Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd May 2010, 20:51   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Front McPherson struts set : 3020 for a pair, (MGP gabriel make) with all the rubber parts and nuts.
Springs (optional) Rs 230 a peice.

I have done this job last month, will post the images in coming months
Thanks...I am REALLY wondering whether I should get this done at the moment (am doubtful that even the one is faulty!)

Quote:

I will suggest you first replace accelerator cable. Rs. 108/-

Spray some wd 40 on the springs near the stopper
Accelerator cable is frayed and needs replacement anyway. If this does not solve the pedal "heaviness" & "unresponsiveness", its overhaul time I guess.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

there is a way to check front struts. Check by Following simple DIY way.

There are two way of doing this.
1. Jack up you car, Turn extreme right or left so you can see the Coils. Check any sign of oil leakage or if the car is used extensively check for lot of wet oily dust sticking to the shocks.

2. Push down the end of the bonnet and release so that the corner begins to Bounce up and down, then release that corner. If the Strut is good, the corner should come up and stop or jumps just once. If the Strut is conked, that corner will continue to bounce up and down a couple of times after it's released.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:19   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Hey I have a similar problem with my Zen. Its a 2001 model, the AC is jus blowing air at normal temprature, took it to the M.A.S.S. to get the gas filled. They say that I need to upgrade to a new system, and quoted a 8-9k for this.

Do you suggest I go for the R134? What are the complications if I do so?
Or I simply go to a local garage and jus spend on filling the gas?
Guys,

Check out this link on r12 and r134 compressors
Know Your Car A/C System

Apologies if this link has been posted earlier.
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 22:24   #154
BHPian

Quote:
there is a way to check front struts. Check by Following simple DIY way.

There are two way of doing this.
1. Jack up you car, Turn extreme right or left so you can see the Coils. Check any sign of oil leakage or if the car is used extensively check for lot of wet oily dust sticking to the shocks.
Thanks. This is what was showed to me at the A.S.S., but I'm not COMPLETELY convinced beacuse of point 2 as you mentioned below -

Quote:
2. Push down the end of the bonnet and release so that the corner begins to Bounce up and down, then release that corner. If the Strut is good, the corner should come up and stop or jumps just once. If the Strut is conked, that corner will continue to bounce up and down a couple of times after it's released.
Tried that and the car does not "bounce". However will check again.
Old 27th May 2010, 21:36   #155
BHPian

Default Extended Garage Stay!

It's been a week since the car's gone to the garage (as I decided to get a nasty dent on the rear door & others on the front & rear panels repaired under insurance).

Once back from the body shop, decided to replace both front strut assemblies, and some steering related parts (will post the exact details when I get the car tomorrow).

Carb overhaul was done today (which I watched over for 3 hours) - only the rubber seals, insulator & some rubber "gaskets" like thingies in the power valve were replaced.

Dread to see the bill tomorrow, but can't wait for the trial run to see the difference. Will post all details subsequently.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:17   #156
BHPian

Default Serviced!

Denting/Painting, Servicing, Carb Overhaul, Suspension - done.

Just putting down the details of major replacements - add 12.5% VAT to all spare prices (MASS!!)

Suspension & Brakes -

1 . Front Strut assembly + mounts x 2 - 1300 per strut + 31 per mount
2. Arm assembly front suspension control x 2 - 385 per arm
3. Steering tie rod, rack-bush, etc - 675
4. Stabiliser bar mount, bush - 75
5. Brake shoe x 4 - 260
6. Cylinder assembly rear x 2 - 435

Labor (add 10% service tax)
- Suspension - 475
- Steering - 350
- Wheel alignment - 200
- Brake (fr & Rr) - 375

Carb components -
1. Acc cable assembly - 75
2. FCC Gasket - 86
3. Packing, Insulator, O-ring - 80
4. Power valve diaphragm kit - 121
5. Hoses (cannister to carb; heater inlet hose) - 72
6. V belt - 685
7. Air cleaner element - 95
8. Carb/Injector spray - 64

Labor - 250 (I was watching the entire process, from disassembling, to brush cleaning, sanding, spray cleaning, compressed air cleaning/drying, replacement of internal components & reassembly - for nearly 4 hours)

Miscellaneous & "Servicing" -

1.Engine oil & filter - 690
2. Spark plugs - 195
3. Coolant - 200
4. Brake oil - 100

Labour - 525

TOTAL COST - 10700/-

Results -

1. Feather touch accelerator pedal now; the unresponsiveness is history. Pick up feels like a new car; free revving even on LPG! (I have to keep the right foot in check now!) I have to check what the FE will be now though!

2. Firm ride - thuds/squeaks/rolling noises all gone

3. Steering - firmer than before; I had to request them to loosen it a bit as it was quite tiring to have such a heavy wheel.

PLUS - Insurance covered the entire labour for denting/painting (7600); only paid the compulsory excess (had checked the NCB - approx 600).

Besides, got the bonnet repainted without charges as the previous job done (2 years ago) was unsatisfactory - even MASS agreed it was a problem.

LINGERING issue - The front wheels still transmit high speed vibrations (around 100km/hr). I guess it may be because of the poor tires (have run 60000+ km) and are unbalanced. (They were not balanced as the weights required would be well in excess of 100gms)

Another issue may be widened rim holes (totally covered 128600 km on stock rims).

A second tyre change is due - how should I get the rim hole issue checked/rectified?

P.S. : Kindly excuse the extra long (?boring) post!

Last edited by Zen2001 : 30th May 2010 at 18:20.
Old 30th May 2010, 22:11   #157
BHPian

Good details...Thanks for posting it. I can surely use before my next overhual service!

For rims & tires. I suggest go for new steel rims (any Maruti/Hyundai/etc) if its the same size.
devrajman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:00   #158
Team-BHP Support

Just chuck out the old rims and buy a new one along with tires, steel rims are not very expensive.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:00   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Good details...Thanks for posting it. I can surely use before my next overhual service!

For rims & tires. I suggest go for new steel rims (any Maruti/Hyundai/etc) if its the same size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just chuck out the old rims and buy a new one along with tires, steel rims are not very expensive.
Thank you guys. Advice noted. Just a query - The original rims are 12" ; should I go for 13" or keep it 12" ? I can live with the speedo error, but don't want any damage to the transmission/power/handling characteristics. Also, any particular brand recommended (& cost of a set of 5)? Thanks.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:54   #160
Team-BHP Support

If you want better ride stick to 12" for a better handling steering go with 13", as long as you keep the overall dia same error etc will not be an issue.
Old 31st May 2010, 17:32   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you want better ride stick to 12" for a better handling steering go with 13", as long as you keep the overall dia same error etc will not be an issue.
Thank you Jaggu. The search is on.

PS: The V-belt (just replaced) developed a longitudinal tear while driving (with A/C on) leading to loosening & noise. Went back to the MASS - they could not see any reason why this happened. The road on which this happened was concreted (long time ago), with no loose gravel which could have gotten stuck between belt and pulley. Pulley surfaces (grooves) were checked. New belt put in at no cost.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:30   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Thank you guys. Advice noted. Just a query - The original rims are 12" ; should I go for 13" or keep it 12" ? I can live with the speedo error, but don't want any damage to the transmission/power/handling characteristics. Also, any particular brand recommended (& cost of a set of 5)? Thanks.
If you want 12", go for Maruti original Alto rims. They are a perfect match for zen. if you want 13", then go for Maruti original old Wagon R rims.
sam_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:10   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
1 . Front Strut assembly + mounts x 2 - 1300 per strut + 31 per mount
Rs. 1300 per strut , what struts were these? Even MGP gas shocks for the zen costs Rs 650 each.

MASS knows where and how to extract money from poor owners like us.

Last edited by NOS Power : 1st June 2010 at 12:12.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:39   #164
Team-BHP Support

@NOS: are you talking about front or rear shocks?
Old 1st June 2010, 22:17   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Rs. 1300 per strut , what struts were these? Even MGP gas shocks for the zen costs Rs 650 each.

MASS knows where and how to extract money from poor owners like us.
NOS Power, you are probably referring to the rear shocks; thats their price. The front ones are roughly 1300 each. I've got Delphi ones now; the previous ones were Munjal. I asked about Gabriel struts, but they did not have the MGP-Gabriel in stock. I was told they are a little bit pricier.