contract painting works for Tata vehicles, who does a good job. Based on condor's suggestion, i suggested the same person for a denting and paintjob for my friend's Santro. Trust me, you just cant tell it has beeb repainted.

I lost the person's number, else i would have PM'ed you the same. The garage is located in Adugodi.

That sounds great, will surely check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Prans,

There are certain things you have to keep in mind too which could lead to corrosion in your car. First, do you live near the sea or in an area with high humidity levels? and secondly do you wash your car everyday, if yes, is the water used hard or soft?

I live in Mumbai and bang opposite the sea & in an area with high humidity levels and even I have experienced this kind of corrosion and rusting usually in the corners of the doors or under the biddings. All this started within 3 years after purchasing my Swift. I was very disappointed and was even begining to believe that Maruti products are not good but then I was told that the car should be washed every alternate day if possible and also with regular water and not hard water. In my colony, the buildings have 02 water supplies, regular BMC water & bore well water. The watchmen who wash my car used to wash with bore well water which is hard water as the tap for the same was in the garden of our building.

I have stopped now and have asked them to collect a bucket of regular water from my house and throughly wash the car inside & outside every alternate day otherwise just wipe the outside with a wet cloth.

I have also given my car for an anti corrosion coating on the full car which will be done in all corners and also under the car, under the hood, inside the engne bay, inside all four doors and inside the trunk. Hope this helps.

I stay in Bangalore BTM 6th stage, Bannerghatta road. I beleive there wouldn't be any sea effect here. However, the Hard water problem might be a cause. My car cleaner washes the car everyday. Not sure why but the corrosion started only on the right side DOORS. Left side is just perfect. Looks like even I should consider an Anti corrosion coating.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th October 2009 at 17:12. Reason: Limit smilies to 2 per post thanks.
pr_ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 17:16   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,464 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_ans View Post
I do not know any gud paint shop in bangalore hence was referring to Ford service as I MAY trust the quality of their work.
yes they will have minimum standards and you can always go and catch them by their neck if its a shody job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_ans View Post
My car cleaner washes the car everyday. Not sure why but the corrosion started only on the right side DOORS. Left side is just perfect. Looks like even I should consider an Anti corrosion coating.
Water will get under those weather strips and if not dried can result in corrosion. Can be a reason. Small defect from factory or a scratch is enough and that might be the reason for this issue.

Try Suraksha @ adugodi, Ramamurthy is the manager and he does a decent job at a reasonable price, you can refer TBHP name also. Do check thoroughly and ensure the job is ok before signing off and making the payment.

Anti corrosion is for underbody and yes might be a good idea if you plan to keep the car for long, but ensure you clean the underbody thoroughly before giving the car for the job
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 17:22   #11
BHPian
 
pr_ans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

FYI

This is my ride... 2001 Ford IKON... Warranty (Don't even think about it... )

Rust problem on the Door of my ikon-img00290.jpg

Rust problem on the Door of my ikon-img00293.jpg
pr_ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Ikon Flair Back Door Problem. snaronikar Technical Stuff 13 26th April 2016 11:02
New MINI 3-Door & 5-Door launched in India @ Rs 31.85 - 35.20 lakh Tushar The Indian Car Scene 33 13th April 2015 18:00
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
5745.4kms, Door to Door, 4 States and 1 UT Judemayne Travelogues 30 23rd April 2011 21:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks