Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th September 2010, 20:15   #196
Senior - BHPian

Please check if the M800 rims are available.If the PCD matches,they can fit the Zen.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 00:46   #197
BHPian

Default Update - New rims & tyres

Finally managed to get my hands on 12" 4J rims (MGP @782/rim) & Michelin XM1+ (145/80 R12 @2250/tyre) thru MASS. (I preferred MASS as they procured the rims; they usually source tyres from aftermarket retailers anyway, and I had a previous steering rack play which was not corrected completely during the last service)

Have to say, Michelins are super smooth and quiet. Good ride quality rather than extreme handling is what I require, and I guess they will perform in this respect.

The previous Apollo Amazers did a pretty good job for more than 60000 km and I really took them to the most horrible roads - pot holed under construction highways to stone tracks and non existent bridges in remote villages!

Tyre pressure recommended (on the door plate) is 24psi. MASS filled to 26. I was usually filling to 30!
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 17:35   #198
BHPian

Zen2001, Did you get the free mobile phone from Michelin? They currently have a scheme where they are giving away a mobile phone if you buy 4 tyres.

How is the ride quality of the Michelins? Please comment on the road noise too. Did you look at other tyre brands too? I am currently in the market for a set of five 12" tyres for my 2006 Zen Vxi. The original Apollo Amazers have done 50,000 kms and the rubber has hardened and the treads are almost gone :-)
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 20:42   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Zen2001, Did you get the free mobile phone from Michelin? They currently have a scheme where they are giving away a mobile phone if you buy 4 tyres.

How is the ride quality of the Michelins? Please comment on the road noise too. Did you look at other tyre brands too? I am currently in the market for a set of five 12" tyres for my 2006 Zen Vxi. The original Apollo Amazers have done 50,000 kms and the rubber has hardened and the treads are almost gone :-)
I did quite a lot of searching this time, both on T-BHP & tyre retail shops. The free mobile is only offered on tyres 13" & over (checked this with N. Mehta tyres - Michelin dealer)

Ride quality is superb. The difference is to the extent that I am kicking myself for the self torture I endured for 135000km! As I also had the front suspension struts & lower arms replaced recently and steering rack worked upon, the NVH is nearly comparable to my Ritz now! Earlier, almost everything would rattle and vibrate (scarily) @ 80km/h; today I did not notice any body/steering column vibrations and even road noise @ 100km/h. The level of "silence" is so profound, that I no longer needed the background "masking" of the stereo/radio to drown the tyre noise I previously experienced.One thing I need to mention is the tyre pressure - previously I kept 30 in the tubed Apollo Amazers, now its 26.

Maybe the flipside (which I already experienced) was when some wet tar debris stuck to the front tyre with some gravel leading to a wobbly feel, which got me so concerned that I thought it was a flat - I had to stop, check and scrape out all the tar debris from the grooves to get the smoothness back again. Also I feel one needs to be extra careful on rocky patches, road shoulders, sharp potholes lest the soft sidewalls tear.

I had also looked at Bridgestone S322 - that was the only competition - but I guess the "soft" corner for Michelins won!

Now I am looking to sell the old 12" X 4J rims with Apollo Amazers (145/80), but haven't got any offers worth considering. Do u have any suggestions?

Last edited by Zen2001 : 10th September 2010 at 20:45.
Old 11th September 2010, 16:46   #200
BHPian

My zen has done 110000km. The handbrake of my car is wasted. You need to yank it all the way up to engage. I got it checked at MASS. They say that 5k rupees might be needed to rectify the problem.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 23:08   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
My zen has done 110000km. The handbrake of my car is wasted. You need to yank it all the way up to engage. I got it checked at MASS. They say that 5k rupees might be needed to rectify the problem.
5k!?? but for what, have you asked them for that.

The thing is that your handbrake do work when you pull it all the way up, right? So it just needs adjustment.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 19:56   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
5k!?? but for what, have you asked them for that.

The thing is that your handbrake do work when you pull it all the way up, right? So it just needs adjustment.
And if adjustment is not possible any further then it just need new handbrake cables. Pair of cables (Left and Right) cost around 750 Rs I think and not more than that.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 22:13   #203
BHPian

Oh no!
Sorry guys, I posted wrong info.
Actually, I had a talk with them yesterday. And what they have quoted me is-

1. Handbrake cable Rs. 370
2. Brake shoe Rs. 450
3. Wheel cylinder Rs. 320 X 2
4. Adjuster Rs. 380 X 2
Plus he said another Rs. 1000 if the drums need a replacement as well.
And yes, the handbrake works when pulled tightly and works good enough. Please help guys.
Quite frankly, I feel they are taking me for a ride and this why I am turning to you guys for help.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 12th September 2010 at 22:15.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:31   #204
Senior - BHPian

ooh! I think he is servicing the rear brake and wheel.

What i wanted to ask is, Is your cars' braking good while driving
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 07:15   #205
BHPian

This question is very tough to answer for me.
See, firstly tell me whether or not rear brakes have any part to play when we brake with the pedal. I know it might be a silly question.
Otherwise, the problem with pedal braking is that I need to press the pedal much deeper to feel the effects of braking than my brand new Fiesta. Although everything else after the initial play, everything is fine. No scary moments or ''bad'' behaviour. I recently got the front brake pads changed but the ''problem'' still remains.
I don't know if it is a problem or not.
And the handbrake, it works well only when pulled up tightly, but, they do work well then.
Old 13th September 2010, 22:50   #206
BHPian

I notice that the brake pedal also feels spongy.
Also, is it advisable to decarbonize the engine keeping in mind that it has done 1,10,000 Kms and not decarbonized ever?
Throttle body cleaning?
Injector cleaning?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 13th September 2010 at 23:05.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:52   #207
BHPian

Quote:
I notice that the brake pedal also feels spongy.
Also, is it advisable to decarbonize the engine keeping in mind that it has done 1,10,000 Kms and not decarbonized ever?
Throttle body cleaning?
Injector cleaning?
You need to get the braking system (everything, including fluid, booster, drums, pads, shoes etc checked) & replace whatever is worn out. Infact even "bleeding" may be the answer (especially if u have already done a brake service).

The rest I figure are not mandatory. I had to get the carb serviced/cleaned @125000 as the accelerator response had become "heavy" and the linkages seemed stuck with grime. About MPFI I really can't say. Probably injector cleaning?
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:30   #208
BHPian

Guys, my Zen has run close to 115000Km. Do you recommend Xado treatment for cylinders?
What else?
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:45   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my Zen has run close to 115000Km. Do you recommend Xado treatment for cylinders?
What else?
What is Xado treatment?

We have two MPFI Zens in the family, both 2002.
Mine has done 1.27 Lac km & my uncle's Zen has 1.52 Lac km on the ODO! Never felt any need for engine-decarb so far!
Suggest you to go through a thread on Engine decarbonisation this forum.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:31   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
What is Xado treatment?

We have two MPFI Zens in the family, both 2002.
Mine has done 1.27 Lac km & my uncle's Zen has 1.52 Lac km on the ODO! Never felt any need for engine-decarb so far!
Suggest you to go through a thread on Engine decarbonisation this forum.
Ok! learnt about XADO.

Read the relevant thread here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-engine.html (Carbon Cleaning / Decarbonisation of Engine)
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote