Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th January 2011, 14:58   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post

Upon showing this to MASS, it was identified as some problem with a part which if I remember correctly was called the butterfly valve.
Isnt that the throttle valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
High idling is related to sensor malfunctioning in MPFI.
Yes, the ECU is giving out more fuel than required to compensate 'some error' . What could that be?. 1. More air?. 2. More load?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Have you tried reducing idling by setting it via accelerator cable adjuster screw?
Does MPFI's have a accelerator cable adjuster screw?. If so where?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 21:28   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Isnt that the throttle valve?
Not sure mate, maybe some body else can clarify this.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 22:31   #228
BHPian

Post Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
It was identified as some problem with a part which if I remember correctly was called the butterfly valve. I might be wrong, but then I was suggested that it is this part that needs cleaning. However, I was warned that once they open it, it might get damaged while cleaning & then I would have to buy a new one.
I think your M-A-S-S was referring to the IACV, or idle-air-control-valve, its basically a stepper-motor driven valve that sits underneath the throttle-body (in the Alto).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Does MPFI's have a accelerator cable adjuster screw?. If so where?
Yes, the Alto's throttle-body does have a screw for adjustment - the accelerator cable wraps around a plastic semi-circle which has a protruding tab on its underside, this tab rests against the adjustment screw which acts as a stop (backing the screw out reduces idle RPM).

Name:  TB_Alto_3.JPG
Views: 6010
Size:  40.3 KB

Note however that the ECU would itself try to adjust the idle RPM, so fiddling with the idle screw alone doesn't guarantee resolution of idle-speed issues.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 01:00   #229
BHPian

Hi All

I have a 99 carb zen ran 43k, have been facing an issue for quite sometime, when i start the car in the morning the car starts but is very sluggish till the temp comes to the optimum point. Once the temp has come up then everything is fine no issues at all.

Same is observed after you park the car for more than 5hrs or so the same sluggishness even if you floor the pedal its slow till the temp comes up.

Showed at MASS left it there of a day they could find out what the issue was, suspecting a carb issue i had serviced the carb no luck, Checked the tappets all good, battery good, all wires good, spark plugs good. Not able to understand why this happens.

Noted a small oil leak from the distributor section, i think the O ring is gone and needs replacement. Could this be the culprit.

Team please do let me know what could be the reason as am out of ideas
Tazzy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 01:36   #230
BHPian

Hey All,

I had few Questions regarding an 2002 Zen Lxi

1.were 02 models mpfi or carbs?
2. they came with 12" or 13"rims?

P.S- Its my friends car and i have to do it up for him so wanna plan things well in advance so needed answers for the same.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 04:50   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Hey All,

I had few Questions regarding an 2002 Zen Lxi

1.were 02 models mpfi or carbs?
2. they came with 12" or 13"rims?

P.S- Its my friends car and i have to do it up for him so wanna plan things well in advance so needed answers for the same.
@ Jatin,

With the best of the information that I have , in 2002 , BS 2 was made mandatory and Maruti only sold MPFI engines .
So 2002 Zen should be a MPFI engine .

from 1993 to 1999 the zen had 13" wheels
From 2000- till they stopped production , the wheels were 12"s .

Hope this helps
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 17:46   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I think your M-A-S-S was referring to the IACV, or idle-air-control-valve, its basically a stepper-motor driven valve that sits underneath the throttle-body (in the Alto).
Thanks for the clarification buddy. May be it is causing more air in, and hence ECU injecting more fuel, and hence high idling?

Quote:
Yes, the Alto's throttle-body does have a screw for adjustment - the accelerator cable wraps around a plastic semi-circle which has a protruding tab on its underside, this tab rests against the adjustment screw which acts as a stop (backing the screw out reduces idle RPM).
Um.. what exactly does this screw adjust?. Air, Fuel, or Air Fuel ratio?. However, will give it a try.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 01:06   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Hi All

I have a 99 carb zen ran 43k, have been facing an issue for quite sometime, when i start the car in the morning the car starts but is very sluggish till the temp comes to the optimum point. Once the temp has come up then everything is fine no issues at all.

Same is observed after you park the car for more than 5hrs or so the same sluggishness even if you floor the pedal its slow till the temp comes up.

Showed at MASS left it there of a day they could find out what the issue was, suspecting a carb issue i had serviced the carb no luck, Checked the tappets all good, battery good, all wires good, spark plugs good. Not able to understand why this happens.

Noted a small oil leak from the distributor section, i think the O ring is gone and needs replacement. Could this be the culprit.

Team please do let me know what could be the reason as am out of ideas
Leak from distributor? AFAIK the only thing that can leak inside distributor is the small condenser so just open the distributor cap and check for dampness there on condenser body. When you have open it, also check for any sideways play in the rotor shaft.

I suggest you get the ignition system throughly checked and serviced. Parts to look closely for fitness are:
- Ignition coil
- Plug HT chords (check with multimeter, resistance should not be more than - 15 ohms)
- Distributor
- spark plugs (change if they are old, I suggest Mico Bosch W8DC)
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 14:02   #234
BHPian

@tazzyboy

Symtoms u have written suggest a faulty ignition timing,a retarted timing will cause the engine to be very sluggish until it heats up to certain level, i would suggest to check the timing and set it as per manual.

My 02 zen faced a similar problem and its only when the timing was checked it was found to be retarded my MASS to solve a knocking problem...
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 22:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Note however that the ECU would itself try to adjust the idle RPM, so fiddling with the idle screw alone doesn't guarantee resolution of idle-speed issues.
hey mate, it could be the part you have suggested, but not sure. However, what's a stepper motor, pardon my ignorance if it's a commonly known component.

Lastly, as somebody else also asked, what can be expected out of this idle adjustment screw in terms of functionality because what as you have correctly said, the ECU would do it's job of keeping the rpms correct by possibly modifying some other parameters.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 18:39   #236
BHPian

Default Service update @10 years and 140000km

The ever faithful Zen is 10. If school geography serves me right, she has covered almost half of the globe's circumference @ the equator. No fuss. Make half of that on LPG. Recently did 120 on a short stretch of the old Bombay Poona highway (on petrol of course). No fuss.
On the same road yesterday, a Tata Sumo maniac overtakes from the left, cuts in front and brakes!! Blind bat didn't see I was behind a towing vehicle. I brake in panic waiting to hear the noise, but all I hear is the screech of rubber on tar. Maybe my heart was doing 120, but the car, NO FUSS. Thank God there was no one behind me!! (I've had that experience a little too much)

Back to the service -

Engine oil, oil & fuel filter, spark plugs, brake pads, radiator cap & fuel pump to carb hose - were replaced. The last one probably as I was experiencing cold start problems/jerks.

Labour included servicing, W/A + W/B & tyre rotation and brake related works.

Total bill - 2700

Got a new car perfume - not only does the car feel smooth-new, it smells new too!
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 19:30   #237
BHPian

Default Zen VXi - 5 years and 53,000 kms

My Zen just came back from service today. Had to change the Clutch as it was slipping. The AC compressor too has become weak in its pumping action. For now just had the refrigerant gas recharged, and it is cooling well now. Lets see if it lasts me for this summer, or leaks out.

Apart from the regular oil changes, injector cleaning and servicing, I had to change the boot door balancer rods, as the old ones could not hold the boot open and it used to drop down on its own.

The Clutch set for the old Zen VXi was Rs. 1987/- only
The rear boot door balancer rods were Rs. 364/- each.
AC gas recharging was Rs 900/-

I had the tyres changed at 52,000 kms. Got all 5 Michelin XM1+ tubeless tyres from MHKS Tyre Division on Kamptee Road, Nagpur. Paid Rs. 2250/- for each tyre, which is quite reasonable I think. The wheels were balanced and aligned at the same time.The ride quality of the Michelins is amazing! Very quiet and good grip.
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 21:43   #238
BANNED

In my Zen mpfi 2002 I am having idling issues(uneven idling ) since past few weeks. I have already checked spark plugs, fuel , air filter, petrol filter .

Can someone please help in noting down what all may cause uneven idling (It will go up and down).
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 14:30   #239
BANNED

I solved the problem .There is a sensor in throttle body in in which there is a bearing and it was not free so cleaned it up and no idle rpm fluctuations now .

By the way MASS asked for some 5000/- for sorting the issue which involved changing few sensor , ht cable , spark plugs etc. Thank god they did not ask to change the car .I wonder what is the use of so many MASS when they are so incompetent.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 14:46   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I solved the problem .There is a sensor in throttle body in in which there is a bearing and it was not free so cleaned it up and no idle rpm fluctuations now .

By the way MASS asked for some 5000/- for sorting the issue which involved changing few sensor , ht cable , spark plugs etc. Thank god they did not ask to change the car .I wonder what is the use of so many MASS when they are so incompetent.
They are not incompetent.

They believe in if-there-is-a-problem->replace-everything-around-it rather than diagnose and repair.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote