Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd April 2011, 00:56   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
Hi Sir, congrats on the buy. If it is the first service after you have procured the car, it is best that you get all the oils and filters changed. The engine oil consumed, I guess is, 3 liters. Not sure though. The major services are done in multiples of 20. Hence parts maybe changed at 20,40,60k etc. My car has done 102000 and am using synthetic oil.
Thank you! Call me Arvind not Sir, yes this the first service after I have purchased the car. I have driven roughly 2K after the purchase. which brand oil you are using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
3.7 liter is for engine oil .Castrol magnatec is good .It will come in 4L can and costs like ~ 1000 rs .
Check for disk pads and disc brake itself . Replace them if needed . Replace rear drum brake pads also at the same time .
Replace water belt and AC belt , they will have cracks .(this is preventive but not needed ) .
Its recommend you to replace all fluids , Gearbox oil,engine oil ,bleed brakes with fresh oil , replace radiator coolant .

There is manual some where on this website itself search .
thank you very much, its very informative. I did find the owner manual, it states 3.3Ltr for engine oil, I am going to purchase the oil myself hence the question. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I got a can of Castrol Magnatec for my IKON today. Cost me 900Rs for 3.5 Liters. And these days, they come in 3.5L Can.
Thank you.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 22nd April 2011 at 01:06.
arvindmanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:29   #257
BHPian

Hi I have a zen and have some queries-
I would like to know if any other car's carburetor can fit the zen and which of them can give more power than the stock mikuni carb?
Is there any harm in fitting the petrol filter in the engine bay firewall?
The interiors of the petrol tank is slightly rusted. I have read somewhere that if you mix some engine oil with petrol the rusting would reduce. Is its advisable to do so?
What is engine decarborisation? Will it improve the engine performance Or is using petrol additives better?
The engine vibrates for a second when pressing the accelerator before rpm goes up. This is hapening when hot or cold. It is getting annoying. I just cant move the car without the whole interior giving a rattle. Is this behaviour with all zens? I did not find this problem in mpfi zen. MASS is saying it is fine but i am not so sure.
Requesting opinions of all zen experts and owners.
knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:34   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob View Post
Hi I have a zen and have some queries-
I would like to know if any other car's carburetor can fit the zen and which of them can give more power than the stock mikuni carb?
You probably could, but I doubt if that would give u any significant additional power with the stock engine.

Quote:
Is there any harm in fitting the petrol filter in the engine bay firewall?
The interiors of the petrol tank is slightly rusted. I have read somewhere that if you mix some engine oil with petrol the rusting would reduce. Is its advisable to do so?
Did u actually see inside the tank? Maybe rusting would reduce in the tank by adding oil, but what about damage to the fuel pump/filter clogging, spark plugs?

Quote:
What is engine decarborisation? Will it improve the engine performance Or is using petrol additives better?
Decarbonisation is the removal of carbon deposits. This is a dicey subject; generally not needed in today's cars. Physical decarbonisation involves opening engine parts - as MASS say, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

Quote:
The engine vibrates for a second when pressing the accelerator before rpm goes up. This is hapening when hot or cold. It is getting annoying. I just cant move the car without the whole interior giving a rattle. Is this behaviour with all zens? I did not find this problem in mpfi zen. MASS is saying it is fine but i am not so sure.
Requesting opinions of all zen experts and owners.
Check the idling - maybe its too low.
Zen2001 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:07   #259
BHPian

congrats on great miles on zen..all zen lovers

me too a zen lover, my 00' model had clocked about 79k km till now. Used to service most times at UM cars, Indiranagar and some time while I go Calicut, Kerala. But always ensured done in MASS.

Will come directly to topic. My A/c was not at all cooling, so I did a gas filling on 17 Jul 2010 without any other repairs wrto the vehicle at a km 73079. Now after 9 months and at 78600 km, it has come to the same situation. All of a sudden yesterday morning was just thinking how wonderfully all works for zen, incl a/c which was giving decent cooling..aha what a car, zen the world car, ac cooling went down.

This always happens with me, eye on my own vehicles and next moment it goes kaput.

Anyways what should i do next. Can i go and blast UM Cars, which is not given the best of service with regard to A/c. They charged me 1400 incl labour for a/c gas filling.

Or nominally how long does the A/c cooling last after the refill. I use A/c always, esp in bangalore and only time i may not use it is inside forest !

Another noteworthy item is I always do On/Off, so that when i feel cooling is upto a certain point i run only the blower. And also while vehicle is gaining speed from lower gear (say 1st /2nd.3rd) I make it off and then mostly I s/w on AC only when sufficeint speed is gain or only in 5th gear or so.

Does this harm the vehicle or A/c by anyway.

rgrds
prsn
prsnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:27   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
congrats on great miles on zen..all zen lovers

me too a zen lover, my 00' model had clocked about 79k km till now. Used to service most times at UM cars, Indiranagar and some time while I go Calicut, Kerala. But always ensured done in MASS.

Will come directly to topic. My A/c was not at all cooling, so I did a gas filling on 17 Jul 2010 without any other repairs wrto the vehicle at a km 73079. Now after 9 months and at 78600 km, it has come to the same situation. All of a sudden yesterday morning was just thinking how wonderfully all works for zen, incl a/c which was giving decent cooling..aha what a car, zen the world car, ac cooling went down.

This always happens with me, eye on my own vehicles and next moment it goes kaput.

Anyways what should i do next. Can i go and blast UM Cars, which is not given the best of service with regard to A/c. They charged me 1400 incl labour for a/c gas filling.

Or nominally how long does the A/c cooling last after the refill. I use A/c always, esp in bangalore and only time i may not use it is inside forest !

Another noteworthy item is I always do On/Off, so that when i feel cooling is upto a certain point i run only the blower. And also while vehicle is gaining speed from lower gear (say 1st /2nd.3rd) I make it off and then mostly I s/w on AC only when sufficeint speed is gain or only in 5th gear or so.

rgrds
prsn
How you use the a/c should not harm it. 5k kms is too less for it to stop working after a refill.

Why don't you get it checked at the service station; have the compressor and a/c valve too.

By the way, Zen isn't a car with a great a/c anyway!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:54   #261
BHPian

Question Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Did u actually see inside the tank? Maybe rusting would reduce in the tank by adding oil, but what about damage to the fuel pump/filter clogging, spark plugs?

Check the idling - maybe its too low.
I did see inside there were little rusted patches here and there in the filling tube, when the rubber hose was replaced. How can the rust be removed?

Idling is normal. Even if the idling is high, the same thing is happening. The moment you press the accl. the car just shivers and then revvs up. I cant manage to drive smoothly from idle and start and stop situations. Also the car I tested was not mpfi but carb only and it was 2001 model, it didn't show this type of shivers. Is there something different in the cars before 2001?

And how about the petrol filter in the engine bay? Some kids are always removing it and getting out petrol. So I want to fix it on the firewall. Will the temperature affect it there?

During cold idling there is very little sound for the engine. But when it is warmed up, I can hear a slight tik tik tik tik sound from the engine. It only comes up when hot. The valves are adjusted so that could not be it. Is this a problem?

Sorry for the noob questions but please do reply. Thanks.

prsnck that could be the valve issue. I had the same problem, the valve was stuck in open position due to some dirt and all gas escaped in around 5 months. Go to a good a/c shop and just replace the valve and clean the seating and then fill with gas and oil. Also clean the cooling coil under the dash board.

Last edited by knob : 23rd April 2011 at 11:58.
knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:18   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will come directly to topic. ...... ac cooling went down.

rgrds
prsn
The mpfi Zen AC was rated high in some auto magazine around 2000 when it was first launched .Then I realised those idiots had checked the temperature at the AC vents !!!

On the Zen AC,the key is to ensure that you dont have foreign debris like leaves blocking the HVAC system.My car has done 1.9 L kms and still cools the same way as it used to 10 years ago.I strictly follow a few steps :

In all our cars ( ANHC,Lancer,Indigo,Alto ,Zen) we never switch on the AC till the temp needle comes to the operating temperature.

We dont switch on and off the AC at short intervals i.e once you switch off,you wait for sometime before you switch it on

Clean the AC condensor (next to the radiator) with high pressure water atleast once a month

In the Zen ,before every summer ,we service the AC ( i.e cleaning,refilling gas,oiling ...).While its need based on the lancer.The ANHC is brand new ,so never bothered to do it till now as its under warranty.My brother drives the Alto and its very poorly maintained ,still I know the AC cools better than the Zen :(

On the sudden cooling loss ,sometimes,the Zen AC relay is at fault .I have had to change it 2-3 times in the last 10 years ,when you would check if you have had the heater on by mistake

BTW ,was jut browsing through my service records.I just noticed that I have never changed my side indicator (both front and rear ) bulbs or my rear stop/brake light bulbs even once till date .

1.9 L kms ,still does 160+ kph on speedo (147-152kph on the GPS ),12kpl these days in the city and around 16-17 kpl on the highways with AC on 100% times except on ghat roads.

165/65r13 tires and 36 psi .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:48   #263
BHPian

Quote:
The engine vibrates for a second when pressing the accelerator before rpm goes up. This is hapening when hot or cold. Idling is normal. Even if the idling is high, the same thing is happening. The moment you press the accl. the car just shivers and then revvs up. I cant manage to drive smoothly from idle and start and stop situations.
Check your engine and gearbox mountings. Also check your fuel pump.
Quote:
Will come directly to topic. My A/c was not at all cooling, so I did a gas filling on 17 Jul 2010 without any other repairs wrto the vehicle at a km 73079. Now after 9 months and at 78600 km, it has come to the same situation.
Check whether you have sufficient gas in your system - if not before refilling the gas get the system pressure checked for any leak from a good AC service center. If you have the gas - then the fault is elsewhere - you need to check your system. BTW are you filling the right refrigerant ? Because in the 2000 models the refrigerant used was R12 which is banned now and most AC service guys don't have this gas. They will just fill up the R134 gas which is used with the new compressors without informing you. That will be good for some time - but as it is not compatible with the old compressor, the compressor will finally give up.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:55   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I dont think UM Cars is the culprit, because the loss of cooling is probably because of loss of the refrigerant. 1400 seems to be the correct price.
Quote:
Or nominally how long does the A/c cooling last after the refill.
Well, theoretically, the cooling should last infinitely.

But, leaks arise in the system, which reduce the cooling efficiency. Check for any leaks in the system and ONLY then refill again. Or else, you will have cooling for 1st few hundred kms, and again it will go down.

Quote:
No it does not harm the AC in any way. This misconseption about switching ON and OFF the AC is bad was originally developed, because that is the case with Home/Office AC's. But not with car AC's.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 16:23   #265
BHPian

thanks guys for all replies..and it was pouring replies.

Now to the topic, a/c not cooling was non-techincal fully. First up, my bad that I did not open the hood and had a check. Me went to same UM cars, got to know that compressor wire was cut by a mischief rat in my parking area. It was just a 10 min work to insulate that and had put some mesh kind of covering to prevent further grinding by mr. rat.

Also next time will check if the AC folks are filling the right version of gas, some one told R12 rather than new version.

rgrds
prsn
Old 17th May 2011, 17:10   #266
BHPian

Default Drive Shaft due for replacement

My 00' zen (carb) has done 79k km and have ensured (2nd own) that it is regularly serviced at 5k intervals. Have put on new rubbers (bridgestone orginal zen profile..i dont rem exaclty.) at 69k km. Only major service I remember have done is suspension spruced at 39k km when I took it, paid about 7k. Other than new rubber replaced, its been a lucky charm for me with not much complaints and regular fluids and maintenance till this drive shaft issue has popped up.

Last time i visited UM cars, indiranagar had checked the tik tik sound from front wheels while i turn a curve or take a round fully.

SA told drive shaft is gone, and up for replacement on the RHS. Estimate was about 4k-5k including the labour.I could not check the price of MGP drive shaft and not sure what all needs to be replaced other than drive shaft, in case drive shaft is due for new. Also prefer a better service center than the current one I use. How is Suraksha, in bomanahalli for maruti vehicles. Want a service center where, replacements are genuinely done from your prevoius experiences and if you can refer, highly appreciated. I have heard that more we drive the vehicle with the drive shaft issue persisting, more bad for the axle as well bearing. So would like to sort it out soon, rather waiting for more worse.

Is it true that in case drive shaft issues are found out early, we can live without a replacement. Is it that once this sound comes, and ensured its from drive shaft, that we should ALWAYS replace the faulty one. Does repair of drive shaft works in any way. Being novice here, I always drive and still prefer vehicle in pristine condition irrespective of the kind of work and amount to be spent on vehicle. If it technically says that its mandatory, I am fine without any doubt in mind to do so.

So I would need that technical perfection from a well known and genuine service center. Guys in case you know either PM me or post a reply here.

rgrds
prsn
Old 17th May 2011, 19:13   #267
Team-BHP Support

Once the sound starts you are already late. Usually a cut boot is the cause, so inspecting the boots every service is the only prevention you can do. Since the shafts are not very expensive for a zen, get it replaced and ideally as a pair (ie both L and R side).
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 23:48   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Once the sound starts you are already late. Usually a cut boot is the cause, so inspecting the boots every service is the only prevention you can do. Since the shafts are not very expensive for a zen, get it replaced and ideally as a pair (ie both L and R side).
Yeah, prevention better than cure. Jaggu, any idea how much would be approx estimate ( Pair of MGP drive shafts + labor). Heard there is one another brand than delphi, not recollecting the name though. Welcome your inputs.

In case you in bangalore would be knowing some better mechanics and service center.

rgrds
prsn
Old 18th May 2011, 11:12   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
By the way, Zen isn't a car with a great a/c anyway!
Agree.
I always used to call the AC button, TURBO BOOST button.
The moment the ac was switched off, my zen used to accelerate like a rocket
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:44   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Agree.
I always used to call the AC button, TURBO BOOST button.
The moment the ac was switched off, my zen used to accelerate like a rocket
I had a question very similar. I have noticed that Zen AC desnt have thermostat adjustment! I meant that, no way one can change the cutoff temp so that compressor cuts off at much higher temp.

Also, AC service guy told me, if I use COLD<->HOT adjust it will just open vent which brings in hot air with cold air. In short its more passenger cabin control than compressor thermostat control.

Till I know, in new cars, that COLD <-> HOT adjust meant changes compressor thermostat cutoff.

Please correct if wrong...
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote