Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th October 2010, 13:30   #211
BHPian

Smile Zen serviced and tyres replaced

I got my Carb '99 Zen serviced yesterday at Suraksha Bommanahalli under Lokesh. Expecirence was best among all the service station (RNS Yestwantpur, Pratham Rajajinagar, Suraksha Adugodi) All mechanics were paying good attention to their work. Also most of them were busy working and no unreq talks, chats, jokes, etc. Overall better & professional work env. I reached at 8AM and was watching them work on my car till 11:30AM. Then my manager called and I had to rush to office. I collected the car at 5PM.

My bill was 7800/- including 4 new 13" steel rims costing Rs 887 each and wiper motor plus link kit replacement of Rs 2700.

Had no major parts replacement req, no brake pads, no spark plugs, etc.

Replaced Engine oil with Castrol Magnetec and Bardhal oil treatment (Rs 350/-) (as my engine has sludge issue) This is my second engine oil replacement with engine oil additive. Last time (4500kms back) we added 3M engine oil additive with Castrol Magnetec.

I bought the rims from Suraksha but told him not to install it as tyre cost was higher and they dont take old tyres nor rims.

Hence I went to Madhus. I replaced 4 tires. I went for Michelin XM1+ 155/70 R13 with new steel rims. Very professional work. I got the free mobile too. Madhus didn't have mobile in stock hence they arranged it from another shop from where I picked it up.

Car has become really smooth (even before the tyre change) and there is very less noise at high RPM. Steering loosened up. Overall it does feel serviced!!

Tyres are great. It is upsize hence I will have speedo error of 3-4%. I instantly felt the height difference and also the smoothness of the tyres. I couldnt test the grip at corners as my wife didnt let me drive and she was driving all the time!

My mom is happy with the new Mobile Phone, it serves her purpose. Dual Speakers (really loud), Torch, FM, call and SMS

Overall a happy day!
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:21   #212
BHPian

Some snaps of New Tyre + RIM
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and the art of maintaining it-01.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-05.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-07.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-06.jpg  

devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 00:04   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I got my Carb '99 Zen serviced yesterday at Suraksha Bommanahalli under Lokesh. Expecirence was best among all the service station (RNS Yestwantpur, Pratham Rajajinagar, Suraksha Adugodi) All mechanics were paying good attention to their work. Also most of them were busy working and no unreq talks, chats, jokes, etc. Overall better & professional work env. I reached at 8AM and was watching them work on my car till 11:30AM. Then my manager called and I had to rush to office. I collected the car at 5PM.

My bill was 7800/- including 4 new 13" steel rims costing Rs 887 each and wiper motor plus link kit replacement of Rs 2700.

Had no major parts replacement req, no brake pads, no spark plugs, etc.

Replaced Engine oil with Castrol Magnetec and Bardhal oil treatment (Rs 350/-) (as my engine has sludge issue) This is my second engine oil replacement with engine oil additive. Last time (4500kms back) we added 3M engine oil additive with Castrol Magnetec.

I bought the rims from Suraksha but told him not to install it as tyre cost was higher and they dont take old tyres nor rims.

Hence I went to Madhus. I replaced 4 tires. I went for Michelin XM1+ 155/70 R13 with new steel rims. Very professional work. I got the free mobile too. Madhus didn't have mobile in stock hence they arranged it from another shop from where I picked it up.

Car has become really smooth (even before the tyre change) and there is very less noise at high RPM. Steering loosened up. Overall it does feel serviced!!

Tyres are great. It is upsize hence I will have speedo error of 3-4%. I instantly felt the height difference and also the smoothness of the tyres. I couldnt test the grip at corners as my wife didnt let me drive and she was driving all the time!

My mom is happy with the new Mobile Phone, it serves her purpose. Dual Speakers (really loud), Torch, FM, call and SMS

Overall a happy day!

Nice update. Michelins are really smooth and quiet, although you may "feel" the potholes "harder" due to the softer rubber and lower sidewall profile (as you have upsized). Overall, they are really good for driving on "good" roads.
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 21:43   #214
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Does any one have service manual for ZEN MPFI ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 14:16   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend happens to own a '03 Zen MPFI, which has clocked ~75,000kms.

Its been a while that he's complaining about very low FE (~10kmpl). Last day when I got to drive the car, I noticed immediately that the car was idling high. There was no tacho, but obviously, it was pretty audible.

Now,
  1. How can an MPFI engine idle high 'all' the time?. Isnt the ECU supposed to regulate the RPM?.
  2. Is the high idling the cause of low FE that he is getting?. If so how to rectify it?.
I suspect the O2 sensor. Any other reasons?.

The car is well maintained, and is serviced periodically at every 7,500kms.

P.S - Mods, this is the best I ended up upon searching the threads.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:13   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Its been a while that he's complaining about very low FE (~10kmpl). Last day when I got to drive the car, I noticed immediately that the car was idling high. There was no tacho, but obviously, it was pretty audible.

Now,
  1. How can an MPFI engine idle high 'all' the time?. Isnt the ECU supposed to regulate the RPM?.
  2. Is the high idling the cause of low FE that he is getting?. If so how to rectify it?.

In MPFI Marutis the idle rpm will be high initially (for 2-3 min) for a cold start. Once the engine reaches optimum temperatures, the idle rpm will come down. If high rpm is being maintained even after reaching optimum temp(temp guage at or near middle mark), better get it checked at an A.S.S because rpm is regulated by the ECU. No manual settings here.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:28   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
In MPFI Marutis the idle rpm will be high initially (for 2-3 min) for a cold start. Once the engine reaches optimum temperatures, the idle rpm will come down.
Same in all MPFI cars, called the enrichment period, I guess.

Now this suggestion also makes me doubt if the ECT sensor is at fault?. Because it might be feeding the ECU wrong (cold) readings and hence revving high?. but then, doesnt the temperature gauge show that?
Old 19th January 2011, 15:35   #218
Senior - BHPian

The temp gauge being analog must be the old school type and AFAIK should not be taking reading from the ECU. Most probably, cleaning the sensors should do the trick. Older MPFi Marutis have much fewer problems (probably to their made in Japan parts) than current ones. Sensor needing replacement is less likely.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:57   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now,

Is the high idling persisting at all times? as in, even after the engine has run for more than 5min?

As mentioned, initially, the idling speed for Zen shoots up (quite high compared to other cars) and then normalizes.

If it is the same even after running, then there could be an issue of high idling.

I doubt the temp. sensor could have something to do with this though.
Probably he could the engine tuning done.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 16:20   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the high idling persisting at all times? as in, even after the engine has run for more than 5min?

As mentioned, initially, the idling speed for Zen shoots up (quite high compared to other cars) and then normalizes.
Yes, the vehicle idles high all the time, and that is my concern. How can an ECU controlled idle be high?. What could be the wrong inputs that give out this wrong output.

Quote:
If it is the same even after running, then there could be an issue of high idling.
What exactly causes high idling?

Quote:
Probably he could the engine tuning done.
How to tune an MPFI engine? In carb, I toggle with the air/fuel ratio screw, and here..?
Old 21st January 2011, 16:32   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now,

I would like to add another symptom to this: Excessive petrol smell on cranking and idling. Just like more fuel is being supplied than required - incomplete combustion.

- Experts, please shed some light on this issue.
Old 21st January 2011, 19:23   #222
BHPian

If you smell petrol just check fuel line for leakage, usually that place has marks left by evaporated petrol. Also check rubber fuel lines inside the engine compartment and below petrol tank by bending them. Slowly evaporating petrol from fuel lines will surely result in low mileage.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 19:46   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
If you smell petrol just check fuel line for leakage, usually that place has marks left by evaporated petrol. Also check rubber fuel lines inside the engine compartment and below petrol tank by bending them. Slowly evaporating petrol from fuel lines will surely result in low mileage.
No smell when parked. The smell comes only when you start the car. Will tell him to check though.

buttt.. High Idling in an MPFi???..
Old 21st January 2011, 20:23   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No smell when parked. The smell comes only when you start the car. Will tell him to check though.

I faced a peculiar issue in my Alto some time back wherein the car if started even after the engine is sufficiently hot (say after a wait at a traffic signal) would have high idle rpm & it would take longer than usual to come down to normal.

Upon showing this to MASS, it was identified as some problem with a part which if I remember correctly was called the butterfly valve. I might be wrong, but then I was suggested that it is this part that needs cleaning. However, I was warned that once they open it, it might get damaged while cleaning & then I would have to buy a new one.

I left it as it is, since the problem occurs only some times. If it happens more frequently, then I would take the risk.

I just wanted to share this with you in case my experience can give some insights.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 21:39   #225
BHPian

Quote:

Maye be because of electronic fuel pump which will fill fuel lines only when turning key and after moving some distance smell fades away.

High idling is related to sensor malfunctioning in MPFI. Have you tried reducing idling by setting it via accelerator cable adjuster screw?

Last edited by Hashim : 21st January 2011 at 21:40.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote