Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th October 2009, 23:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default wiper/washer synchronisation problem.

My Lancer has this synchronisation problem of washer / wiper. When I pull the stalk up to spray and sweep, the sweep comes frist and then a little later the spray comes. this results in wiper blades moving across the dry glass leaving scratches and making squeeky sounds till the spray starts. the mech hasn't been of much help. he says it cannot be rectified. I am not convinced. can somehow the process be reversed, that is can i get it to spray before it sweeps? what work do i have to do on it? any suggestions please?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 12:26   #2
BHPian

If wiper assembly is fine and working well then ask your mechanic to remove the combination switch assembly and then show it to any electronic repair shop. There are several SMD behind this switch which may have gone. A person who reapir TV, music systems may reapir it for you. Showing you the pic of 1994 M1000 combination switch, yours may have even more complex curcuit and more components

Name:  assembly.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  78.9 KB
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hashim, thanx for your reply. What is SMD?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Hashim, thanx for your reply. What is SMD?

Here you go Surface-mount technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 13:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

There is ball valve system which prevents the water from completely flowing into the tank, when not used. Check if its working (the ball can get rusty and get stuck) Or if its removed, rectifying this will help a bit.

This will come on the plastic tube line as a small plastic connector, removing it and then softly blow on it/run water under a tap. If its working fine, flow from bottle to nozzle side should work and reverse should shut the flow.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 07:17   #6
BHPian

Default wiper not working

Didn't want to start another thread for jus a question.

My wiper jus died on me - I was using it on this trip and I stopped for someone to get off and when i got back in to continue my journey the wipers were not working.
since it was late night and was raining heavily I didn't check on it but somehow got home.
Could it jus be a fuse?
I have the OHC type 2.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Wipers getting stuck midway on 800

Hi,
decided to use this old thread to present my problem.My '97 800's wiper arms get stuck midway while operating.I have to remove the second arm and only keep the driver side arm for the wiper to function.is this due to the motor going weak?

if i remove the wipers and switch on the wipers both the rotors move.On the other hand when i compared my wiper arms to that of another 800 i found out that mine were pretty close to the cars body and i can see scratch marks on the cars body at the edges close to the where the wipers are connected to the rotors.

I don't know if my motors become weak or i have the wrong kind of wiper arms.?

Please suggest.

thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:07   #8
BHPian

Sumeet, I guess that shaft that holds the wiper arm is rusted. Try lubricating the shaft with a few drops of oil.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 10:40   #9
BHPian

Talking Same problem

Hi I had the same problem with my sister in laws m800 1997 (actg) of jammed wiper arms at first i thought the motor had blown then after trying to operate the motor unsuccessfully I got a burning smell from it ... then upon showing it to a mechanic i was told that first the arms jammed and then motor got burned trying to move those jammed arms . Arms + motor had to be replaced.
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 08:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
i think i have may found ou the cause of the problem of the wipers getting jammed.I have noticed the driver side's wiper rotor has collapsed a bit inside.It seems to have just slipped back a little ,hence the wipers are getting stuck midway due to lack of free movement.

So how can this be repaired, i mean i see opening from the bonnet from where i can access the wiper rotor or does this mean i will have to get the dasboard opened up.I hope i don't have to replace the entire wiper motor just because the mounting has been dislodged as the motors are running fine though noisy.

BTW anky how much did you pay for the motor,just in case.

thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 09:00   #11
BHPian

Replace the linkage assembly. It shoud be costing somewhere around Rs 400/- and odd. BTW what happened to the thread starter Sagar's car? Has be solved the problem?
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 17:41   #12
BHPian

sumeet I had the same problem and following was done:

- Wiper linkage rod thing which connect both wipers to motor was replaced
- Motor was serviced and a plastic gear inside it was changed.

Result- no more sticking wipers.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 19:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Replace the linkage assembly. It shoud be costing somewhere around Rs 400/- and odd. BTW what happened to the thread starter Sagar's car? Has be solved the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
sumeet I had the same problem and following was done:

- Wiper linkage rod thing which connect both wipers to motor was replaced
- Motor was serviced and a plastic gear inside it was changed.

Result- no more sticking wipers.
Hi guys,
you both were right,replaced the wiper linkage and hey presto problem solved.Not only are the wipers running smoothly but also there is no krrrr sound which used to come when the wiper was moving.

Total cost was as follows
Wiper linkage assembly - 280 (Denso)
Bolts with rubber cover - 80(originals had rusted)
Labour - 150

Thanks to both of you.